Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tween Challenge - 84 and 85mm SAKs

Sos24 · 1281 · 27896

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Tween Challenge - 84 and 85mm SAKs
Reply #1260 on: July 01, 2023, 01:02:49 PM
:like: Bella :tu:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #1261 on: July 01, 2023, 01:16:33 PM
Thanks John. Cheers!

:cheers:

Its been a couple years since my last challenge, we still start a new thread named ""badge request with a link to day 30s " post , yes ?

Hey Storm Here are the instructions for requesting the badge  :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 02:45:00 PM by Explorer »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1262 on: July 01, 2023, 03:30:19 PM
Day 30!

So last day, well yesterday was but here we are.

Glad for this Challenge because it was a chance to see how much difference a smaller SAK would make.

Short answer is none.

The difference between my Tinker Small and say the Voyager in the picture while hanging in my pocket was nothing. Both virtually disappear.

That is to say there is nothing that make me enjoy one over the other. Tool and model selection in 91mm is much more broad.

So in conclusion it was a fun experiment but my 91mm SAKs aren’t going anywhere.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1263 on: July 01, 2023, 04:18:12 PM
Which larger SAKs? 111mm?
 :iagree: Give us a few more 84mm models instead of spendy limited editions and another Classic SD!
My pleasure! If red trips your trigger, here you are. Note that those will have the retailer's logo on the engraving panel. I don't know of a source for a red Alox Bantam without a logo.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN0230020KC/victorinox-swiss-army-bantam-multi-tool-33-red-alox-handles-super-slim-knifecenter-exclusive

https://www.dlttrading.com/swiss-army-bantam-alox-red
Easily found, if you don't mind a retailer's logo. Again, I don't know of a source for one without the logo.

https://www.dlttrading.com/swiss-army-cadet-blue-green

Thanks again to awl who have made this a terrific challenge, and thanks to Sos24 for hosting! :cheers:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remembered many years ago, when colored Alox was a scarcity, and Vic used to make colored Alox for different retailers, without the logo.  Prices were crazy, and people were flipping colored alox on ebay like crazy. 

Then Vic have decided to put an end to this whole craziness, and restricted pure color Alox only for their own production.  Retailers could still order color alox if they like, but each has to bore the retailer's logo and the colors are usually more mundane (the regular red, blue, black, etc).  The more vivid colors have seemed to be reserved for the limited edition each yea.

Wowzers, thanks for the link Dan.
Sticker shock🤪

The Silver Cadet I broke free this month was found at pawn shop in the package for less than 20 bucks. Had 3 and left with awl 3. Of course that was a few years ago.  Still have a Wenger Traveler in the package, and a Tech Climber.

But, I do like the blue Alox. 🥹

20 bucks for a Cadet, and you got 3?  That's a sweet sweet deal!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1264 on: July 01, 2023, 04:23:35 PM
Day 30

Pretty typical day for the Cadet, trimming a couple cigars and opening a beer.

It has jumped out of my pocket several more times, and this annoying habit is throwing its future as a pocket carry for me into serious doubt.  It has taken a couple of falls onto hard surfaces like tile and concrete, but thanks to the alox scales it has only sustained minor cosmetic damage.

Thanks for a fun challenge, awl!
Nate, you'd probably think of this, but nowadays, I always carry my SAK/tools with a pocket organizer. 

Amazon has a pretty good one made by Viperade, and it uses X-pac material, which is pretty lightweight.  It fit perfectly in my cargo pants pocket, and make loading/unloading EDC items that much quicker each day.

DAY 30

We went out to the cabin and don’t have the best reception, so I’m hoping this is going through. It was a hot one and wanted to have Bella in the last pic but this is all she could muster. While I’ve got many Inbetweeners wanted to use the cadet exclusively just to test it out and wow what a great model.

Its slimness and usefulness are equally matched and it will be getting much use in the days going forward. It’s been great spending June with you all. Some really amazing pictures and creative uses, which is no surprise with this motley crue.  :drink:

Thank you to SOS for putting on this challenge. It was great fun and I learned a lot about how much I’m liking the cadet model.

(Image removed from quote.)

Lovely pix to end the challenge with!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #1265 on: July 01, 2023, 04:33:30 PM
Thanks Comis  :cheers:

The badge came out great :salute:

Oh awlmost forgot….
 :facepalm:

Badge requested  :ahhh

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #1266 on: July 01, 2023, 08:37:11 PM
It was a hot one and wanted to have Bella in the last pic but this is all she could muster.
Stay cool (in more ways than one), Bella! :like:

Correct me if I am wrong...
I think you got it about right. Both DLT Trading and Swiss Knife Shop have confirmed that it is Victorinox policy to have retailer logos on red, blue, green, and black Alox.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1267 on: July 01, 2023, 09:41:34 PM
What sort of pants did it jump out of? I typically wear tactical pants, and have yet to see a knife slip past the flaps over the thigh pockets. If tactical pants are not an option, perhaps a slip would serve you and the Cadet well for pocket carry.
They are cargo shorts, which is typical for me.  I carry the knife RF pocket with my wallet.  These shorts don’t have flaps over the front pockets.

Nate, you'd probably think of this, but nowadays, I always carry my SAK/tools with a pocket organizer. 

Amazon has a pretty good one made by Viperade, and it uses X-pac material, which is pretty lightweight.  It fit perfectly in my cargo pants pocket, and make loading/unloading EDC items that much quicker each day.

I do appreciate the suggestions guys.

The issue  seems to be that knife gets caught up with my wallet, and when I pull the wallet out, the knife comes out too.  I’ve carried a variety of knives this way for about 30 years, and I can’t recall having this problem with anything else, so I’m disinclined to get different pants or change my carry approach over it.  I’m thinking that the combination of length, weight, and thickness is creating this problem.

I’ve also never been a fan of pocket slips or pocket organizers.  I feel like one of the reasons to carry a pocket knife to begin with is for convenience, and if every time I use the knife I have to go through the extra steps of removing the knife from the slip or organizer, and then returning it to slip or organizer, that makes it less convenient.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #1268 on: July 01, 2023, 11:10:08 PM

The Silver Cadet I broke free this month was found at pawn shop in the package for less than 20 bucks. Had 3 and left with awl 3. Of course that was a few years ago.  Still have a Wenger Traveler in the package, and a Tech Climber.

But, I do like the blue Alox. 🥹

Ya know, I found my first Cadet at a knife show, a year or 2 before the covid hit.  It was some goldfish looking color in a $10.00 bin.  Didn't care for the color but for a ten spot it was mine.

Victorinox Alox Cadet.jpg
* Victorinox Alox Cadet.jpg (Filesize: 294.37 KB)

Those $10.00 bins can hide a lot of good stuff.

Dalton Knives.jpg
* Dalton Knives.jpg (Filesize: 258.08 KB)

Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #1269 on: July 02, 2023, 12:11:39 AM
BBabyccino? Are you already trying to instill in them a love of coffee?
They already make me coffee with their play-kitchen stuff. They even get the correct number of sugars!
This all came about because the 2-year-old started asking if she could have one... I didn't even have to try :D

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #1270 on: July 02, 2023, 12:55:32 AM
I've enjoyed all your posts and photos.  I like this size very much.  Lately my favorite knife has been this Evowood 10.

* 010a.jpg (Filesize: 315.04 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #1271 on: July 02, 2023, 01:06:00 AM
They are cargo shorts, which is typical for me.  I carry the knife RF pocket with my wallet.  These shorts don’t have flaps over the front pockets.

The issue  seems to be that knife gets caught up with my wallet, and when I pull the wallet out, the knife comes out too.  I’ve carried a variety of knives this way for about 30 years, and I can’t recall having this problem with anything else, so I’m disinclined to get different pants or change my carry approach over it.  I’m thinking that the combination of length, weight, and thickness is creating this problem.

