Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Charge TTI...in black?

Raukodur · 127 · 23320

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman Charge TTI...in black?
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 01:17:33 PM
I would, but I'm not in the US either...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 09:37:53 PM
anyone? wont cost you a penny, i'll be paying for everything. Take a little bit of effort, but itll result in some very very nice photos for multitool.org...

Also, important question I had asked in my last post was regarding return of the tool in case its faulty / damaged / used. I am guessing, due to its special colouring, I would need to return in to Cabela's. In that case, it doesnt make sense for the tool to be forwarded to me without first checking to see if it is perfect in the states, in case returns need to be made. So the item would need to be checked out, and once it is declared to be in good order, it would be forwarded to the UK.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 09:45:52 PM
Give folks a chance- most of the US is still at work!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 10:01:33 PM
ah yes, very true, so easy to forget about time zone differences  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 01:40:52 AM
Tell me about it- I am about halfway between you and California!  My whole day is half over before I even wake up, and still going long after I've gone to bed!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 03:34:53 AM
I'll be stopping at the Cabela's store in Dundee, Michigan next Friday 03/30. Want me to check and see if they have the camo TTi in stock?

Good & Bad though:
Good is that if they have them in stock, I could check it out before buying.  :)
Bad is that I would be charged an additional 6% Michigan sales tax.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 05:25:07 AM
I'll be stopping at the Cabela's store in Dundee, Michigan next Friday 03/30. Want me to check and see if they have the camo TTi in stock?

Good & Bad though:
Good is that if they have them in stock, I could check it out before buying.  :)
Bad is that I would be charged an additional 6% Michigan sales tax.  :(

Hey, you won't be too far from me next Friday.  Speaking of Cabela's... I'm heading there on Sunday :) 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 10:09:29 AM
would you be charged a sales tax too 665ae?

If not then if you could check out a leatherman TTI with camo handles and black blades, make sure its up to scratch, and buy it (I believe they are $129.99 from their website) then I will reimburse you.

Edit: hmm, just wondering how exactly I would reimburse you without have to pay a fee. First thought to mind is of paypal, but they take a nice fee, aswell as not having a great conversion rate. I had originally thought of ordering the item on cabela's website, and having it delivered to a US address, but this is better in that it would cut out within-US postage fees. And also allow the tool to be checked out before being bought (of course, all depending on it being in stock). Ideal solution was if I could order through the website and ask them to hold it for a specific person to pick up. I suppose its worth sending them an email and asking them if this can be arranged.

Edit2: It seems Cabela's electronic gift certificate is perfect, I could send the certificate for $129.99 to someone's account, and they would be able to use that in the store to buy the TTI, so avoiding any money transfer fees. That leaves postage costs to the UK, but since I don't expect those to be more than $10 (since that is how much some dealers on ebay charge for TTI shipping from US to UK), i wouldnt mind paying for that through paypal and covering the small amount paypal takes for recieving money.

So basically, if someone is willing and able to go Cabela's store in the near future, I could send the electronic certificate to their email address as soon as required and the whole process can be gotten underway  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:37:40 PM by raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 03:00:30 AM
One problem might be that the Dundee, Michigan outlet may not yet stock the camo TTi. (It may only be in the catalogs at this point.) I'll try to find the Dundee number and give them a phone call tomorrow to see if they have it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 06:23:38 AM
If I can convice my girlfriend to let me... I'll swing by the multi section on Sunday and take a look. :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:42 AM
Yes, please do J-sews, because if I need to pay for the tool via something like paypal, its going to end up being very very expensive due to covering fees and a poor conversion rate. Thats why I would much prefer to buy an electronic gift voucher from Cabela's for $129.99 and send it to the email of the person able to go to the store, this way I should hopefully incur no fees, and the whole transaction will be a lot smoother.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 03:55:13 PM
:::eagerly awaits to find out if the Cabela store in question has the leatherman in question, in stock:::

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #42 on: March 24, 2007, 04:34:21 PM
The person I talked to on the phone says no, they do not have the TTi in Camo with Black blades.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 24, 2007, 04:40:10 PM
ah, thats most inconvenient. Did he happen to mention if they were going to get it in stock any time in the future?

If picking it up from a store isnt going to work, then i suppose ordering it online and paying the postage fees toa US address will be the course of action.  I think for an order around £130 the postage is £13, real shame the store doesnt have the tool in stock. Would also have made it a lot easier to check if its in perfect condition before buying.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 04:40:37 PM
I haven't been to the main Cabela's store in Nebraska for a couple years.  It's about 4 hours away from me.  I know they stock everything in the catalog plus a bunch more.  If I can make it there in the next couple weeks I'll let you know.

Tom

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2007, 05:10:39 PM
yeah definately, its a shame cabela's postage has a tiered system, where the higher the value of your order, the more they charge. Having someone pick up the tool not only has the advantage of saving on within-US delivery fees, but also allows the tool to be inspected before being bought.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 07:25:04 PM
Yah, bummer.  :(
Based on past experience, it could take anywhere from one to six months before all the Cabelas outlet stores stock items that are newly listed in their catalog.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 07:29:25 PM
Another thought: how stuck are you on the TTi version raukodur? Because I'm sure the Dundee store has the camo Ti in stock if that will work for you. (That is where I purchased mine.)

Off the top of my head, I believe the only differences in the TTi over the Ti is the cap crimper notch in the plier jaws, and the "guthook" on the back of the serrated blade. (Nothing else right?)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 24, 2007, 07:59:43 PM
its not just the gut hook but also the better steel for the knife. I would have also thought that leatherman would have improved the chargge in other small ways which they cant list, maybe thats just wishful thinking.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 09:01:43 PM
Oops yah, I forgot about the S30V blade steel.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 10:16:39 PM
any other members of this forum happen to live close to a Cabela's store who wouldnt mind helping out? Guess the first thing woud be to phone and find out if the shop has the camo handles black bladed TTI. None of this would be an issue if cabela's had free delivery for people wanting to buy their special TTI's  :P

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 26, 2007, 01:11:05 PM
anyone have any ideas on maybe a different way to go about this?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:41 PM
I dunno- I have been wracking my brain about it for you, but most of the ideas I had would end up costing you more than just having it shipped to you in the first place!

If I come up with anything I will let you know...

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 01:50:50 PM
The problem with shipping it directly from Cabelas (which would cost $155 from Cabela's) is that I would have to pay customs and post office taxes which can get as ridiculously high as 50%. So thats not an option at all.

The alternative is buying the tool and getting it shipped to a US address. I believe this will cost ~$145 since Cabelas charge a meaty $10-$15 delivery fee for products around the price range of $130 I believe from what Ive read on their website. The tool would then have to be shipped to the UK, which I believe could be done for around $10, and since it would be a personal package, and the true value of the item doesnt need to be written on the package, I dont believe I would have to pay customs taxes. So in total this method would also cost around $155.

The problem with this is that its ending up around $45-$50 more expensive then if I was to buy a normal silver coloured TTI, new, off reputable US ebay sellers. I am not willing to pay that much extra for a paint job.

Now, if someone could pick one of these tools up from a Cabela's store, that would not only save on the within-US postage costs, but would also allow examination of the tool before being shipped, to make sure its in perfect condition. In this case the total deal would work out to around $140, paying about $30 for the paint job I want, which I am willing to do.

Everything seemed to be coming together perfectly when 665ae said he lived close to a store, however, unfortunately they didnt have it in stock.

So either I now wait until a Cabelas store near one of the members here gets the camo handles, black bladed TTI in stock, or there is some other way to carry this out I havent thought about.

Offline joebw

Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 03:12:52 PM
Hi,

Keep in mind that if someone physically purchases this in a store located in a state with sales tax, they will end up paying that sales tax.

Joe

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 03:24:56 PM
ok, thats something I have no knowledge about whatsoever, what exactly is this 'sales tax'? Is it like VAT in the UK? And how would I go about avoiding it.

It is beginning to seem that unless i'm willing to really splash out, it isnt worth getting the paint job I want  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 03:32:18 PM
Sales tax is a tax levied by the individual states and is a percentage of the overall sale.  When purchasing something from out of state, such as online or through mail order, it doesn't apply.  If you go into the store, you are purchasing it in that state, and therefore are charged that state's tax.

Therefore, if someone goes into the store to get it, they will pay the sales tax.  If they purchase it from outside the state they don't.  So you might be just as far ahead to get it shipped to someone and have it sent to you from there.

Confused enough yet? :P

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 03:38:01 PM
Unfortunately its all crystal clear, I'm not willing to pay $40+ for having a paintjob on the TTI, so i guess that wraps things up here.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 26, 2007, 03:44:34 PM
In addition to that, a seller is obligated to charge sales tax if they happen to have a retail outlet or store in the same state as the order is placed.  Thus if I buy something from Cabela's in Nebraska & I am in Colorado, I still pay Colorado tax because there is a Cabela's store in Nebraska.  In Colorado we have separate state, county, & city taxes, & some sellers have even charged the county & city tax on top of the state tax.  Colorado is the only state that separates these out like this though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 03:00:32 AM
According to the Cabela's website, the camo TTi sells for $129.99
Shipping to anywhere in the United States is (a ridiculous) $12.75

The only way for me to get it any cheaper would be to wait until they are available in the Michigan outlet store. Then the price would be $129.99 plus $7.80 (Michigan has a 6% sales tax)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%