Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Let's talk pens! 651

No Life Club Posts: 2,484
Re: Let's talk pens!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »
I have gravitated towards Pentel pens lately. I carry a pastel colored click pen I call Miami Vice in my car. Also, have a couple non click RSVP pens at work. No clicker and pretty comfortable. Also, pretty cheap to replace if one takes a dump. All of these have readily available refills as well.

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
Full Member Posts: 100
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
I have the Zebra F-xMD --- it's very similar to the F-701, looks the same but is (almost) all metal.  Zebra say the F-xMD is good if you are a surgeon or work in a pie factory, because all pieces of the pen are metal and will show up on X-ray if you loose it!   :rofl:

I know people have modded the F-701 using the clicker part from the F-402, to get a metal clicker mechanism.  But the F-xMD has that now.  The only plastic piece I can see is an insert in the tip that stops the refill from rattling.  I replaced the Zebra refill with a space pen refill, and had to slightly enlarge the hole in this plastic piece to get a smooth action.

The F-xMD is the middle pen in the picture below.  From top to bottom I have a Uni Style Fit 3 colour pen, a black Uni Style fit 5 colour pen, then the Zebra F-xMD, a 5 colour Pilot Coleto (with some tape holding it together because I stepped on it one day), and a black Kuru Toga mechanial pencil.

My favourite pens are the Uni Style Fit Meister 3 Colour and the 5 Colour Multi Pens.  The pens take gel ink in a wide range of colours (see refills in the above picture --- each in a sealed tube) and widths 0.28mm, 0.38mm and 0.5mm, and also there are black/red/blue Jetstream ink refills --- these ballpoint inks are creamy smooth.  I carry the black/red/blue ink version every day at work in the 3 colour pen, along with the 5 colour version (is slightly wider) with more colours (highlighter type colours) for marking up documents and making tiny notes in margins in a nice thin 0.28mm brown or blue/black.

Here are some variations in the Style Fit family.  I think you can even get a pencil insert.

Here are some Coletos:

Coleto refills have a needle point and although I have heard good things about them, I found the gel inks smeared a little when wet, whereas the Style Fit gels were less prone to this.  The Coleto clicker is part of the refill and coloured to match the gel colour.  Whereas the Style Fit clicker is part of the pen itself.

And finally, the Kuro Toga mechanical pencil.  This is excellent!  Here's my spare, ready for when/if Ioose my current one.

SAK Addict No Life Club Posts: 3,977
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
Where’s a good place to buy the f-xmd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full Member Posts: 100
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
I got my F-xMD from https://www.cultpens.com/ (I'm in the UK).  The space pen refill for the F-xMD was a Schmidt 4889M Megaline Pressurised Ballpoint Pen Refill Medium Blue Single (SM16179-BU-1)
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 11,853 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
I soooo want this pen, it’s a cool looking bolt but it’s solid aluminum, just a simple piece of stock drilled out to fit a ink cartridge with spring and a back end, but I love it cause of the knurled grip! But I think the guy who was making them just stopped.. my luck.
   The other thing that got me thinking was running out of ink while out, that would be my luck, so what about a pencil? Well they break, but what if protected, so how about a bullet? Same idea of a fisher space pen, doubles in size when time to use, I had one, no clue where it is, but I thought there cool, never dried up ink, won’t break, and are smaller, only downer is erasable.. if not a worrie, I saw these two, both heavy raw aluminum, like OMG those are cool..
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

No Life Club Posts: 1,412
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
I carried Zebra F-701 as my edc last 4-5 years and I also wanted to mod it with F-402 clicker but I simply couldn't find one locally, and eBay shipping was as much as twice the price of the pen itself.
So, when Zebra produced F-xMD and my local distributor got them in stock I immediately bought one.
This is my edc pen set-up:
Zebra F-xMD, Staedtler 925 25 mechanical pen and small Sharpie.

Some of my other pens that I use occasionally:
Parker Jotters, Zebra F-301, Zebra F-701, Space pen and Field Notes graphite pen-I also own and use Inka pen but I forgot to include it in the photo.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,794 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
I didn't know we had a pens thread.
I've been toting around the Space Pen for 4 months now and I am very happy with it. Fits perfectly on my single-side-pocket Leatherman leather sheath

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool (2x), Rebar, ST300, Kick, Blast, Fuse, Micra (2x), Squirt (3x), Core, Wave, Wingman, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (3x), MP600, Pro Scout, MP700, MP800, Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier (2x), Blacktip (3x), ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs:Waiter, Mountaineer, Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Rambler, Minichamp, Classic SD, Champion, Handyman, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp (2x), OHO Soldier, Golf Tool, Wenger S557, 14, Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,187 Hook enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
I'm looking to get a raw brass Fisher pen. :dd:

Hooked, like everyone else. :D

Small knives do what big knives do, just slower.

My 30 day pen challenge! Pretty(?) Pictures inside:
Official 30 Day Pen Challenge!

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $372.43
PayPal Fees: $22.89
Net Balance: $349.54
Above Goal: $74.54
Site Currency: USD
127% 
November Donations

Community Links