I’ve also never been a fan of pocket slips or pocket organizers.  I feel like one of the reasons to carry a pocket knife to begin with is for convenience, and if every time I use the knife I have to go through the extra steps of removing the knife from the slip or organizer, and then returning it to slip or organizer, that makes it less convenient.

I don't know if this is what's happening for you but sometimes the entire pocket gets pulled out as I remove my wallet, dumping whatever else was in there.  Happens a lot with sweats.  The pocket goes outside the pants instead of inside.  Inside out.  If so one idea I've had is to tack the bottom of the pocket to the inside of the upper leg with needle and thread so it can't come out like that.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1272 on: July 02, 2023, 02:16:12 AM
I don't know if this is what's happening for you but sometimes the entire pocket gets pulled out as I remove my wallet, dumping whatever else was in there.  Happens a lot with sweats.  The pocket goes outside the pants instead of inside.  Inside out.  If so one idea I've had is to tack the bottom of the pocket to the inside of the upper leg with needle and thread so it can't come out like that.
Thanks for the thought, though this doesn’t seem to be what’s happening.  The pocket doesn’t end up inside out. As best I can tell, the thinness of the Cadet allows it to work its way partially into the wallet while in my pocket (I’ve a bifold wallet); then when I remove the wallet from my pocket, the SAK often comes with it, and usually falls on the ground.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #1273 on: July 02, 2023, 07:01:38 AM
I wouldn't have left that Cadet in the $10.bin, either. Excellent score!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1274 on: July 02, 2023, 04:35:58 PM
Thanks Comis  :cheers:

The badge came out great :salute:

Oh awlmost forgot….
 :facepalm:

Badge requested  :ahhh
:hatsoff: :D

I see you point about the inconvenience, and that's the same reason I never did put much stuff in the organizer, so the SAK/knife could slip very easily in/out from it. 

I usually prefer a pocket organizer which fills my cargo pants pocket, so it will stay upright inside the pocket, and easy to retrieve the tool. 

Slip is alright, but it may keep on rolling around in a large pocket, trying to fish the tool out was cumbersome at best.

But if organizer or slip is not your thing, maybe a long lanyard attached to the belt loop? :pok:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1275 on: July 02, 2023, 04:37:50 PM
Ya know, I found my first Cadet at a knife show, a year or 2 before the covid hit.  It was some goldfish looking color in a $10.00 bin.  Didn't care for the color but for a ten spot it was mine.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Wow, no kidding!  Great deal!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1276 on: July 02, 2023, 05:08:36 PM

I believe the color is called “champagne gold”, and was a 2019 limited edition.  Good score!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #1277 on: July 04, 2023, 11:53:37 PM
Have a great weekend, great to have you on the challenge!  :cheers:

Great wrap, thank you for the mention and see you on Dean's trad challenge!  :like:

Thanks Comis! it was fun
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #1278 on: July 20, 2023, 12:18:25 AM
DAY 0  Looking forward to tomorrow :nanadance:

(Image removed from quote.)

What is the large knife?  Or, more to my curiosity, what is the metal tool opposite the inl8ne phillips?

Thanks!
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #1279 on: July 20, 2023, 01:32:29 AM
What is the large knife?  Or, more to my curiosity, what is the metal tool opposite the inl8ne phillips?
Universal wrench... or spanner, if you're in a UK-ish speaking country: 
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Universal+Wrench

Basically handles nuts and bolts between 5mm and 8mm. Surprisingly useful.
The Vic version is (presumably) a recast of the original Wenger but with a shorter neck and less defined 'teeth'. I prefer Wenger's, but both are cool.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #1280 on: July 22, 2023, 11:12:03 PM
Universal wrench... or spanner, if you're in a UK-ish speaking country: 
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Universal+Wrench

Basically handles nuts and bolts between 5mm and 8mm. Surprisingly useful.
The Vic version is (presumably) a recast of the original Wenger but with a shorter neck and less defined 'teeth'. I prefer Wenger's, but both are cool.

Thank you!
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62