Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The wire stripper on SAKs

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
The wire stripper on SAKs
on: March 16, 2007, 03:30:43 AM
Anyone else find the little notch at the base of the bottle opener a pain to use?  Maybe because I've always used pliers...using the wire cutters to score/cut the insulation, then popping the insulation off from there...but I was just trying it with my Pioneer...cutting the insulation with the blade is a pain also..you don't want to cut TOO deep and have the blade touch the wire...

If that little notch was sharpened (like a single serration), I'd find it a lot easier.
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The wire stripper on SAKs
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:42 PM
I've always preferred using a knife blade to strip insulation.  You evenually get the "feel" of it and don't have to worry about cutting into the wire.  I don't especially like the notch either, and I never use it, but I really like the stripper on the Victorinox Electrician.
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:02:16 PM
Depending on what I am doing (and bear in mind my frequent disagreements with electricity!) i will cut the insulation with the pen blade, then switch to the stripper notch to pull it off.  Last week I installed a new stereo in my car using that method.  I had to splice a wiring harness to the stereo and I think there were about 20 wires all told, so I cut them all then stripped them all.  Took no time to do and worked like a charm. 

Of course, if you are only doing one or two wires then switching back and forth would probably be a pain.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:15:53 PM
I have used the notch on the SAK quite often when I used to do electronics work.  I found that it will work in a pinch (on small jobs stripping no more than a few wires) but, I always had a wire cutter/crimper/stripper tool in my gear bag and used it for serious work.  Now that I think about it, I might sharpen the notch on one of my SAKs.  It seems like a great Idea.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%