Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Swisstool X has arrived

Dunc · 18 · 6494

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
The Swisstool X has arrived
on: March 17, 2007, 12:00:02 PM
It came yesterday  :D New in box  ( kind of ) . I got it off ebay for a good price , it was advertised as new . It had a bit of dirt/dust in the tool so it looks like it was pocket carried for a short time . The box and user guide are untouched . I washed dryed and re-oiled the tool and had a good look at it and was pleased to see it hasnt been used , the saw still has the bur from the factory and there is still a slight bur in the hardwire cutter on the pliers , the blade still has its factory edge and the screwdrivers are unmarked so I did alright  ;) The pliers are tight but there is a little play in the tools on the scissor handle but I can live with that as I've yet to see a Swisstool without a bit of play somewhere .I've also noticed some differences to my early std Swisstool . I've been aware of these differences for sometime now as I've had so many swisstool over the years but have never photographed them .
   The X model is on the right in all the pics

Its still got the original plier head but has the later lanyard/corkscrew holder

The chisel and wire striper is different , its alot steeper angle on the X and there is a small section in the bottom of the wire stripper that is not sharpened ( I would imagine thats so the core of the wire doesnt get cut ) . X on the bottom

Next up is the awl , the earlier std has a slightly sharper piont and along the nail nick side it has a channel cut out . Hard to explain and difficult to see in the pictures , sorry  :-[
X is the top one

None of these changes are due to the models i.e because ones a std and ones an X . Its due to improvements/ changes over time and all models can be found with the changes  ( as far as I know ) .
  The differences between the Standard and X model for those who dont already know is the X model has scissors instead of a serrated blade , all other tools remain the same .

Last up is the sheaths .The early ones suck ( hard ) . In the following pic the early one is on the left and has seen about 2 months belt time . I dont really need to say anymore about it as the pics are self explanatory.

Thanks for reading and any comments most welcome .

Thanks

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The Swisstool X has arrived
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 01:43:43 PM
That X is a beautiful tool.  Almost perfect IMHO... I have to get another one soon, even if I have to break down and buy one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:05:43 AM
Great pictures Dunc, they look awesome on that colorful background!

Y'know, to a casual observer it would appear that Victorinox simply keeps on cranking out the same old SwissTool, year after year. But they would be wrong! I'm impressed by those continuous improvements they keep making. The addition of the lanyard/corkscrew slot, the subtle change on the wire stripper notch, and the better sheath are all examples. Also the stronger plier head that we talked about in another thread.

It's not often these days that a manufacturer will invest time and money (to change tooling and manufacturing) in order to improve an existing product.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:58:24 PM
I agree with you there....  But the awl doesn't look like an improvement.

Sheesh, I guess I'm going to have to get one of these for those jobs where the Spirit just isn't quite big enough.  ::)
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:07:26 PM
I wish Vic would put dates on their knives and tools (like Leatherman does) so a person could tell when it was manufactured. I've seen a few different SwissTool models, each with slight variations, and in some cases its hard to tell which one came first, and which one is the "improvement" that came later?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:19:07 PM
I wish every manufacturer would at least put a version number if not dates on everything they manufacture.  I guess it makes too much sense.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:29:51 PM
I strongly agree about the date thing , it would make things so much simpler .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:27:30 AM
How long ago do you suppose it was that they changed the bracket hole to fit the corkscrew?
v-hole.jpg
* v-hole.jpg (Filesize: 68.24 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:30:56 AM
I have wondered that myself.  I have two with the "old" hole and one with the new.

My old X had the new hole as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:08:57 PM
I dont think its a recent change but I dont know how long ago either , same goes for the new shape pliers although there doesnt seem to be many of them about and I dont own one now .If you buy a new swisstool its still pot luck as to wether or not you get the corkscrew slot , there are still alot of the round hole ones about .

Dunc

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 11:33:26 PM
I bought my swisstool 2 years ago and it came with the corkscrew slot. So its at least that old. Further back than that i don't know.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 09:40:15 PM
I've found some more changes between the older std and newer X model , this time in the small flat end screwdriver .
X on the right , as you can see aswell as the grind the X's screwdriver is longer

X at the top

Just another little difference that I cant believe I havnt spotted before .

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 10:31:12 PM
great pics mate, nice to see you,ve got yourself a proper swiss tool again :grin:

seriously i  still think that the X is the best package
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 05:51:50 AM
Do you consider the screwdriver difference to be an "improvement" in some way?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 10:54:29 AM
Do you consider the screwdriver difference to be an "improvement" in some way?

Not really , maybe the new ones grind is more central but it doesnt make any difference really . Unlike the awl , the old one is much better although near on impossible to sharpen so i can see why the newer awl is better in the long run .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 11:00:20 AM
great pics mate, nice to see you,ve got yourself a proper swiss tool again :grin:

seriously i  still think that the X is the best package

The X is a good alround tool but no Serrations , Wont be really happy until I get a RS , then I can have the best of both worlds , Serrations , plain edge and scissors , I hardly ever need a file .Why Do I sell things then regret it  :(

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 10:50:08 PM
The X is a good alround tool but no Serrations , Wont be really happy until I get a RS , then I can have the best of both worlds , Serrations , plain edge and scissors , I hardly ever need a file .Why Do I sell things then regret it  :(

Dunc

If I recall correctly, it is because you sold your RS instead of selling Def's PowerLock!  :pok:  (Bet you'll never make that  mistake again!)  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 11:02:44 PM
Maybe the RS was nicer that Def's PowerLock.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%