Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thought of possibility of adding Plus tools to Alox SAK?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
I've posted this idea on both EDCF and SOSAK, but I thought I'd post it here, too, if anyone doesn't happen to visit those forums.

I have no idea as to the feasibility of it - nor do I have the skill to even attempt it - but one minor/major complaint of Alox SAKs is that they lack the toothpick and tweezers. Random thinking today allowed me to possibly find a way to add them back, without modding the Alox scales whatsoever.

If anyone is familiar with the Leatherman Mini, my idea is loosely based off from the folding-out handle extensions; mainly, a thin/small fold-out case, somewhat similar to the fold-out USB sticks of Victorinoxes, minus the USB and preferably metal, for durability. Whether it would entirely fold out from one side, or split it up, I don't quite know. But instead of the USB stick, it would be a carry case for a toothpick, tweezers, and - room permitting - a pin and pen; effectively granting owners a Plus Alox SAK.

I don't quite know how thick it would make them, but maybe the Wenger toothpick and tweezers would be more effective, while still using a removable - or retractable may work even better - pen, and a pin from Victorinox models.  I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity, other substitutions for tools can be made, too, maybe a recased Photon light, for instance. o.o

Is it a crazy idea, or is it kooky enough to be someone's pet project? ^^;

I've been debating as to whether or not this post should go here, or the Swiss forum, but I believe this board is more appropriate.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Thought of possibility of adding Plus tools to Alox SAK?
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:10:33 AM
Welcome to the forum.  :tu:

I like the theory of your idea, but I'm not convinced the pay off is worth the amount of work needed to bring it to life.  Even if you can construct the case (which sounds like a challenge in itself) you would also need to adapt/make a back-spring to suit.  To fit all four tools into the case I can see it ending up quite wide and so adding to the thickness of the SAK.  I admit I'm maybe not quite visualising what you mean though.  :think:

I sorry that sounds so negative because I'd love to see it work somehow.  Why not pop over to the new members list and tell us a bit about yourself?  I'm guessing you're a Victorinox fan (well done  :tu:) but are there other multi-tools you have?

Best of luck with the idea.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:46:21 AM
My description is quite poor, but I always have a difficult time putting thoughts to words... except for essays, for whatever reason.

I think most of the hard work could be circumvented through using the bulk of a Swiss Memory SAK, backspring, et cetera from the USB case - I know I said probably metal, earlier, but maybe cutting down a plastic case would be easier?  Doing rough mental thoughts, the case /should/ be able to be halved in size, with possibly a little insert "plug" to keep the tools from moving around, and set in new tracks.  Wenger tweezers and a toothpick could be used; they seem to be slightly smaller than Victorinox, at least in the thumb tab.  Altogether, it /might/ be a tight fit, but I think for adding width up to a Minichamp-size... I don't know.  I'd not be the one to try the idea, anyway; I don't mod SAKs, though I do hope to learn one day. ^^;

First, though, I'm working through my undergrad degree, so it would have to come later.

[Edit:  And yes, I am a Victorinox fan, though Leatherman also has my heart, especially the Juice KF4, Micra, and Squirt P4 - if only it had the tweezers, too, though. >.>;]

[Edit 2:  Oh, and thank you for the welcome; I'm more of a regular over at EDCF, though under a different user. ^^; :)]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:48:10 AM by Sazabi »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:32 AM
I don't think I could do it but if you do I would love to see some pics of it :tu:

and welcome to the forum Sazabi :cheers:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:31:13 AM
Hehehe, I wish I could mod a SAK on that level, but I've not even attempted swapping scales yet. >.>

Wow, that reminds me that I need to clean and oil my SAKs. ._. *puts it on his to-do list*

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%