Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Antivirus? 738

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 57,331 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Antivirus?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
I did it.

My paranoia won out and I bought a year subscription to McAfee.  I decided that in the end, the peace of mind was worth the $30 or so it cost.

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
No Life Club Posts: 2,966
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
I've been using Avast (the free version) for the last ten years and I think it does the job a lot better than the Norton (that I bought ...) which I used before.

I don't like McAfee very much because it has installed (or tried to install) on my laptop on numerous occasions while installing/updating something else (at least I think it was McAfee ... old people and modern technology ::)).

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open"
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 57,331 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 02:37:39 AM »
McAfee likes to try and install itself with browsers and I think Adobe products.

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
No Life Club Posts: 3,469
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
McAfee likes to try and install itself with browsers and I think Adobe products.

Def

Yep it likes to add it's pishing filter stuff and safe site scanner, etc if you let it.
No Life Club Posts: 3,761 You don't want to see me SMURF!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
I've been using Avast (paid version, but nothing wrong with the free version) for years with absolutely no issues. :tu:

I'd stay away from McAfee, they used to be good in early 2000's, but now... I mean, good software doesn't  need to
try to sneak in onto your computer without permission, right?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
- Douglas Adams

Completely Random Smurf with Aleph
The Cycling Thread
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 14,073 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
I've been using Avast (paid version, but nothing wrong with the free version) for years with absolutely no issues. :tu:

I'd stay away from McAfee, they used to be good in early 2000's, but now... I mean, good software doesn't  need to

I feel exactly the same way  :cheers: If you have to click a box in order to NOT download software, I think clicking that box is worth the effort.

My current users:
Victorinox: - Spirit X/RT, Climber Small, Alox Rambler, Original Outdoorsman, CT34 & 41, Compact,
Huntsman, Tourist, Manager, Ranger + mods (Sheepsfoot Duke & Mega84)
Wenger: - 4 Travellers & 2 PTCs + mod (Brian)
Gerber: - Balance, Dimes + mods (MP426, DEsTroyer, MP6000, TurboDiesel, Neutered Octane)
Leatherman: - Sideclips, Anniversary Wave, + mods (Fuse-ilier, Gerberised Squirt - in development)
Others: - Vise Grips LC6
No Life Club Posts: 1,308 Duck!
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »

I feel exactly the same way  :cheers: If you have to click a box in order to NOT download software, I think clicking that box is worth the effort.

Couldn't agree more there.
Full Member Posts: 191
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »
For personal use, having an antivirus is very useful, if you see the amount of attacks done for personal use pc its actually quite a lot. However, most of these attacks are done in random and the target is many users. An open source antivirus should do. Personally, using norton for my work pc is quite reassuring but for my personal pc i dont really put one. I guess if you know what you're doing then antivirus is just ads and bloatware in some sense.  :D  :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 2,243
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:17 AM »
I did a search for best free antivirus and came up with this http://au.pcmag.com/antiv...ivirus-protection-of-2017 so put Avast onto my PC.

No Life Club Posts: 2,302
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 02:30:26 AM »
Try Avast boss. I've been using it for years now, no problems.
 :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 4,297 Is there a cure for multitool separation anxiety?
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 07:22:48 AM »
  Kapersky is probably the best paid version. McAfee would be the one of the worst choices. Trend-Micro was good back in the day but they kept increasing their subscription prices.

Malwarebytes was good too, but slows my system down at times. It kept sending me stuff about how it protects from Ransomware and think it was using it as a scare tactic. Their previous iteration was targeting safe & useful apps as PUPs left and right, then their update stopped doing that. As much as they talk about Ransomware am starting to think they thrive on threats and probably support Ransomware just to sell their product. Am cancelling soon as the expiration wears out this month.

No Life Club Posts: 2,243
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
What I really hate is when it is only after you buy something that everyone says you shouldn't buy it.  ;)

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $435.00
PayPal Fees: $25.31
Net Balance: $409.69
Above Goal: $134.69
Site Currency: USD
149% 
July Donations

Community Links