Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm with nail file

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
91mm with nail file
on: October 18, 2023, 10:01:33 AM
The Companion in the new released "live to explore" collection has a nail-file. That is news to me. Are there other current 91mm with a nail file :think:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: 91mm with nail file
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 02:55:23 PM
     The nail file on a 91mm would be my choice over the small blade.  The pointy part of the file is also useful in itself for poking and prying small things without marring anything.  Like coaxing batteries out of a camera or radio for instance.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 06:05:30 PM
     The nail file on a 91mm would be my choice over the small blade.  The pointy part of the file is also useful in itself for poking and prying small things without marring anything.  Like coaxing batteries out of a camera or radio for instance.  Best wishes.  Gary
My thoughts. For urban use, a nail-file is a great upgrade, especially with the nail-cleaner-tip. Doubly so, because the Classic is hardly available with the pointy tip.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 07:02:52 PM
OK I know it's not a 91 mm however just wanted to chime in to say that the MiniChamp has a nail file with pointy tip- it's wonderful really.

also in case anyone has wondered what would it be like to just carry a minichamp for 30 days?  :think:

I've heard they're doing a challenge next month...

:pok: :rofl:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,91394.0.html

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 07:31:04 PM
That's why I like the Sportsman over the Tourist.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 12:51:31 AM
The Mountaineer has the large file/saw with nail cleaner tip.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 05:24:10 AM
I would buy a 91mm with the file in place of the small blade in a nanosecond (in standard red cellidor, that is).

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 12:22:12 PM
My thoughts. For urban use, a nail-file is a great upgrade, especially with the nail-cleaner-tip. Doubly so, because the Classic is hardly available with the pointy tip.

I'm the absolute opposite on this, a nail file on a 91mm SAK makes absolutely no sense to me... especially if it replaces the small blade, that on a 91mm SAK is the most used for me, not only for it's small non-threatening size, but also because most uses that requires a blade can be done with the small blade for me. The main blade is only used for bigger jobs when required.

If i need a nail file with a pointy end, i'll use the Alox Minichamp on my keys. That and nail care.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 01:07:54 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 09:07:17 AM
I really like the metal file/saw blade but agree that I wouldn’t want a nail file in place of the small blade. I generally carry a 58 on my keys that has a file but would settle for a hook file. I feel like there are many areas of existing tools that could be ‘roughened’ with a file area rather than replacing the small blade. The ‘chisel’ or small backside screwdriver could be much better deployed as file in my opinion for those models that have them.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 09:21:53 PM
Personally, I wouldn’t mind having a 91mm Sportsman or even a Climber with the file in place of the small blade.

The tip of the file on the Sportsman makes a decent 2D phillips for the #0 size screws I seem to encounter all the time.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 09:31:30 AM
I'm the absolute opposite on this, a nail file on a 91mm SAK makes absolutely no sense to me... especially if it replaces the small blade, that on a 91mm SAK is the most used for me, not only for it's small non-threatening size, but also because most uses that requires a blade can be done with the small blade for me. The main blade is only used for bigger jobs when required.

If i need a nail file with a pointy end, i'll use the Alox Minichamp on my keys. That and nail care.
Well, I don't want to carry 2 SAKs and I live in a country where knives are perfectly acceptable (especially SAKs). And since I use the blade to cut apples, the long blade makes works better for me.
What makes no sense to me is, that pretty much every 91mm SAK has a Spartan/Tinker as basis. I love to see more models that break that pattern.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 09:38:45 AM
The Mountaineer has the large file/saw with nail cleaner tip.
If you have use for a metal file  then that is a great alternative. But at the price of an extra layer, it is not worth it just for emergency-nailcare.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 04:00:47 PM
I really like the metal file/saw blade but agree that I wouldn’t want a nail file in place of the small blade. I generally carry a 58 on my keys that has a file but would settle for a hook file. I feel like there are many areas of existing tools that could be ‘roughened’ with a file area rather than replacing the small blade. The ‘chisel’ or small backside screwdriver could be much better deployed as file in my opinion for those models that have them.

I find the hook file awkward to use, and sometimes the difficulty opening it is annoying.  I've torn a nail getting it open - right in the middle of the nail.  The other back tools may be easier to open, but may still be awkward.

I wouldn't mind the front-side file.  Making a Compact with it would be nice for my needs. A Salesman with long nailfile is nice, but fear of loss keeps it out of my pocket.   https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Salesman
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:06:26 PM by DavZell »
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 04:56:45 PM
A compact, but I customized it, added a 3rd layer the saw, yet also switched out the corkscrew for a Philips, but on the hook it also has the file..
JR

* IMG_2589.jpg (Filesize: 149.19 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Enginears

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 05:28:03 PM
If you have use for a metal file  then that is a great alternative. But at the price of an extra layer, it is not worth it just for emergency-nailcare.

I agree with that. A whole extra layer isn’t worth it. I like the emergency nail file as a scale tool, because I find I use a file significantly less than the small blade. 

IMG_3752-compressed.jpg
* IMG_3752-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 183.36 KB)

IMG_3751-compressed.jpg
* IMG_3751-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 188.19 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 06:03:06 PM
    Didn't Herr Immler do a YouTube with a corundum nail file for his SAK?  Seems he slid it in between tools somehow.  Nail file, plus used as a field sharpening tool.  Looks like there's a big chance of scuffing the tools.  I like your mod.  Best wishes.  Gary

cz Offline z1913

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 05:21:32 AM

I like the emergency nail file as a scale tool.

Great mod! Would you have some more details about the process making it?

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 05:45:54 AM
 :iagree: that is a cool mod!  :like: :like:

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 08:54:54 AM
Agree that’s a great mod alternative for the file. More details  :like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2023, 11:13:27 AM
I agree with that. A whole extra layer isn’t worth it. I like the emergency nail file as a scale tool, because I find I use a file significantly less than the small blade.
Great mod
Interesting to hear that so many people like/use the small blade. I never use it (really could not tell you when I last used it), so for me that is the "natural place" to put a nail-file.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 12:46:18 PM
Great mod
Interesting to hear that so many people like/use the small blade. I never use it (really could not tell you when I last used it), so for me that is the "natural place" to put a nail-file.

+1

The big-file-in-scale looks interesting.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Enginears

Reply #21 on: November 06, 2023, 02:54:30 PM
Thanks guys. I should have taken more photos as I did it. I used one of those files that has a little plastic handle, and a spare scale. The main work is modifying the underside of scale to make the slot, cutting the file to size and then carefully cutting a piece of scale to glue on the file.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2023, 04:39:37 PM
Thanks guys. I should have taken more photos as I did it. I used one of those files that has a little plastic handle, and a spare scale. The main work is modifying the underside of scale to make the slot, cutting the file to size and then carefully cutting a piece of scale to glue on the file.
Thanks for the explanation. Congrats on becoming a Hero!

:cheers: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Enginears

Reply #23 on: November 06, 2023, 10:45:14 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Congrats on becoming a Hero!

:cheers: :salute:

Heeey 500 comes quick when talking about tools.  :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2023, 11:34:54 AM
Heeey 500 comes quick when talking about/with tools.  :cheers:
FTFY...

:whistle:

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Enginears

Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 10:44:46 PM

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 11:10:53 PM
Heeey 500 comes quick when talking about/with tools.  :cheers:

FTFY...

:whistle:

:D :D :D :D

Talking with tools is nothing to be ashamed of, at least on MT.O. It just becomes a problem when they answer ...  :facepalm:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline AzteCypher

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2023, 06:00:58 AM
So... does that mean I have problems??  Because my tools and I are having a full on panel discussion.... :whistle:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #28 on: November 08, 2023, 11:15:40 AM
Sounds like a severe case.  :angel: Methinks professional help is needed.

Logon on MT.O ... no wait, that's just the support group  :oops: :facepalm:

Oh, and take your tongue out of your cheek, please.  :pok:

:cheers:  :hatsoff:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2023, 12:51:29 AM
Hi guys

I'm a little late to the party here, but I thought I'd share my experience with the Companion. I bought the Swiss Spirit SE this year intending to use it, but the scales, with all the intricate engraving, seemed too fragile to carry. Then I saw a couple people on YouTube and Reddit that removed and replaced the scales. Thanks to them I knew the scales were press fit so I slowly and carefully pried them off. Popped on some sapphire blue ones and it's been in my pocket every day since.

I'll get to the package tool in a minute but what really attracted me to the Companion is the nail file. I always carry a smaller SAK primarily for the nail file and I figured this could be the perfect "one and done." After carrying it for a week now, I have to say it really is the perfect SAK for me. I'll confess, I haven't been able to let go of my beloved Executive that rides in my 5th pocket but I rarely take it out anymore. The Companion has been the only tool I need for a week straight. That might not seem like much until you know that I typically rotate through at least a dozen different SAKs on a daily basis.

Now to the package opener; it's fantastic. It will open anything I throw at it easily. It cuts through cardboard like butter, and works great for opening an envelope. Plastic, tape, string, no problem. It makes a great scraper and turns a phillips head screw. Victorinox engineered this tool very well.  If it seems like a tool set you might like, and you're willing to splurge, I highly recommend the Companion. It's hard to beat for every day urban carry.

* 20231104_092138.jpg (Filesize: 344.33 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%