Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your home emergency plan

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Your home emergency plan
on: May 09, 2024, 02:48:54 AM
I just found this link to developing an emergency plan and I thought I'd share it.

https://brnw.ch/21wI5xu

How many of you have an emergency plan, and how many of you have made sure everyone around you knows it inside and out?

I hope no one ever needs it, but it's well worth thinking about.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Your home emergency plan
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 05:22:11 AM
If I need to evacuate my house, my plan is to grab my "go bag" (which contains most of my knife and multi collection and a few important documents) and the pets and just...well, go. Assuming the water doesn't go to smurf, I can sustain myself in the house for ten days, as the linked article suggests. Clearly I have some rethinking and plan modification to do.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline AzteCypher

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 06:32:00 AM
We have a few solutions in place to bug-in but haven't fully fleshed out evacuation though we do have a small bug-out bag in our SUV.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 09:31:44 AM
That's a good resource for Canadians.  In the U.S. https://www.ready.gov/ will start you on disaster planning.  In addition, every state and local government has their own disaster planning and emergency management sites and everyone should look them up.  Here's some from Florida for example since it is hurricane preparedness week and hurricane season starts next month.
https://www.myflorida.com/search_results.html?q=emergency+preparation#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=emergency%20preparation&gsc.page=1

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 03:17:47 PM
We really don’t have a plan, besides a grab and just go, get the animals out which the to dogs did yesterday, (I had to chase them for a block before someone helped and held them so I could hook them up and bring them home) but we’re mostly inside people, since we don’t drive we’re limited, we already have had a state wide emergency, the whole state lost power for over a week, I mean we had water, we had fuel for our furnace, but it wouldn’t work without electric, thus the same with the water heater, so yeah I ended up taking a very cold shower, but as for the food in the fridge I packed shoebox size plastic containers with snow and put them in the fridge, by morning they would be pretty much liquid so I tossed it down the drain and packed them again, as for cooking we had the grill outside, or this is where camp gear comes in handy, we had a propane two burner, and I must say spam, eggs, and mac/cheez are a must! And for keeping the place warm, again camp gear comes in handy, we closed off half the place and pretty much lived out of two rooms, all four of us, kids slept in sleeping bags on the floor, of course we got the bed and our own heater called the dog since he slept on the bed, but the little propane heater would run for a little to keep it warm, then I would cut it off, day wasn’t too bad I’d even open a window to get some fresh air for a little, but we made it,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%