Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 day OPINEL CHALLENGE March 2024

Farmer X · 1148 · 26140

cz Offline AndyAaron

Re: 30 day OPINEL CHALLENGE March 2024
Reply #1080 on: March 30, 2024, 06:56:03 AM
Day 30

I knew I’d enjoy this challenge and it didn’t disappoint, thanks everyone and many thanks to Barry for all his comments and encouragement :tu: :cheers:

Not sure what’s happened to FarmerX who originally suggested the challenge, hope alls well with him

I got my first Opi, a #9 Carbone, 15 or more years ago but it’s the 7 or 8 in stainless steel that I use daily in the kitchen, swapping between them every few months

During the combo edge challenge I carried the 8 outdoor a fair amount and it’s become a real fave, I really like the DIY too

Here’s the family :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)
I have 5 Opies. Looking at your collection I don’t have to worry about adding some more :D

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1081 on: March 30, 2024, 07:54:20 AM
I have 5 Opies. Looking at your collection I don’t have to worry about adding some more :D
:D

Great think about Opi’s is they’re so reasonably priced. If you don’t have one already, the no 8 outdoor is a little bit different and a great addition imo
 :cheers:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #1082 on: March 30, 2024, 07:58:14 AM
Day 30
No. 8 and No. 13 posing together:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #1083 on: March 30, 2024, 08:18:13 AM
Day 30
No. 8 and No. 13 posing together:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I honestly didn't realize the size difference, that's crazy

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #1084 on: March 30, 2024, 08:22:12 AM
DAY 30

Randomly my watch completely fell off my wrist a few days ago? The plastic shim that holds it on to the watch face pins just broke in half....not repairable and funds are short....so made a start on making a new leather watch strap

This has been a fun challenge, thank you @LoopCutter for making me few welcome and forgiving my late start (aka giving me a virtual kick up the backside)

I have reconnected with an old friend in the opinels throughout this challenge, and I can see them staying by my side or in my pocket forever more....just the same as the humble SAK classic is permanently on me in my wallet.

Many thanks to all that joined the challenge, it has been fun to see all your posts and comments.

Gra
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 08:27:57 AM by gra_farmer »

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #1085 on: March 30, 2024, 11:01:37 AM

Great think about Opi’s is they’re so reasonably priced. If you don’t have one already, the no 8 outdoor is a little bit different and a great addition imo
 :cheers:
I realized I cannot even count
Outdoor 8 is in the house.

I was wondering about no.6 as it should be reasonably sized for the pocket and still have useful blade (the length).

Day 30
Family count

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #1086 on: March 30, 2024, 11:51:11 AM
Day 30

woohoo! Another month has flown by. Here today's carry, doing my morning studies before I head off to work.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Enginears

Reply #1087 on: March 30, 2024, 02:55:21 PM
Day 30

I loved getting to see everyone’s uses, collectables, old  workhorses, customs, scenery and coco the dog. I bought my first Opinel for this challenge and grew a small collection over the month. Here is my small rundown:

No. 9 Inox - will have as my camping blade, cooking etc.

No. 8 Carbone - perfect blade for daily tasks but just slightly bulky in the pocket. Perfect for my horizontal belt sheath

No. 8 Pruner - Awesome gardening and organic material collection knife. 

No. 7 Carbone - I may be carrying this one for the foreseeable future. So light, small, and seriously capable.

No. 2 - very funny, have not found much use. I am thinking of having it as a replacement for razor blades in some of my kits.

IMG_6607.jpg
* IMG_6607.jpg (Filesize: 291.89 KB)

IMG_6608.jpg
* IMG_6608.jpg (Filesize: 216.52 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1088 on: March 30, 2024, 04:05:29 PM
Day 30

When discussion of this challenge was in the wind last year, I did not own any Opinel knives, had little interest, and thought I will follow along.  The thoughts of others and pictures sharing their  Opies and uses gathered steam.  Especially Barry’s shares over the next several months got me to start paying attention, including his wife claiming a Walnut model.
So, I made first purchase, a No8 Olive Wood, a No8 Walnut as well, then still short for free shipping I needed  another, was it the garden model or a No6, the details are blurry…
No more needed,  I was set for when ever this challenge discussion took root.

So I thought 🙄.  Now, looking back, the 3 were cool, what else should I look into :think:   

Blade differences, Picnic kit is cool, smaller size, oh my COLORS😎, 😵‍💫.  I was bedazzled, charmed beyond words, no nail breaking back springs, light weight, grainy wood handles, bright colors , 1+ 3 + ? = MORE

IMG_5754.jpg
* IMG_5754.jpg (Filesize: 139.83 KB)
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1089 on: March 30, 2024, 04:20:51 PM
I must also add to my Day 30 post!

I have as a GREAT PLEASURE Sharing this challenge month with each of you and COCO.

SOS24’s  posting was always late at night, so being greeted in the  morning knowing awl is well in her world was a great way to start the day!

Echotech, on the opposite side of this blue marble, experiencing his day, facing his summer as I am dreading another winter day.   And his snail pictures👍

AndyAaron’s hand and Opinel visiting different Europe a locales, with mountain vistas, German cities etc. …

GRA_Farmer and his vintage knifes, surviving years of use, real use, and still classy appearing. His sharing his life. His farm, his family, just being real. Like a daily visit with a friend!

Enginears, Jones, BPRoberts, Barry., Alan, OldLefty, and awl the others, sharing a daily glimpse of your cutting tool of choice, are some much appreciated 🎉

Thank you

Hope yours is as good!

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #1090 on: March 30, 2024, 04:28:03 PM
I must also add to my Day 30 post!

I have as a GREAT PLEASURE Sharing this challenge month with each of you and COCO.

SOS24’s  posting was always late at night, so being greeted in the  morning knowing awl is well in her world was a great way to start the day!

Echotech, on the opposite side of this blue marble, experiencing his day, facing his summer as I am dreading another winter day.   And his snail pictures👍

AndyAaron’s hand and Opinel visiting different Europe a locales, with mountain vistas, German cities etc. …

GRA_Farmer and his vintage knifes, surviving years of use, real use, and still classy appearing. His sharing his life. His farm, his family, just being real. Like a daily visit with a friend!

Enginears, Jones, BPRoberts, Barry., Alan, OldLefty, and awl the others, sharing a daily glimpse of your cutting tool of choice, are some much appreciated 🎉

Thank you

:iagree: and  :like: :like:

This has been a fun challenge, and brilliant ice breaker for a relatively new member of the forum in myself.

I think you will find that all involved are likely to carry opinels for a while after this challenge.

@LoopCutter thank you for the invite I have enjoyed myself

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1091 on: March 30, 2024, 04:31:55 PM
:iagree: and  :like: :like:

This has been a fun challenge, and brilliant ice breaker for a relatively new member of the forum in myself.

I think you will find that all involved are likely to carry opinels for a while after this challenge.

@LoopCutter thank you for the invite I have enjoyed myself

Glad to have you, sharing your Opinels just makes a statement to the lasting legacy one can experience from time tested craftsmanship.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline UscgSal

• JOIN Knife Rights!
Reply #1092 on: March 30, 2024, 04:52:14 PM
 :iagree:
And one Final Family Foto

20240329_142953_copy_750x1000.jpg
* 20240329_142953_copy_750x1000.jpg (Filesize: 222.41 KB)
It's me, back with new phone after retiring.
Was Tony Sal. Ts-cg@Hotmail but locked

Now Salimbenetony@Gmail

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1093 on: March 30, 2024, 05:42:41 PM
Nice grouping Tony👍 :cheers:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1094 on: March 30, 2024, 05:45:59 PM
Do not ask me why this popped into my head,

But, did any of us or a Moderator commission a OPINEL BADGE for this 30 day Challenge???

I know I totally spaced out about this point!

Maybe, just maybe there is one responsible person here!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #1095 on: March 30, 2024, 05:51:55 PM
Just arrived in my mail box.

Yes, ENABLER, enabling,

IMG_5756.jpg
* IMG_5756.jpg (Filesize: 63.37 KB)

From the,  Opinel USA site.  This weekend!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1096 on: March 30, 2024, 06:28:58 PM

But, did any of us or a Moderator commission a OPINEL BADGE for this 30 day Challenge???

If it's not already in the works I'm thinking OPINEL across the top, the hand and crown under that and 3 & 0 on either side of the hand and crown.  Possibly with the background color being tan to match the standard Opinel beechwood handle. :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1097 on: March 30, 2024, 06:49:11 PM
Opinel '24 Day 30
Using the No12 saw to trim more of my mango tree.  I'm just raising the canopy enough so that I can mow under it without getting smacked in the face by branches and I probably should have done this months ago, but I held off because I knew I was going to get the Opinel No12 saw.  I really like it by the way.  It cuts beautifully. :2tu:

* Opinel '24 30.jpg (Filesize: 121.91 KB)

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #1098 on: March 30, 2024, 07:30:22 PM
[mention]LoopCutter [/mention] and all others, it’s been a pleasure to spend whole month in this community. I wasn’t sure at the beginning whether I can live only with Opinels and now I am wondering whether I even need any other knife.
We still have one more day to go so let’s make it worth it!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #1099 on: March 30, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
Day 30

The 8OD, with those weird sawish serrations, is after extensive testing, an A+ cardboard and tape cutter.

Quickie review of all my Opinels:

4 keychain: Meh. Too many rough edges to be comfortable in my pocket. Feels weird to have an Opinel with no ring. Could be a good option to drop in a kit or something.

6: Still probably my favorite as a basic pocket knife. Slips in the pocket easy, but big enough for most jobs.

7: Slightly larger, like it slightly less. I got this one second, and I suspect if I'd gotten it before the 6 my feelings would be flipped. Still a fine knife.

8: Sitting in the middle as a "medium" knife. It's fine? Kind of falls into an awkward medium for me.

8OD: Feels a little better in hand than the regular 8. Weird serrations are great for unboxing, but not a huge fan otherwise. Kind of OHO. Have some ideas to maybe make it fully... I'd probably just go for the 9DIY if I wanted something in this approximate size.

CYO 8: I carved it myself! And reprofiled the blade after I screwed up! This is officially the coolest knife I own! I'd carry it as a dress knife/conversation piece, if not as a main EDC. Fun project, well worth doing.

9DIY: Very comfy handle for the bit driver attached a reasonable sized work knife. I think this is my favorite of the "medium" size models.  Like the 8OD, I think I like these handles better than the traditional once you get to this size.

12OD: There's a lot going on here. Weird handle/blade ratio, hook sticking out of the handle. I don't know that this is a great primary carry for most people, but I think it'd be a good knife to have at the bottom of your bag, glovebox, etc.

Accessories:

O-Clip: Decent pocket clip. I'm not a huge clip guy, but they seem fine.

Picnic Kit: I like that the pieces are detachable, and the handle is better than a hobo knife. Practical, but probably more of a novelty.

Thanks for everyone else posting along, and Farmer X for hosting. I'm going to be main carrying a Rebar next month as my wife and I work on getting the 150 year old church we bought in shape, but I think the 6 will see a fair amount of pocket time. Great little backup when I don't want to fish the blade out of a larger/most complex tool.

* 30.jpg (Filesize: 104.67 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1100 on: March 30, 2024, 10:59:49 PM
Day 29

No. 10 removed a tag from this bunny bracelet for one of my daughters…
And

* IMG_2287.jpg (Filesize: 192.15 KB)

us Offline UscgSal

• JOIN Knife Rights!
Reply #1101 on: March 31, 2024, 01:43:50 AM
Thanks for the review BP and Barry for paying attention to me...
Good job everyone  :salute:
It's me, back with new phone after retiring.
Was Tony Sal. Ts-cg@Hotmail but locked

Now Salimbenetony@Gmail

us Offline JonesE

Reply #1102 on: March 31, 2024, 01:51:27 AM
Day 30

Just wanted to say thank you so much for having me along on the OPINEL 30 day challenge. I have grown to really appreciate this gem of a knife. It has been a lot of fun seeing what y’awl have been up to as well as what you are carrying. Thanks for sharing you collection pics. In past challenges I have endeavored to share pics of my area. Due to timing and circumstances beyond my control that didn’t work out this time. For those that did, thank you for the mini vacation. I truly appreciate it.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #1103 on: March 31, 2024, 04:17:34 AM

Comis is the go to badge guy if no one else has designed one. He was quite helpful with the100/108 badge. Drop him a line.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1104 on: March 31, 2024, 05:20:37 AM
 :cheers: Tony!  Great posts sir!
Thanks for the review BP and Barry for paying attention to me...
Good job everyone  :salute:
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1105 on: March 31, 2024, 05:56:07 AM
Day 30

No. 10 opened a new box of pull-ups for my youngest.

Not having carried an Opinel for any significant amount of time prior to this challenge, I’ve been really impressed with their performance.

The No. 10 has become a particular favorite:  a 4” blade in a 2.5 oz package, and the handle seems just about the perfect size for my hand.

I would like to see the synthetic handle line expanded.  Unique or gimmicky aspects aren’t necessary; just the standard lineup with synthetic handles would be fine.

Thanks for a fun challenge, all!

* IMG_2292.jpg (Filesize: 274.7 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #1106 on: March 31, 2024, 06:23:52 AM
28  Question

Nice Opi right...
Do you EDC it - obviously not a work knife?
What's your use for the Slim?  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
I have been thinking about this. It is a catch 22 because it would be great for someone who is near the sea and filleting fish a lot, but probably not ideal with the wood handle swell. To me they look so classy, I would want to carry it when dressed up but it is a bit big.  :think:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #1107 on: March 31, 2024, 07:41:40 AM
Thank you Enginears and LC, it’s been a lot of fun :cheers: Coco

au Offline Echotech

Reply #1108 on: March 31, 2024, 09:37:14 AM
I realized I cannot even count
Outdoor 8 is in the house.

I was wondering about no.6 as it should be reasonably sized for the pocket and still have useful blade (the length).

Day 30
Family count

They have a habit of multiplying :rofl:

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #1109 on: March 31, 2024, 09:44:02 AM
DAY 31 - Happy Easter everyone

A bonus day...and why not :-)

The No8 garden knife has been helping make chocolate Easter eggs for the family,  over seen by the oldest No8.

There is a tradition in the family to make, rather than buy Easter eggs and here is the results.

The last one didn't come out as planned, I am not distended to be a chocolatier as my hands are like hot irons and I melt chocolate upon touch....I am not kidding...so I had to do quite a bit of repair work on the bee
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:50:03 AM by gra_farmer »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD