Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Crosscut versus Leatherman Micra?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
SOG Crosscut versus Leatherman Micra?
on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:10 PM
I am interested in hearing from people who have a SOG Crosscut -- especially people with both a Crosscut and a Leatherman Micra.  Which has the better scissors?

In addition to a larger multitool, I carry a Leatherman Micra because I have found its scissors to be superior to most others.  I've not seen a Crosscut, but I own its cousin, the SOG Crossgrip.  The Crossgrip's handles become uncomfortable as I apply increasing pressure.  The Crosscut looks like it has the same handles as the Crossgrip, but there should be no need to apply significant pressure when using the Crosscut's scissors.

How do you like the Crosscut in general?   Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SOG Crosscut versus Leatherman Micra?
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 02:12:34 AM
The Crosscut is a fine tool. As you mentioned, I've never exerted enough pressure for the handles to be uncomfortable. The scissors work well, but I give the Micra a slight edge, for two reasons:
1) After each cutting stroke, a Micra seems to spring back open with more authority than a Crosscut.
2) Fingernails and fishing line are no problem, but when cutting a piece of paper, the cut portions always seem to get hung up on the SOG's gear teeth as you travel along. (see top photo)
Neither of these are biggies, just minor annoyances.

Blades and tools between the two are roughly equal, with one exception: The tweezers on the SOG can be either slightly, or considerably, worse than the Micra. At some point in its production, SOG changed the style of tweezer. I don't know which one came first. The Micra tweezers work well for me. The SOG tweezers shown below on the left work "okay." I personally don't like the SOG tweezers on the right at all. They fold up deep inside the handle, so I need a pencil or a key in order to fish them out.

Again, my only complaints are minor. I like the Crosscut, I just like the Micra better.
~Bob

* Crosscut-Micra.jpg (Filesize: 52.13 KB)

* Crosscut tweezers.jpg (Filesize: 41.91 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 02:39:32 AM
J-sews,

Thanks for the insights!  I wouldn't have guessed about paper hanging up on the Crosscut's gear teeth, though the teeth concern me as being pocket rippers.

My Crossgrip has the deeply embedded tweezers shown on the right side of your photo.

I use the Micra chiefly as a folding scissors.  Same would be true of the Crosscut.

Micra prices have fallen to near $16 in some of the big box stores.   The going price for a mail order Crosscut is about $30, quite a bit steeper.

I also have a Schrade Tough Chip scissors multitool.  I like the scissors, though they are "lefty."  The Tough Chip's requires so much more space than the Micra and Crosscut when folded, so it doesn't always fit well in a watch pocket (see photo below).

Thanks again for the info and photos.
micra-vs-toughchip1.jpg
* micra-vs-toughchip1.jpg (Filesize: 38.45 KB)

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 02:47:26 AM
New Micras may be down to about $16 but the used ones are virtually worthless.  I mean that there are so many of them out there that Tim is giving them away for folks willing to pay postage.  Seems to me that with that in mind, the Micra should be the clear winner!
As for actual use, I don't have a CrossCut, but I am very interested in getting one...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:10:20 AM
I carry a Micra, but I like owning the others. For some reason I think its really neat that SOG and Schrade each chose to make their mini scissor tools fold and resemble the bigger tools in their line-ups.
SOG = gear teeth on the Crosscut, even though it doesn't really need them and they get in the way.
Schrade = locking, side folding blades, even though this makes the "mini" tool a whole lot less mini.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 03:20:48 AM
I always wondered if they did that on purpose or whether it was just easier having the same guy design them all (which would account for similarities) or whether it was cheaper that way because of similar parts.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 03:34:39 AM
Hey parnass! I forgot you had that black Schrade. A body doesn't see one of those around very often.

I wonder how many were made?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 03:38:11 AM
I've never seen one in black.  They must not have been all that common?  Mine is plain steel.
Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 03:51:49 AM
I've never seen one in black.  They must not have been all that common?  Mine is plain steel.
Def

Bought mine from an obscure web dealer, but I forgot which one.

Tough Chips were made with green handles, too.  Perhaps you can still buy them cheaply:

http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_23359.html

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 04:40:57 AM
$8.23 is a steal for such a pretty tool. (I have bought from these folks before, with no problems.)

* Green Schrade Chip.jpg (Filesize: 45.01 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 11:24:15 AM
The folks at MasterCard don't like me much anyways, might have to see about one or two of those.  At that price, it's kinda like I am stealing them!
Def

Offline Alpha Niner Niner Smith

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 05:26:43 PM
The micra is a way better set of scissors than the Tuff chip.and it has a weird group of tools in it too, more like a womans tool
A99S
O

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24