Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic 91mm: will metal saw/file replace blade layer?

Offline MikeJay

Vic 91mm: will metal saw/file replace blade layer?
on: November 15, 2022, 04:07:22 AM
Just bought a Swisschamp specifically for my first Vic mod (I like a challenge lol). I want to remove the blades (I ALWAYS have a main blade on me), wood saw, and fish scaler. Also crossed my mind to swap the Phillips/mag layer with the pliers so that the Phillips is more centered.

Anyway I have searched here and found very useful info in general. But nothing specific to this - any experience with using the metal saw/file in combination with the corkscrew? Hoping for a plan before I go tearing into it. The file does look a bit thinner than the main blade but I don't have calipers. Is it as simple as adding washers to the file, or will I find the corkscrew is incompatible with the file's spring? At the moment it has the small chisel on the bottom, which I don't need.

Random thought - file and pen blade on same layer ???

Also considered flipping the openers to the corkscrew side. I did see that somewhere, along with filing down the corkscrew base, but then I lose the awl :(

Offline ComboTool

Re: Vic 91mm: will metal saw/file replace blade layer?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 09:45:11 AM
I've never done this but there's an example here so it's definitely possible. My guess is just to adjust the thickness with washers and bend the file so that it doesn't hit the small blade.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 01:15:02 PM
I've never done this but there's an example here so it's definitely possible. My guess is just to adjust the thickness with washers and bend the file so that it doesn't hit the small blade.

Thanks for the link! Yes that would be ideal and proves it’s possible, but I wonder with how much modification? I can do some minor filing but I don’t want to get too complicated with the spring

us Online Enginears

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 03:13:31 PM
Here is some discussion from a modder on youtube that might be helpful.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 03:33:21 PM
Here is some discussion from a modder on youtube that might be helpful.

Awesome, even more detail. My take away is keeping the pen blade will be more finicky than I can deal with myself. But that was just an afterthought anyway. I’m happy with only the file, which appears to be only adding washers using the original blade spring. If correct, that’s definitely the way I’ll go.

I say that as if it’s easy, but being my first Vic mod I’m not sure how well my spacing will turn out. Too lose? Too tight? Not like a torx LM where I can use trial and error repeatedly

us Online Enginears

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 08:02:45 PM
I think foregoing the small blade will eliminate the need for the extra liner, but create the additional need for a spacer in place of the small blade. You could cut the blade portion off the small blade or make a spacer that matches the dimensions of the normal small blade spacer, but with the thickness of the small blade. For the spacer on the file side, you may look into making one from a liner, I have found that works for using a wood saw in place of the main blade. Good luck! Post pics and let us know how it works out.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 04:14:55 AM
Update and progress!
Finally got the nerve to disassemble. I'll soon post detailed notes and lessons learned along the way by a newbie. But once it was apart the answer became obvious: I don't even need or want the corkscrew! Duh. And the back layer Phillips would be redundant. This is my mod! I can do what I want :D
So the simple solution was to remove the entire blade layer altogether - including the corkscrew. This leaves the file layer with the small chisel. I use screwdrivers much more on medical equipment, especially smaller screws. So I swapped the small flat driver out to the file layer in place of the chisel. Everything now fits perfect with zero grinding, zero washers/spacers. It will unfortunately leave a big glaring spot with a flat driver instead of a bulky corkscrew filling the space. But to me I get a more useful tool, even thinner profile, and less work - win win win.

To be clear, the corkscrew would have worked with the file layer if I had filed down the outer side of the base where it fits between the liners - from about 2.5mm to 1.75 mm.

I have it all back together up through the last liner. I haven't yet peened it. I`m going to sleep on it a day or two and make sure I`m happy with my decision. But I`m pretty sure this worked itself out very well. One benefit to just jumping in and doing it.

So I ended up with Top layers: openers, inline phillips & magnifier, pliers, scissors, and metal saw/file. Bottom: awl, hook, and small flat driver.

us Online Enginears

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 12:26:30 AM
This is my mod! I can do what I want :D

Thats the best part of mods! Sounds like a good plan, keep us posted.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:28:35 PM
Created a new follow-up at completion of project here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,90145.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%