Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spare time

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Spare time
on: November 17, 2023, 11:49:00 PM
Well this day stinks, got information that we will get layoffs cause our job site was cancelled due financical reason. That means around 90% of employees get it, rest who did not get it are on seperate small sites as rentworkers and continue working as normal, well now i have some more spare time to spend. Our next project wont start until january so its kinda vacation now next 1,5 months.
Layoffs started immidieatly but we get paid for next two weeks. We got these warnings on summer allready that we might got layoffs but we had site unfinished and new site ( got cancelled now) was meant to begin this week.
I wondered whole week why we didnt go to that new site on Monday (only our boss knew why and didnt tell us until today), instead we all (except those who went vacation) were called to warehouse to fix and clean our barracks what we transfer to site to site, also we made inventory our tools and materials.
Luckily they didnt fire us but we will see on january does our layoffs continue.
If that big construction site also get cancelled i might look other jobs.

Only Tools Matters

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Spare time
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 12:58:50 AM
    That's how life works, A.L.  Sometimes you get the chicken, sometimes you just get the feathers.  You have your health, your skills, and a nice long Christmas vacation.  It could be worse.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 02:00:19 AM
    That's how life works, A.L.  Sometimes you get the chicken, sometimes you just get the feathers.  You have your health, your skills, and a nice long Christmas vacation.  It could be worse.  Best wishes.  Gary
True, i just kinda hope that our company wont go bankcruptcy like many other has gone. Past 6 months many large construction companys has gone bankcruptcy, there isnt so much demand on building now.
But i was allready kinda prepared for these layoffs since we got warnings.
Im gonna enjoy my long vacation now, union will pay after 2 weeks our salaries so im not financially worried this vacation and now i have much spare time to do things i have postponed.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 01:28:11 PM
That's great that you will continue to get paid. I'm sure you will land on your feet whatever happens in January   :tu:

Enjoy your time off  :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 01:47:12 PM
That's great that you will continue to get paid. I'm sure you will land on your feet whatever happens in January   :tu:

Enjoy your time off  :cheers:
I will enjoy it. If our work wont continue in january i will maybe change line of duty to something else or change company ( if there is jobs available)

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 03:47:34 PM
Never a good feeling.  It was nice you all got a warning so there could be some planning.  Great you are not fired.  Every year I'm slow from Jan-Mar at which time I do a lot around the house and for myself.  Might be a good time for you to take care of you and things that get postponed? 

It'll be some security getting paid all the while.  Whatever you do enjoy the time off and rest your body.  Good things on the horizon. 
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 06:10:40 PM
Sorry to hear Antti. In any case you're covered for the near future. Enjoy your break!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 02:05:20 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hope things turn out for the best!

Good luck, bro!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 06:38:17 AM
Sorry to hear about that.

Back at the beginning of 2021, about 1100 of us got let go.  I got lucky in that I got asked to go to the 3rd party contractor that the company had hired, but benefits were not the greatest which really hurt because we were just coming out of the tail end of my wife's successful cancer treatments.

Six months later I landed at a better company with better pay and great benefits.

Keep your chin up and enjoy the vacation while you can.  You never know when a better opportunity might come your way.

Cheers!
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 02:25:30 PM
I've read this thread several times and always meant to reply but haven't because I was on my phone and I wanted to say something a bit more involved than my thumbs would be comfortable with!

I'm sorry to hear that this is affecting you.  I have a feeling that I am going to be in a similar situation in the next year or two- we currently have a government that spends a lot, but they have been in power since 2015, and I imagine they are going to be voted out in the next election, replaced by the party that cuts funding to pay for all of the spending by the previous guys.  We have a lot of different parties here, but we only ever elect one of the two main ones- the spenders and the payers.   :facepalm:

This isn't a political post as both parties are comprised entirely of people who have never actually worked a day in their lives and live parasitically off the people who do.

I hope you manage to get back n your feet quickly- construction is fortunately one of those industries that doesn't stay down for long.  I have been working as a government construction inspector for the Department of Highways for the past 4 years and we have been working a minimum of 12 hour days five or six days a week for the past two and a half years, and I would welcome a break and a bit of downsizing right now!   :ahhh

If I may ask, what do you do in Construction?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 03:50:23 PM
AzteCypher glad it all worked out.  Very happy to hear the treatments for your wife were successful.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 04:32:48 PM
Thank you everyone for kind and supportive words it really means to me to talk place where i feel like home.
I work construction as handyman, i do bit everything usually im at first group to start and last group to leave at construction sites. I do also rough cleaning, install doors, ceilings, concrete jobs, drilling and filling walls, floors and ceilings after plumbers, electricians and hvac does their installations. So i do bit everything.
I know that there is also other workplaces but i really enjoy working with our team and hope we can continue working january, what i have now heard this week some of our team changed workplace to another. Construction has lot of layoffs past year but there is allways something to do, i just may relocate myself to another city, it tho means longer worktrips but im kinda use to it to drive longer for jobsites.
But now im just gonna enjoy my freetime and not stress about work cause i know there is allways jobs for handymans.

Only Tools Matters

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 06:08:28 PM
That's the right way to look at it!

Heck, if you wanted to spend Christmas in Canada I could use some help rebuilding the apartment in my basement that was flooded over the summer!

Companies here simply can't hire enough people to handle the demand for trades people like you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2023, 07:56:39 PM
That's the right way to look at it!

Heck, if you wanted to spend Christmas in Canada I could use some help rebuilding the apartment in my basement that was flooded over the summer!

Companies here simply can't hire enough people to handle the demand for trades people like you.

Def
That sounds tempting, but sadly we have family christmas on my brothers place, whole family gathers rarely together (usually someone is missing) and now we have planned to meet whole family now that everyone has change to join.

Only Tools Matters

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 01:27:54 AM
(...)
 we currently have a government that spends a lot, but they have been in power since 2015, and I imagine they are going to be voted out in the next election, replaced by the party that cuts funding to pay for all of the spending by the previous guys.  We have a lot of different parties here, but we only ever elect one of the two main ones- the spenders and the payers.   :facepalm:

This isn't a political post as both parties are comprised entirely of people who have never actually worked a day in their lives and live parasitically off the people who do.

(...)
Wow! When did you move to Portugal, Boss?! We need to have lunch sometime, I'll show you around.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 01:30:35 AM
Thank you everyone for kind and supportive words it really means to me to talk place where i feel like home.
I work construction as handyman, i do bit everything usually im at first group to start and last group to leave at construction sites. I do also rough cleaning, install doors, ceilings, concrete jobs, drilling and filling walls, floors and ceilings after plumbers, electricians and hvac does their installations. So i do bit everything.
I know that there is also other workplaces but i really enjoy working with our team and hope we can continue working january, what i have now heard this week some of our team changed workplace to another. Construction has lot of layoffs past year but there is allways something to do, i just may relocate myself to another city, it tho means longer worktrips but im kinda use to it to drive longer for jobsites.
But now im just gonna enjoy my freetime and not stress about work cause i know there is allways jobs for handymans.

Only Tools Matters
Sounds like you won't have a problem finding a place to work. Maybe you can even get together with some members of your team and form a crew to work together in different places, wherever and whenever you're needed, kinda like the A-Team.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD