Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old SAK Vic service question

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Old SAK Vic service question
on: April 07, 2023, 05:45:27 AM
Any of you all ever sent a OC Alox or 61’ Soldier to Vic for service?

I worry about them replacing my brass liners or date stamped blade.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Re: Old SAK Vic service question
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 05:50:47 AM
Also wonder if they would even service a SAK so old.

Is there a limit to how long they warranty?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 03:11:13 PM
I’ve read on here in years past that people would request they not change certain things, or return old scales/blades. But I wonder if there’s a difference between Switzerland and US service?

I think they try to repair any knife, but I also recall someone saying the older ones (like older than the alox pioneer models) they charged for since they would hand make some parts and it was only Switzerland.  :think:

Hopefully someone with an actual helpful answer jumps in. 
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 04:36:21 PM
I have a 1981 Victorinox Soldier with WK scale engraving. The small screwdriver at the end of the tin opener was broken. I didn't want to lose the dated blade or WK scale. It was sent from the UK to Switzerland. Without dismantling the knife, the cutler refashioned the existing broken tool. It's not what I expected, slightly shorter, but it is perfectly serviceable and it was obviously done by hand by a skilled worker so for me this adds something to the story of the knife.

My only costs were postage to the UK agent and then return postage from the UK agent. Shipping to and from Switzerland and the work itself were free.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 06:51:28 PM
I have a 1981 Victorinox Soldier with WK scale engraving. The small screwdriver at the end of the tin opener was broken. I didn't want to lose the dated blade or WK scale. It was sent from the UK to Switzerland. Without dismantling the knife, the cutler refashioned the existing broken tool. It's not what I expected, slightly shorter, but it is perfectly serviceable and it was obviously done by hand by a skilled worker so for me this adds something to the story of the knife.

My only costs were postage to the UK agent and then return postage from the UK agent. Shipping to and from Switzerland and the work itself were free.

That’s pretty cool.

I have a couple of old SAKs with not a lot of snap. Might just need some major clean and oil action?

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 10:22:22 PM
:popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 11:26:11 PM by Explorer »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 10:26:46 PM
I sent an early 80's Master Craftsman in to have the springs replaced, as well as my beloved Huntsman (1983).  They did a great job on both with no issues.  The key is to make certain you check the sentimental block before you send it in or you might get a new knife back. 
Barry

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 10:56:41 PM
I sent an early 80's Master Craftsman in to have the springs replaced, as well as my beloved Huntsman (1983).  They did a great job on both with no issues.  The key is to make certain you check the sentimental block before you send it in or you might get a new knife back.

Oh no?!

A brand new OC Harvester? Yes please.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67