Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Android Boxes- any experience? 512

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,515 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Android Boxes- any experience?
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
I have just cut the cord on my cable as I mostly watch stuff on Netflix, Youtube, a service called Crave (similar to Hulu, but not as good) and occasionally download stuff.  There's not much point to cable TV these days, and I have been thinking about an Android box.  I have to say, I don't know much about them, so I thought I would ask here to see who has one (or, more accurately, anyone here that has a friend who has one  ;)) that may be able to tell me what to look for, whether they are worthwhile etc.

I don't have a big multimedia setup so I don't think I need 5.1 or 7.1 outputs or things like that... the TV speakers are more than enough for a half deaf bugger like me.

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,424 Gone Hunting

dks cy

Re: Android Boxes- any experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
I have been using one for a few years, mainly for YouTube

There is a lot of material for kodi etc, but the legal one is limited
do not spend too much money 40, 50 dollars should be enough

They usually come with a remote, but you can buy better ones, with keyboards for 10, 20 dollars

make sure it has the right number and type of inputs and outputs you require (USB, memory card, A/V etc.)

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
No Life Club Posts: 4,892
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
My 'friend' has an amazon fire tv box and a couple of firesticks as well. They are android based as any android apps can be loaded on them. Kodi is easily sideloaded on them, and is easist done with the apps2fire app and my friend can highly recommend the paradox build for kodi.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,345
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
I use an Amazon Firestick, myself; it's a nice interface for Netflix and Hulu; I'd also probably look into an indoor HD antenna (or hell, old rabbit ears will work just as well - perhaps better) for local channels, such as news and maybe weather.  I'd love to ditch our cable TV, however the powers that be would have a fit. :facepalm:
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,009 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »
Kodi can do a lot, and with the right addons covers a lot. So perhaps looking at an android box that will run kodi natively (get full use of resources) or you could just install it on android directly https://play.google.com/s...d=org.xbmc.kodi&hl=en

I bought one of these when they went on launch sale: https://wetek.com/product/wetek-openelec but barely use it as my Shuttle box is still more powerful (but minus the tv tuners) and Openelec seemed to stagnate with updates and I switched to Libreelec. I also have a Pulse Eight USB-CEC adapter which allows me to run my kodi box with my TV remote (once it's initially powered on, there are many options I choose not to use such as power up with the tv)

These days I've been looking for a replacement again, hoping for something that will natively decode HEVC/H265 (I'm not overly bothered by 4k, it'll be some time before I get a TV that will support that, but that's also a bonus), so some of the new Intel Compute Sticks and NUC or similar are looking like a likely option, albeit more money than I want to spend atm.

As far as basic kodi box, an rPi will do A LOT for very little scratch, you probably already have most of the things you need minus the rPi.

Worth mentioning that you can use any android device as a remote for kodi using the app: https://play.google.com/s...d=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:25:06 PM by Whoey »

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,515 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
My Android Box arrived yesterday.  I picked it up on eBay for around $40 and so far I'm pretty happy with it, although I have yet to really figure it out.  I am however really enjoying being able to watch Rick & Morty.  :D

I am sure as time goes y I will find other uses for it, but for now, coolsies.  :D

Def

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
Put Movie HD android app on it, you won't be sorry  :pok:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
I think that one is already on it.  If it isn't I'll put that one on it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Def

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,498 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:20:22 AM »
*Bump*
Some how the wife is all over the subject about a firestick with kodi 17.6, so since I found this post I fig I’d ask if anyone’s into this?
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

No Life Club Posts: 4,923
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »
I Kodi'd my surface pro 3. Put in all kinds of repositories. Think it's on v. 17.3 or so. Covenant and Exodus have a lot of content. Been a couple months since I've played anything on the tube. Might need updating.

:like:
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:29:54 PM »
I Kodi'd my surface pro 3. Put in all kinds of repositories. Think it's on v. 17.3 or so. Covenant and Exodus have a lot of content. Been a couple months since I've played anything on the tube. Might need updating.

Kodi is version 17.6 at the mo. I have the Paradox build on all my firesticks. It's been a good build for a long time now and they update it regularly.
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:31:15 PM »
*Bump*
Some how the wife is all over the subject about a firestick with kodi 17.6, so since I found this post I fig I’d ask if anyone’s into this?
JR

I am  :D

How's she getting on with it?
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:48:40 PM »
I think that one is already on it.  If it isn't I'll put that one on it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Def

Movie HD won't update at the mo so it's broken.  :'(

They are supposedly working on a fix, but I haven't found it yet.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $242.00
PayPal Fees: $13.54
Net Balance: $228.46
Below Goal: $46.54
Site Currency: USD
83% 
February Donations

Community Links