Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK backside tool layer swapping…

Offline Helvetica Bold

SAK backside tool layer swapping…
on: May 31, 2023, 08:33:30 PM
Been doing a bit of experimentation with this lately due to some strange configurations I’ve been tinkering with. I’ve found that the awl can be thinned and will give the correct pressure on a saw layer if you like an awl (which I do) but are taking out the opener layer in favour of the combo tool.

Recently however I have been playing with combinations loosely based on the Ranger and managed to get the hook into the opener layer position. This took much more tinkering -thinning and careful reprofiling the pivot end plus some considerable work on the spring too - but got there in the end and actually looks really cool.

Reason I did it on this particular project was I added an inline awl in the small blade space so didn’t want to duplicate tools (plus I like the hook even if I rarely use it). I also incorporated a Phillips and a corkscrew on the back layer too but with the Philips over the scissor layer  I had to profile the inside of the tool a tad to get it to sit flat. This still leaves a perfectly functional 3d head. Had to thin the pivot end considerably too to get it to fit in a saw layer.

The brass spacer had to be formed accurately (took me more than once) to give correct spring tension/snap on the scissor layer but once I got there was pretty happy with the results.

* IMG_3399.jpg (Filesize: 81.39 KB)

* IMG_3400.jpg (Filesize: 64.78 KB)

* IMG_3403.jpg (Filesize: 107.51 KB)

* IMG_3401.jpg (Filesize: 92.84 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Re: SAK backside tool layer swapping…
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 09:31:10 PM
Dang HB, you got that hook nestled in there fit like a glove! Very impressive build overall.  :climber:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: SAK backside tool layer swapping…
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 05:30:33 PM
Dang HB, you got that hook nestled in there fit like a glove! Very impressive build overall.  :climber:

+1

Great tool selection! Wish Vic saw some of the ideas on this forum and tried them out.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD