Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Q for Wave/Charge AND SwissTool MX users

Offline Rudeboy Jackson

• New User
Q for Wave/Charge AND SwissTool MX users
on: June 14, 2023, 01:25:33 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm in the market for either a Leatherman Wave/Charge or Victorinox SwissTool Spirit MX. All reviews seem to point towards the SwissTool as the better option. However, the one thing keeping me from going ahead with the purchase is that I'm a bit worried about the nail nicks being the method of tool deployment. I find the can opener with nail nick wave a bit difficult at times to open, so wondering if I might have a hard time using the SwissTool.

For those who have both tools, how do you find opening the can opener on the Wave/Charge as opposed to the tools on the SwissTool?

Appreciate any feedback!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Q for Wave/Charge AND SwissTool MX users
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 02:23:16 PM
The Spirit nail nicks are much more easily accessible than on the Wave, and the action of the tools is lighter so in practice I find the Spirit easier to use.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 03:15:13 PM
 :iagree: spirit is easier to deploy nail nick tools.

But why not both?  :pok:

Offline Rudeboy Jackson

• New User
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 03:36:03 PM
:iagree: spirit is easier to deploy nail nick tools.

But why not both?  :pok:

Because....money 😅 Would love to have both, but have to choose one!

I'm torn between the two because the Wave/Charge has better OHO, that very useful hook on the serrated blade, and seems to be less slippery when wet (I work on boats), but everything else about the Spirit seems to be the better option. Also seems like the Spirit will be more comfortable to carry. Difficult choice!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:41:40 PM
I only have a regular Spirit and can never access the tools easier than on a Wave or Charge :shrug: hence why I never carry mine :facepalm: it just won't break in and I have carried it for longer periods of time just to see if it would loosen up :ahhh my Swisstool does better but I still prefer the Leatherman because I can use security torq to loosen and tighten them until I get the tension just the way I want :salute: I can't do that with the Vics because they are peened together with rivets :dunno:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 03:43:49 PM
I would suggest (if you can find one at a decent price) a G10 Charge because the handle would do better with the grip than most any of the rest :salute: just bad that they were recently discontinued  :facepalm:

The Tti Plus would be the next grippiest solution  :salute:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 03:55:03 PM
I think it depends on tool selection too. It you use the knife the most, the Charges have better blades in my opinion as well as a bit driver if you need it. If you use the can opener, awl, chisel and small flat blades and Philips only then the Spirit might work better.

Of the options available now, the he titanium Charge and black Spirit seem to be the grippiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 05:36:52 PM
I think it depends on tool selection too. It you use the knife the most, the Charges have better blades in my opinion as well as a bit driver if you need it. If you use the can opener, awl, chisel and small flat blades and Philips only then the Spirit might work better.

Of the options available now, the he titanium Charge and black Spirit seem to be the grippiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me, the bit-driver only makes sense if you plan on carrying bits. But then you might as well get either the bit-kit from Victorinox (or a cheaper alternative), which allows you to use bit-driver and pliers at the same time.

Considerations:
- The Spirit is significantly slimmer than Charge/Wave
- Spirit makes a better stand-alone tool
- Charge/Wave work better with bit-kit
- If you need a lot of wire cutting: Charge/Wave due to the replaceable wire cutters
- If you do a lot of metal-sawing/filing: Surge
- If you need finer pliers-tip: Charge/Wave
- If you need more comfortable pliers: Spirit
- More rugged blade: Charge/Wave
- Slicing blade: Spirit (especially the serrated blade on the Spirit is great).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 06:48:59 PM
Because....money 😅 Would love to have both, but have to choose one!
 :pok: :rofl:

I'm torn between the two because the Wave/Charge has better OHO, that very useful hook on the serrated blade, and seems to be less slippery when wet (I work on boats), but everything else about the Spirit seems to be the better option. Also seems like the Spirit will be more comfortable to carry. Difficult choice!

The blades on the LM would be better for your purposes, but I believe the Vic is a tad more rust resistant than LM.

To me, the bit-driver only makes sense if you plan on carrying bits. But then you might as well get either the bit-kit from Victorinox (or a cheaper alternative), which allows you to use bit-driver and pliers at the same time.

Considerations:
- The Spirit is significantly slimmer than Charge/Wave
- Spirit makes a better stand-alone tool
- Charge/Wave work better with bit-kit
- If you need a lot of wire cutting: Charge/Wave due to the replaceable wire cutters
- If you do a lot of metal-sawing/filing: Surge
- If you need finer pliers-tip: Charge/Wave
- If you need more comfortable pliers: Spirit
- More rugged blade: Charge/Wave
- Slicing blade: Spirit (especially the serrated blade on the Spirit is great).

:iagree: Very well laid out comparison, Etherealicer

I only have a regular Spirit and can never access the tools easier than on a Wave or Charge :shrug: hence why I never carry mine :facepalm: it just won't break in and I have carried it for longer periods of time just to see if it would loosen up :ahhh my Swisstool does better but I still prefer the Leatherman because I can use security torq to loosen and tighten them until I get the tension just the way I want :salute: I can't do that with the Vics because they are peened together with rivets :dunno:

Also to Poncho’s point you can mod a LM to better suit your needs whereas the Spirit you cannot

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 06:52:51 PM
Your best bet would be to go in a shop that sells both and try them out. Then you can order from wherever you can find them cheaper. :salute:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 07:04:06 PM
The Spirit is the better tool in my opinion, but the wave has one hand opening blades and even more important for you a lanyard loop.  If you're working on boats over water or in the rigging it can be tethered to you.  Slippery may be a consideration but there's always skateboard tape (used sparingly) to take care of that.  I would punch out little dots of the skateboard tape with a hole punch and then place a few of the dots on the tool in a random pattern. :cheers:

Offline Rudeboy Jackson

• New User
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 10:23:13 PM
Lots of food for thought. I'm wondering if I should try get a Charge G10 - seems to have the versatility of the LM but with a weight more similar to the Swisstool 🤔

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 11:06:21 PM
I have two SpiritX but 90% of the time I carry a Wave or Charge.
I life close to the Atlantic coast and have no rust issues on either of them.

The below is just my personal preference comparing the two...

What I prefer on the Spirit:
- It's slim
- The chisel is quite useful
- Tools are accessible from the outside
- The crate/bottle opener
- The price (here in the EU)

What I like more on the Wave/Charge:

- The two knife blades (plain & serrated), S30V on the Charge
- The scissors
- Bit driver, the bits hold up and "bite" better
- The eyeglass driver (I need one)
- I prefer the LM style can opener
- The wire cutters on the pliers (old and + version)
- The pouch/case

It surely depends on ones needs, and there is something like looks and feel too  :D

Both are brilliant MTs in their own ways, and I like them all  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD