Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anything on the horizon for you in 2023?

Aloha · 23 · 1076

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Anything on the horizon for you in 2023?
on: January 01, 2023, 08:58:40 PM
I know its only day 1 but was there anything you passed on last year for whatever reasons this year you'll pick up?

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Anything on the horizon for you in 2023?
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 09:19:10 PM
If I passed on it last year I will likely pass on it this year unless I have the money alloted for it :whistle: :D :cheers:

us Offline Enginears

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 09:28:59 PM
I have been looking at leathermans, I imagine this year I will get my first one. Pretty expensive though. In retrospect I should have got the one offered at costco last year.

This year I plan on focusing on hiking/camping/boating and really putting my tools to work.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 12:49:56 AM
Enginears, I got the Costco Bolster as my first Leatherman. I didn't really care for it, and I think the build quality is well below their standard. A used PST or Bond is a great affordable  way to try them, without going all in on at Wave or something. Leatherman also offers several pretty aggressive discount programs, I think most people qualify for at least one (or know someone who would). https://www.leatherman.com/special-discounts.html

For me, the only big tool purchase I've been holding out on is Swisstool. I almost pulled the trigger on one late last year, but I decided to wait since my wife was sniffing around for gift ideas. If one doesn't turn up by my birthday (next week), I'll probably get myself one as a graduation gift when I finish my Master's this summer.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 03:08:55 AM
I do have some plans for 2023. I hope to acquire more fixed blades. Essentially I'll be starting over with trads, buying Rough Ryders to see what I like and then buying older and more expensive examples of patterns I like. Maybe I'll pick up a Leatherman here and there...but since my main Leatherman goal is getting more Juices, it doesn't seem likely unless prices drop like a rock.

SAKs are easy to explain: I'll be focusing on Alox, Bantams, and logos.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 04:29:44 PM
Not only things passed on but anything that was on your "list" that will be pursued?  Sometimes I passed on things because I was busy getting other things.  Sometimes I got distracted or went down another rabbit hole.  Maybe last year you were introduced to things not familiar and will pursue those? 

For me I'm pretty tapped on MTs tho I could be persuaded by a Signal or MUT with Ti pocket clip.  I'm pretty well set on most I wanted. 

Flashlights were something I thought I was set on till I peeked at Anduril UI.  Thankfully I got on and its as fun as I hoped.  I was looking for a great keychain light and also got one, Rovyvon A5.  I was interested in a light with laser and Gearforwards told me about Olight and Powernoodle picked on up.  I'm still very interested in one.  Hoping this year other makers will think to put one out. 

I dipped my toes in the 18650 pond but thankfully for me its more of a puddle.  I sure I wont go to far with it.  I did pick up a much nicer battery charger which was over due.  So as for flashlight, I can see myself interested but it has to be something pretty specific.  I passed on a lot last year so this year might be the year. 

Knives I'm pretty well set on.  My Bradley Alias 2 ticked a lot of boxes for me.  I'll be honest tho, I was ready to sell off as many MTs to get a used small sebenza  :whistle: but that'll be something I'll continue to pass on.  Knives I'm really good on.

Traditional folders....  I'm glad I didn't pass on my Tony Bose Premium Stockman.  I almost did as usual when something cost as much.  Thing is, after spending the money I was ready to spend similar on a GEC  :D.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this type of spending.  My trad buying slowed then darn near stopped once I made that purchase.  I am eyeing some GECs that I would have never spent the money on before but as said my TB Stockman was the gateway....... 

Thats about it for me but I reserve the right to change my mind  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 09:00:43 PM
Knives

This winter, a Fiskars Puukko has really proven itself as a winter work knife, as it hangs down below my coats, is quick to access, and is comfortable to use. I plan to add more Puukkos and similar.

I want to add a few vintage Case Jack patterns (99 especially)

I plan to focus more on bone and stag instead of Delrin.

Case's new "tactical" offerings that are made in-house have really tempted me. Unlike the old Tec-X line, these are made in the US.

Tools:

It's been long overdue for me to buy a Signal.

Despite carbide cutters and spring-action pliers (two things I can't stand), I'm really curious how the new GOAT offerings are going to be in my use.

Despite being imported, the Gerber Dual Force is the Center-Drive minus the bits I really don't care about on it.

For watches:

I have been meaning on buying a few older pocket watches. I'm wanting something like a Westclox or Hamilton for day-to-day use (and besides, my overalls still have a place to attach the chain!--Liberty, apparently, has never changed the design). Nothing really ornate or pretty for the user, but I'd like to have a really old one from like 100+ years ago just to put in the display case.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 09:37:37 PM
Not only things passed on but anything that was on your "list" that will be pursued?
I'll definitely be pursuing knives decked out in Micarta.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 12:54:11 PM
This year I plan on focusing on hiking/camping/boating and really putting my tools to work.

This is the best plan I've heard all day.

Some unforeseen events kept me awake the night from Sunday to Monday, so after work yesterday I didn't really have the energy to take on any demanding tasks, whether they be physically or mentally challenging, so it was the perfect occasion to set aside some time and plot down some hiking/backpacking ideas. Some of them have been swirling in the back of my head for a while, I just had to put them on paper and work out the details.

It was a really fun and inspiring exercise. Some thematic ideas that I think will be very fun, some destination/area/route focused ideas and some ideas on how to progress to the next level of backpacking with my kids. And even some long term ideas that skews more toward long distance/UL section-/thruhikes, though we don't really have that around here, it will be similar in spirit. Really excited about the coming year and to see how many of these ideas I manage to put into life.

Regarding tools and backpacking, I've gone significantly lighter the last 4-5 years. I don't think I used to pack my fears, but rather a touch of cognitive laziness that made it seem easier to just carry a big, heavy MT with lots of functions than to actually do the analysis and figure out what I'd be likely to need. Besides, I wasn't really that interested in the tools themselves until very recently, they were just items that I acquired and carried out of necessity, so there was also less to choose from.
My best advice is to take the time and do the analysis to figure out what you might need, and carry just that. Maybe it's just my age, but I find a lighter pack to be significantly more enjoyable than being prepared for every scenario that might occur, however unlikely. If you don't have a lot of tools to chose from, then just carry what you have. You might end up with a heavier pack, but packing and deciding will be easier :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 03:36:23 PM
 :iagree:

Engineers response was great.  Getting out to enjoy is a terrific thing regardless of what it is.  Combining hobbies is also pretty darn fun too.  Our love of hiking and camping mean I can take my sharps out and give them a play and real world use. 

aicolainen, good you made time to plot out some adventures.  As time and opportunity permit you'll be scratching items off the list. 

Covid slowed us down quite a lot, the lock downs.  Seemed 2021 was a year of "new normal".  This past year had its own challenges.  You are a good reminder as was Engineers post that sometimes a good first step is planning. 

Thank you.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 04:44:31 PM

Engineers response was great.  Getting out to enjoy is a terrific thing regardless of what it is.  Combining hobbies is also pretty darn fun too.  Our love of hiking and camping mean I can take my sharps out and give them a play and real world use.

aicolainen, good you made time to plot out some adventures.  As time and opportunity permit you'll be scratching items off the list. 
Indeed. Outlining the ideas and working out/deciding on some of the important details (route, logistics, time of year, acceptable weather window, minimum and maximum time frame, etc) allows me to prepare in advance, have some semi-packed setups ready to go so I can react faster when the stars align and weather, light conditions, conditions on the ground and all people involved have- or can take time off from work. This approach significantly increase the likelihood of having the ideas carried out and helps bump that number of days/nights spent outside. This is moving off topic really fast, so I'll round off here, but this tangent might be food for a thread of its own, in a more suitable sub-forum. If there is time and interest.

Covid slowed us down quite a lot, the lock downs.  Seemed 2021 was a year of "new normal".  This past year had its own challenges.  You are a good reminder as was Engineers post that sometimes a good first step is planning. 

Thank you.   
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what the term lock downs imply subjectively, as measures seems to have varied tremendously from place to place. I don't feel that we had lock downs here, in the true meaning of the term, but rather limitations on social interaction. I hope I don't offend anybody by saying this, but I lean toward introvert on the social scale and the combination of still having the unrestricted freedom to go out and be active while not having to come up with constant excuses to avoid social duties and gatherings, gave me a unique chance to focus and dedicate time to do the things I personally find really meaningful. I spent more time outside- and have been more physically active the last three years than I've been at any point after having kids. And I'm probably in the best physical shape I've been in about 10 years. I won't get into the politics of it, but just want to clarify that I in general am very skeptical toward limiting peoples freedom, and I wish it was less of that even here. I'm likely the outlier that benefitted more than I was harmed, that does not IMO outweigh the overall negative effects if people in general did not.

I really hope you and everyone else that has been held back by the series of events we've been facing the last couple of years are on a steady course back towards old normal and can re-gain the momentum to go out, create memories and use your tools.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 04:52:24 PM
Another good post  :tu:.  I lean towards introvert as well.  MTO makes it easy to mingle and blab about things I like. 

