Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit driver extender “mod”

hu Offline Mangyang

Bit driver extender “mod”
on: December 01, 2022, 03:21:22 PM
About the Extender: someone wrote here that they use it with a magnet. Since I dont want to spend that much money on the ridicolous lm bit kits I thought I might try it. I ripped out that ridicolous ring spring from its place and stuffed in a little magnet That fell out of a regular bit driver. I didnt have to glue it in place and it holds bits very well. They still sink a tad deep into the extender but it is much better with the magnet’s elevation.

Is it true that Leatherman makes these nowadays with a magnet included?

Also a little side note: It is much more controllable to drive in screws with this addition. I’d say its almost a must have for screwdriving.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Bit driver extender “mod”
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 03:44:33 PM
 :tu:  Nice mod.  I also prefer a magnet within the holder so I modded one that I had around. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 04:48:33 PM
It is a great mod idea for sure  :salute: these days I use the LM Ratchet Driver and it does have a magnet :tu: The split ring can be quite aggravating to have if you use a short bit :ahhh

Great pics as well :tu: :like:

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 04:29:40 PM
Some update on the magnets. I had to replace the first magnet because I needed to elevate the bits some more to be able to use the system effectively. (Short note on magnet remowal. Apply a drop of super glue on the magnet, push in a screw or something wait 10 seconds then pull, and you have your magnet removed  :rofl: because other methods may damage your nerves or your magnet).
So I bought some neodymium magnets. The diameter is 6mm, the height is around 7 mms. (I ended up using 8,5 mm). It is very strong and it works very well. Easy to pull out standard 1/4 “ bits.
There is one downside to this mod: I csnt use the bit holder with Leatherman bits anymore. Unless I remove the magnets. But I wont need to do that. So thats it.  I hope this story might help someone.

PS: the longer reach negates the off centerness of the bit driver, and it is much more convinient to use than the bit driver without the extender.

Surge says: NOW I AM COMPLETE!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 04:47:54 PM
Gotta love neodymium magnets 8) :D

I have found many uses for them over the years and this is just another example of how very handy they are :salute:

Great pics and glad you have the extender the way you want it, Mang :woohoo: :like:

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 06:11:20 PM
Thank Poncho!  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 04:36:23 PM
That a very nice outcome.  Those magnets do come in handy. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD