Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The pen and pencil thread

enki_ck · 305 · 41135

us Offline Enginears

Re: The pen and pencil thread
Reply #300 on: September 26, 2023, 01:46:46 AM
That 09’s got to have some heavy hold to it, when I was in drafting I used to use and I still have it, yup, my 03, that thing would break idk how many times, I had to have a very easy hand, yet I was also taking plumbing so I also had to have a very strong hand, not an easy mix, most of the others stuck with a norm size yet I think one other kid went to a 05, of course him and I had some of the sharpest drafts, at he end of the year we had to draft the teachers house and then put in a heating system, everyone played simple, yet of course me with the thinnest lead put in a subfloor heating system, (pretty much a line every like 8in, yet in scale was like every 1/4”) yeah NUTS! But I scored a 105 on it..
JR

That sounds amazing. I like that pencil too, an 03 is impressive. I have such a heavy hand even with 05 I end up getting in the zone and snapping the lead, though I do like those thinner lines. I never actually drafted, though I wish I had. we would do all our drawings and stuff with CAD.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #301 on: September 26, 2023, 04:27:16 AM
That sounds amazing. I like that pencil too, an 03 is impressive. I have such a heavy hand even with 05 I end up getting in the zone and snapping the lead, though I do like those thinner lines. I never actually drafted, though I wish I had. we would do all our drawings and stuff with CAD.
I did 7yrs of classes in drafting, even had my own drafting table at home for 6 of those, just a plain wood table with a nice metal edge and a pencil rest at the bottom, nothing fancy like a mechanical arm or floating t-square, just 1-t-square, 2-plastic squares, and 2-scales, although I did get fancy the last month of high school, I bought two solid aluminum squares and two aluminum scales, one 6” and one 12”, when I went to college the 12” hit the like marble table and the kid sitting next to me asked if he could see it, I was like sure, so I handed it over and he’s like wow this thing could be a weapon, I was like tell me about it, I don’t have that one anymore, but still the 6” along with the two aluminum squares and a plastic 12” scale, CAD, forget it, I think I tried it once, I’m totally old school, my unique thing is if you give me the side, front, and top, I can 3D draft it, it’s something I can do in my head,, when I took a state placement test to figure out what to do, I got every question right on the pic part, only one other person had ever done it before me, and of course it said I should do drawing or photos,, odd..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #302 on: April 14, 2024, 02:32:15 PM
Ok, I’m bumping this subject, I want to change things up a little, I carry my cheap Pokka pen which is great, I switched the ink out of it with a bic, at first a like 1.6 which was great but dried up so quick, then to some other bic which was suppose to be like and endless ink, and it’s good, but I’m thinking of switching to lead, something that does NOT dry out and you end up putting a hole in your notebook trying to get it to write, I want to switch up my edc notebook, I currently carry a custom made mini composition notebook, in a leather cover, the reason it’s custom is because it’s dot graph vs lined or graph, I couldn’t find them in dot graph so I had three books made to fit my leather cover, but I’m thinking of switching to the normal 3-1/2 x 5-1/2” book which dot graph is easy to find, I want to get a nice cheap cover with a place to put your pen/pencil, but most of all I want to switch to lead, but idk what’s a good pocket pencil? There’s these new style carpenter pencils which have diff colors and will write on anything, but I can’t find anything nice, and I just spotted the rite in rain’s mechanical but it’s over 6” so it would be sticking out of the leather cover, so does anyone know of something simular? And around a 2. Lead and not that 5. Something, cause I have one of those and it’s a little too big! Suggestions?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #303 on: April 15, 2024, 03:28:14 PM
I use pens much more than pencils these days (and with the rise of computers and smart phones, I don’t use either as much as I once did).

But here are a few to maybe check out…

Someone on this forum (I can’t recall who, or I would give credit where it’s due) turned me on to the Pentel P209.  It’s a really good pencil, but I measure it at about 5 5/8” so maybe still longer than what you want.

As another option, I don’t own one, but Parker makes a Jotter mechanical pencil that is nearly identical to their popular Jotter pen.  It’s a classy, timeless design and it is also shorter than many competitors at right around 5”.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #304 on: April 15, 2024, 05:59:07 PM
I use pens much more than pencils these days (and with the rise of computers and smart phones, I don’t use either as much as I once did).

But here are a few to maybe check out…

Someone on this forum (I can’t recall who, or I would give credit where it’s due) turned me on to the Pentel P209.  It’s a really good pencil, but I measure it at about 5 5/8” so maybe still longer than what you want.

As another option, I don’t own one, but Parker makes a Jotter mechanical pencil that is nearly identical to their popular Jotter pen.  It’s a classy, timeless design and it is also shorter than many competitors at right around 5”.
Thanks, I always wanted a Parker jotter, so of course going pencil is an idea but it’s a low lead size, I need above 1.0mm, this is what I’m thinking of going with and I carry it in my back pocket so yeah there’s going to be stress on the pencil since it’s going to be in that slot of the leather cover,, now I did find these yet the one I really like is that all metal one, but I can’t find any info on it except I can only find it on Walmart for $7, so it’s probably junk, now that one above it is a rite in the rain and is a 1.3mm, and I can switch the lead out for red which I’d rather use cause I want something I can use on both paper and other things, just like that last one, thats a 2mm, and a carpenter pencil, so yeah writes on everything, but I don’t think it will fit in that leather holder,
Now one that would be perfect would be a metal scriber, solid metal, smaller, good grip, but just no lead, I did make a little something a while back, I took one of these and replaced the tip, I took one of those rattlesnake BB gun pellets and put it in place to act as one of those endless ink, and if I remember it did somewhat work, yet I just found it and it had an ink cartridge in it, (didn’t work) but huh, I wonder if I could put a piece of lead in it and make it a pencil, cause I just might have made my perfect pencil, including a magnet on the other end!
JR

* IMG_3866.jpg (Filesize: 55.64 KB)

* IMG_3869.jpg (Filesize: 62.37 KB)

* IMG_3872.jpg (Filesize: 30.87 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%