My partner had some health issues in the last quarter of this year.  They linger on and will require care and monitoring.  We were very active exploring our wonderful area.  We will modify what we do so she can still enjoy getting out without tiring her too much.  I can get out solo and will do so also encourage my daughter to come along.  Once she graduated college she's been so focus on careers.     

It's great to hear you've been active.  Best shape in 10 years  :salute:, good for you.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Enginears

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 02:20:38 AM
Enginears, I got the Costco Bolster as my first Leatherman. I didn't really care for it, and I think the build quality is well below their standard. A used PST or Bond is a great affordable  way to try them, without going all in on at Wave or something. Leatherman also offers several pretty aggressive discount programs, I think most people qualify for at least one (or know someone who would). https://www.leatherman.com/special-discounts.html

For me, the only big tool purchase I've been holding out on is Swisstool. I almost pulled the trigger on one late last year, but I decided to wait since my wife was sniffing around for gift ideas. If one doesn't turn up by my birthday (next week), I'll probably get myself one as a graduation gift when I finish my Master's this summer.

Thanks for the information, makes me feel less like I missed out on something with the Bolster. I am eye balling the Wave I think. The PST looks cool but the features of the wave make it very desirable. Good luck on completing the masters! A swiss tool sounds like a great graduation present.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 02:41:11 AM
This is the best plan I've heard all day.

Some unforeseen events kept me awake the night from Sunday to Monday, so after work yesterday I didn't really have the energy to take on any demanding tasks, whether they be physically or mentally challenging, so it was the perfect occasion to set aside some time and plot down some hiking/backpacking ideas. Some of them have been swirling in the back of my head for a while, I just had to put them on paper and work out the details.

It was a really fun and inspiring exercise. Some thematic ideas that I think will be very fun, some destination/area/route focused ideas and some ideas on how to progress to the next level of backpacking with my kids. And even some long term ideas that skews more toward long distance/UL section-/thruhikes, though we don't really have that around here, it will be similar in spirit. Really excited about the coming year and to see how many of these ideas I manage to put into life.

Regarding tools and backpacking, I've gone significantly lighter the last 4-5 years. I don't think I used to pack my fears, but rather a touch of cognitive laziness that made it seem easier to just carry a big, heavy MT with lots of functions than to actually do the analysis and figure out what I'd be likely to need. Besides, I wasn't really that interested in the tools themselves until very recently, they were just items that I acquired and carried out of necessity, so there was also less to choose from.
My best advice is to take the time and do the analysis to figure out what you might need, and carry just that. Maybe it's just my age, but I find a lighter pack to be significantly more enjoyable than being prepared for every scenario that might occur, however unlikely. If you don't have a lot of tools to chose from, then just carry what you have. You might end up with a heavier pack, but packing and deciding will be easier :)

Yeah my obsession with SAKs and tools cropped up from my interest in outdoor activities. I do not have a huge amount of experience yet but my approach to backpacking has been starting with a minimal 10 C’s kit and expand incrementally. My newest purchase after the holiday is a 3x3 DD tarp, which should be here this week. I go as far as sketching out different ways to pack my stuff for carry. I think once I find a workable kit and put some usage time on it I can begin replacing items and getting more into the UL side of it.

Integrating the kids into it is always an interesting exercise. I have3 young kid, one who loves getting carried on my back during hiking, which is great if it is just me and him. The slightly older ones have done some hikes but their willingness varies quite a bit.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 05:48:49 AM
Case's new "tactical" offerings that are made in-house have really tempted me. Unlike the old Tec-X line, these are made in the US.

My thoughts on the Marilla:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82675.msg2380377.html#msg2380377

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82675.msg2390610.html#msg2390610

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 01:20:58 PM
I go back and forth on picking up a Vic Skipper in the blue scales.  :whistle:. Other than that, nothing really.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:38 PM
I’ve been thinking about adding a Pioneer X to the stable. I find I prefer three layer knives,  and that one has most of the tools I need on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Adam5

Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 12:10:06 AM
TL-29s and possibly a few BO Leatherman tools (PST, Super Tool, Blast  :dunno:)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 02:43:41 AM
I’ve been thinking about adding a Pioneer X to the stable. I find I prefer three layer knives,  and that one has most of the tools I need on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sincerely doubt you would regret picking up a Pioneer X. 

:tu:

Offline mansedan

Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 05:04:22 PM
Probably gonna snag a Leatherman Curl.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 05:29:39 PM
Some good choices.  I don't imagine any of the above would be regrettable. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 12:37:15 AM
I know its only day 1 but was there anything you passed on last year for whatever reasons this year you'll pick up?

Living in the United States.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 01:06:43 AM
 :waving:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68