Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Class of 2007

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
The Class of 2007
on: March 13, 2007, 06:32:09 AM
2007 seems to be a new Golden Age for multi-tool nuts with offerings coming from CRKT,Gerber.Leatherman,SOG,and Spyderco; and those are just the ones I know of. But as far as I can tell,none seem to be creating any real buzz,except maybe the SOG. Are people kind of underwhelmed by what they see,or just taking a wait and see attitude,wanting to hold the real thing in their hand? Any thoughts,anybody?
I

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Re: The Class of 2007
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:26:59 AM
The only real innovation IMO is from CRKT.  The rest are just refinements of previous designs - evolutionary rather than revolutionary.  I think a lot of us here are pleased to see new models, but are hoping to see more creativity in design.  The manufacturers are honing their designs while we'd like to see a clean sheet.  That's why you see posts with crazy tools like the Chinese hatchet thingie & the mods by Doug (lonediver).  Why have just plier-based designs & SAK's?  Why not have wrench-based & hammer-based & hat-based (hat-based?) & new implements - drills, shears, sharpeners, prybars, etc.  The sky's the limit.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:32:25 AM
I think the buzz is kind of held back a bit by the fact that none of these actually seem to be available yet...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:35:39 AM
Maybe to some extent people are happy with what they already have , with the tools being as well made as they are with 25 year warrentys or longer in some cases do they need another that does the same as the one they already have . Why is there a need to bring 3 or 4 tools out a year that really do what the basic models were doing 5 or 10 years ago .Some could argue that some models on the market havnt changed in years and still sell like hot cakes .Some manufactures seem to have turned it into a fashion parade . Of course as collectors and enthusiasts this is great but we only make up a small % . One thing is for sure the plier based multitool as we know it is here to stay  :D Too many manufactures are making them so its never going to be disscontinued by all of them .It will be interesting to see what other replies we get .

Dunc

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 02:32:32 PM
I agree that most of the tools with the exception of the CRKT are just refined versions of already good tools.  One problem or benefit (however you view it) with SOG is that they always seem to dangle the carrot in front of the donkey.  Their new assissted opening multi wont be available for a while which keeps some interested and turns others away.  I am suprised that we have not seen any real "new" ideas.  I would like to see a swisstool with a compound leverage plier like the SOG but with the precision of the Victorinox spirit.  I would also like to see a swisstool with interchangable pliers and/or a ratchet.  The class of 2007 does appear to be promising though.     

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:44:28 PM
I agree once again with alot of you folks on here, SOG is offering two new tools, the Powerlock 2.0 isn't much different that the original, thier one comming up with the assisted blades seems "kinda" cool but they sacrifice on what tools are included in the package. CRKT's tools are very interesting to me indeed, the Zilla tool in particular, like the Buck X-Tract and the Meyerco Paradox they make the plier/knife package one, granted your usage of what you can do with the pliers is limited but for someone that doesn't need a dedicated pair this is the way to go, the Guppie seems cool as well, not only does it have hex bits but it's the only tool I have seen in a while that has an adjustable wrench instead of regular pliers. For the minimalist, like the Zilla, lets hope Leatherman's new freestyle is what some of us are looking for. 2007 is going to be a pretty good year for tools, I am just as excited as the rest of you, in a market that seems tapped out at times, companies still continue to innovate and create what they feel is the next level.

I do agree with Def's comments about the LM Core, in a world of fancy featured tools the Core is just a bare bones tool that is ment to do the task at hand. No one hand opening, no fancy locks, no "flair" Just a tool that works. Maybe we are getting too much into the fancy and the BUZZ of what is "cool" and "neat" and the companies need to focus on what "works", just a thought. We keep creating, but what is wrong with what is already out on the market today? I love to see new stuff but when will it all end? when will this place become discussion for the mulitool revolution rather than it's continuing saga, 2007 is good. What happens in 08, 09, 10, etc. Only time will tell. Until then let's hold our beloved tools high and give homage to thier creators in hopes of the brighter future that is multitools.

David Bowen

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:27:20 PM
Innovation is what drives sales.  We may have more than one of the same tool, but the average Joe won't replace his until he loses or breaks it.  That spells stagnant sales.  New tools spells new press releases & interest at the stores to carry them. 

Occasionally you'll see the tool market try to do this with sockets or box-end wrenches, but most mechanics ignore the innovations, & these products get purchased by Aunt Lulu to give to Junior at Christmastime.

I believe there's plenty of room for improvements, & that's why I'm so vocal in suggesting changes & new designs.  I'm not content with the present offerings for my EDC.  They're brilliant pieces of engineering, but they still don't meet all of my needs in an easy-to-carry package.  That's why I'm experimenting so much with carrying different tool combinations & even regular tools.  I look at a task & think of what tools I need to complete that task.  Then I look at my multis & see which one/s are up to it. 

There's a reason that my maintenance friends don't carry multis.  That's a huge market the multitool manufacturers have yet to tap into.

So keep innovating.  There's a huge future ahead.  I'm glad to see new tools from almost everybody.

Tom

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:35:46 PM
There's a reason that my maintenance friends don't carry multis.

Most of the maintenance guys I know carry some kinf of multi, although most opt for the cheaper ones since maintenance guys aren't usually paid overly well, and they don't care if the break or lose a $15 one from Wal Mart.  If Leatherman, Gerber, SOG etc want to tap that market, they'll have to do something about that.  Leatherman's warranty service is pretty good, but that still means that the maintenance guy is without his $80-100 tool for about two weeks.

Besides, it's way cooler to put a guy in fatugues and a rifle or firefighting gear with a huge blaze behind him in their ads than a guy in stained coveralls standing ankle deep in backed up toilet effluvience.  Kind of funny actually.  I had a similar conversation with Spirited (Helena, where are you!) about her views on many of the "manly men" type ads, and how she felt most of the guys featured doing tough jobs and adventures in the ads would probably run like hell when faced with a dirty diaper!   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 06:06:35 AM
Some things that leave me curious,are how many of the new crop will still be on the market 4-5 years from now.Will Kershaw re-enter the multi field?I also wonder if Vic will follow on with any variants of the Spirit.As much as I'd like to see Vic to come out with something to go up against the Juice line,I really don't see that happening,they'd be competing with their own SAKs
I

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:12:09 PM
As far as I am concerned the 2 CRKT models are the only new inovasions this year. SOGs cutter is also of interest but the assisted opener is a no no to me as far as the law is cocerned over here (UK) and many other countries the loss of tools and having to explain why you have a spring opening blade (a variation of flick) makes of dubious use.
It may be just my opinion but as far as the LM Freestyle, the Zilla has whipped it straight out of the starting blocks for most people who want the tool not the brand name. Anything smaller the Gruppie would do, only thing that worries me about that on some sites I have read it has a 'Zytel handle' if that means the torch/bit holder thats ok but if they mean the tool main frame is Zytel then I am disapionted.
What would I like to see on a multi apart from a ratchet bit driver, a tool working like a pair of locking forceps, I think that could prove useful but a gizmo that kept the jaws closed (not locked) on whatever you were holding would be just as useful.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD