Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite three layer

Poll

What do you prefer and why?

Climber
18 (23.1%)
Camper
1 (1.3%)
Farmer
8 (10.3%)
Pioneer X
18 (23.1%)
Yeoman
9 (11.5%)
Hiker
3 (3.8%)
Super Tinker
10 (12.8%)
Swiss army 7
0 (0%)
evo grip/S14
3 (3.8%)
Spartan lite
1 (1.3%)
84mm model
0 (0%)
Other?
7 (9%)
3 layers are no good
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Favorite three layer
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 06:11:09 AM
Pioneer X: Alox & scissors.  What's not to love?

:iagree: 'nuff said!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #31 on: December 13, 2022, 06:46:34 AM
Yeoman!  My all time favorite SAK.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #32 on: December 13, 2022, 11:28:35 AM
3 layers is a bit ‘meh’ for me - I like my stayglow climber as others have mentioned but I tend to go 2 layers or loads however, the Trailguide has a lot of what I use in a really nice compact package. I’d like a Marlboro one but not much chance of finding one here at a sensible price ( and I wouldn’t carry a collectible like that) so I modded one with ‘brasox’ scales and slipped a cheeky awl in too.

I’ve just put this love child of the automobile and mechanic (automechanic?) together too which makes a pretty dense toolset for 3 layers!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #33 on: December 13, 2022, 03:59:44 PM
3 layers is a bit ‘meh’ for me - I like my stayglow climber as others have mentioned but I tend to go 2 layers or loads however, the Trailguide has a lot of what I use in a really nice compact package. I’d like a Marlboro one but not much chance of finding one here at a sensible price ( and I wouldn’t carry a collectible like that) so I modded one with ‘brasox’ scales and slipped a cheeky awl in too.

I’ve just put this love child of the automobile and mechanic (automechanic?) together too which makes a pretty dense toolset for 3 layers!

Both look amazing, I could see myself carrying an automechanic to good effect. I am curious about the indent on the brasox scale, is that required when using an 84mm combo tool on a 91? Or something else.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #34 on: December 13, 2022, 04:49:31 PM
 Cheers. I think I just liked the cutaway following the nail nick on this one (that is a 91mm combo). But yes, although it would still be accessible if you did use an 84mm tool it would sit lower down so it would improve access to the nick doing that too….

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #35 on: December 14, 2022, 02:27:36 AM
I love my Yeoman, Climber, and Climber Small, but I think my favorite 3-layer is my newest mod which I'm calling a Deluxe Compact. My 4-layer Deluxe Climber is one of my favorite knives because of the super handy pliers. Getting it down to three layers makes it a great EDC.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #36 on: December 15, 2022, 03:24:25 AM
I feel like I need to put in a couple of solid weeks with my new-to-me Evolution 14 to see how I like it compared to the Climber.

Anyone have any opinions on that model? I really like my Evolution 18, 10, and 11 so I assume I’ll like the 14 too!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #37 on: December 15, 2022, 04:35:34 AM
I feel like I need to put in a couple of solid weeks with my new-to-me Evolution 14 to see how I like it compared to the Climber.

Anyone have any opinions on that model? I really like my Evolution 18, 10, and 11 so I assume I’ll like the 14 too!
I have an Evo 14 and like it a lot.  A little shorter than the Climber plus it has a nail file and a scissors!  It has a different sound than the Vic knives, possibly bec of the scales?  Once you get used to them the contoured scales are pretty nice and give a very different feel in hand than a Climber.

us Offline 264

Reply #38 on: December 15, 2022, 10:16:55 AM
I voted for the Evogrip S14 because it is smaller than the climber. I have arthritis in my hands so the smaller size makes a difference for me. Over time I have come to the conclusion that I like the tools in the climber better. So if Victorinox still made 84mm climber that would be my choice. 

us Offline Enginears

Reply #39 on: December 15, 2022, 03:18:03 PM
I have a Wenger traveler that I like quite a bit in theory but I don’t end up carrying as much. The size is amazing, the file is great, but the snap of the tools is weirdly strong on the scissor and weak on the opener layer. The can opener seems like a great scraping and boring tool but it rarely is used compared to how much I use the vic awl. All this to say maybe I need a modern Evo or S-14 to try as an EDC.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 25, 2022, 08:27:50 PM
Super Tinker for me all the way. I've probably used it more lately than my Spirit.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #41 on: December 26, 2022, 01:11:24 PM
I voted for the Climber. It’s the only 3 layer I have and I just got it two days ago (black colored scales). But I put a lot of thought into choosing it for an EDC prior to getting it, and the only other one that compares closely in my opinion is the Super Tinker. The Climber outweighs it in usefulness by being able to untie knots and carry the mini screwdriver. I prefer the canopener tip for Philips screws so it’s more like using an inline screwdriver, so the only advantage I saw with the Super Tinker’s 90° Philips driver is just better retention of the cheap sewing kit pins I use for a straight pin. To me these are a throwaway item so I haven’t tried the Victorinox pins to see if they stay put in the scale any better. The pins tend to slip out every so often, so 90° Philips driver being solid would keep the pin from sliding out too far where the corkscrew’s hollow center allows it to come out too far and prevent the corkscrew from being opened without first using the toothpick to push the pin back into its hole again. I haven’t had that problem on the Climber yet, but my Huntsman and Ranger both do it so I’m expecting it. Ok, now I’m rambling, so I’m gonna stop here. Climber for me.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #42 on: December 26, 2022, 04:19:38 PM
 :climber:

No surprise we are neck and neck between climber and pioneerX with those  substantially ahead of the rest. I suspect the yeoman fell back due its relative rarity and expense if modded. This poll and my other knives have led me to want two new 3 layer knives, pioneerx and s14.

I also have been carrying a new modded 3 layer that is a climber with a saw swapped for the main blade. It is great, especially if you are carrying another main blade of some kind. Pretty much the functionality of the Huntsman.

Offline Big ol’ Hauger

• New User
Reply #43 on: January 02, 2023, 09:13:19 PM
I probably carry the Pioneer X as much as any model. It is also one of the few I have multiples of. I picked my brother up a BSA Yeoman for Christmas (a mod) and he is tickled with it! He has been carrying an Explorer for years. He found out about the existence of the Yeoman recently, and had found what he thought would be his ideal toolset. Ha! Like that is possible. A couple of days later, he told me he misses the awl. I have been on the hunt for the Trail Guide for a while. I have one, but it has been sorely mistreated in its previous life. One showed up on the Bay today, and my finger lost all control when that “buy it now” button appeared in front of me. As far as my favorite three-layer goes, it is one that will never spend any time in my pocket: the Mauser.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #44 on: January 03, 2023, 01:13:14 AM
I have a Wenger traveler that I like quite a bit in theory but I don’t end up carrying as much. The size is amazing, the file is great, but the snap of the tools is weirdly strong on the scissor and weak on the opener layer. The can opener seems like a great scraping and boring tool but it rarely is used compared to how much I use the vic awl. All this to say maybe I need a modern Evo or S-14 to try as an EDC.

I’ve noticed the same thing on my Victorinox branded Evolution 14 - the resistance on the back springs is strangely inconsistent. The scissors are the strongest, then the blade/file layer, and the opener layer is the weakest feeling of the springs.

Not that the opener layer necessarily has to be super high tension but I thought it was a little strange. But I chalked it up to mine being bought used off eBay.  :dunno:

Otherwise, I will echo what someone else said a few posts above me - I find it a little hard to get too excited about the 3 layer models sometimes. There’s not that much variety in the current lineup. It’s either scissors or the saw. Both are great tools, of course! But it’s not much in the way of variety.  And if I have the Climber it doesn’t add much weight or thickness to go up to the Huntsman or Evo 18 and now I have both tools in a package that’s pretty lightweight for a 4 layer SAK.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 04, 2023, 06:22:00 PM
Soldier/ OHT

* P_20230104_091803.jpg (Filesize: 62.75 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #46 on: January 04, 2023, 08:41:45 PM
I carried a Super Tinker for many years, so I guess that's my choice. Still a good choice, but three layers is a little thick for me for daily carry any more.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #47 on: January 05, 2023, 01:09:11 AM
I carried a Super Tinker for many years, so I guess that's my choice. Still a good choice, but three layers is a little thick for me for daily carry any more.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. It was recently pointed out to me in the Top 5 SAKs thread that most of my favorite models are 2 layer knives.

I’m much more likely to have a Spartan, Tinker (and the 84mm versions), or Recruit in my pocket than a Climber or Super Tinker. I also think the 2 layer Evolution models are pretty sweet too.

If I’m going “more SAK” on a particular day for some reason, I’m probably going straight to a Huntsman or Explorer and skipping the 3 layer SAKs altogether.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 05, 2023, 10:39:20 PM
Climber, with PX a close second. The PX is more stylish, but the small blade is simpy one of my favourite tools.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #49 on: January 06, 2023, 12:42:01 PM
Mechanic  8)

us Offline DavZell

Reply #50 on: January 08, 2023, 07:06:29 PM
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #52 on: January 10, 2023, 11:20:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

:facepalm:

Ask and you shall receive!

Here’s my “birth year” SAK - a Climber from the early 80s. As always, it can be hard to date a SAK with any real precision in most cases. I was born in 1982, so I’m calling this one close enough.

For comparison, here’s my modern Climber purchased brand new in the summer of 2022.

It’s in my pocket today!

I do carry and use the 1980s model sometimes. But I have to be careful opening the scissors. They have the screw joint and when it loosens up it can be a little treacherous to open - they are sharp!

The move to a river joint was a definite improvement from my point of view.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #53 on: January 11, 2023, 08:45:39 AM
Nice. It’s the little details like the fluted corkscrews, screw pivots and grey mag surrounds that give these earlier knives their character and, even though they were of course, makes them feel less mass produced in my opinion. Some of them I think a lot of us would like to have remained but I think most would agree with you on the scissor pivot being an improvement! :0)

es Offline zdec68

Reply #54 on: January 11, 2023, 09:40:04 PM
My vote is for the Climber, although right now I'm getting used to the Super Tinker. But if I could only keep one, the Climber would be the one

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%