Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishing - I want to know everything about it

styx · 38 · 1329

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Fishing - I want to know everything about it
Reply #30 on: June 02, 2024, 03:59:20 PM
I usually just fish near home so I prepare the fishing equipment there depending on what is planned. After that I typically just bring a fishing rod, reel, knife, and a few suitable lures and a bag or two for the catch. A small scissor and pliers sometimes comes along as it sometimes makes things easier. If I expect big fish and or difficult landing areas then a landing net or gaff too.

When I was younger I often used worms as bait as that seemed to catch more. Then I got too lazy to keep a decent worm pit, and finding enough suitable worms without a dedicated pit is a proper job of its own. So now it has been decades since last time. (As a side note I had some decent income as a kid selling worms from my worm pit to salmon fishers).

My father sometimes goes fishing with just his otter board. That is compact for hiking and will reach farther out on lakes than rod fishing. It isn't that great when it is windy though. (Some people have been known for balloon fishing in windy conditions).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 02, 2024, 10:03:33 PM
Here is most of what is in my fishing box:

Cuda micro scissors, only used for braid and mono.

Split ring pliers, home made from a broken pair of scissors. If I was to buy some I would go for the 6" Shimano ones.

Emergency line cutter gets worn while fishing, Sog Flash 2 lightweight one hand friendly, won't cry if I lose it.

Bait knives. Victorinox paring serrated and plain edge. Various other old paring, fillet, boning and skinning knifes.

Fillet knives. Keep them sharp. Use the bait knife for scales and bones, fillet knife for cutting fillets.
Like a chainsaw or a motorbike, the fillet knife isn't something you want to loan someone.

Iki spikes, home made from old screwdrivers.

Gut hook remover, home made from an old screwdriver.

Lip hook remover, home made from stainless rod.

Long reach lip hook remover, home made from stainless rod.

Pliers. I've used many Leatherman, Gerber, Sog and Victorinox pliers.
Not any more. They do okay for some jobs but not for cutting hooks.
Now I carry double leverage diagonal cutters, double leverage long nosed pliers, mini bolt cutters and small vise grips.
I have removed hooks from birds, dogs and people.
I use single hooks mostly with the barbs crushed but plenty of people still use treble hooks which are horrible to remove.

Button hook, good for pulling hooks and swivels to tighten knots.

Half a pencil, good for wrapping line around and pulling to tighten knots.

Half a cotton bud hollow plastic bit, good for nail knots.

Nail clippers, good for trimming the ends.

Measuring tape.

That is a lot more than i expected

We were at the coast over the last week and I took special care to check out the local fishermen. saw 5 in total, 2 couldn't really approach as my son was on a mission to find ice cream and that takes precedence. The other 3 were with very minimal gear and even less success. Might have had something to do with the fact that they were fishing close there a lost of children were playing in the water.

1 was using a lure, while the other 2 were going with bait fish

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 03, 2024, 12:36:29 AM
That is a lot more than i expected

I'm pretty sure Zoidberg has a more specialized type of fishing or species than I deal with. Here you will go far with a fishing rod, reel, some lures and a knife. (Typically an inexpensive Mora - because they tend to get lost, rusty or similar. It is a very similar mystique to single socks when I think about it..?) Oh, and lots of luck helps!

If they are fishing with actual bait fish it sounds like sea fishing from the shore with fairly heavy equipment?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #33 on: June 04, 2024, 09:12:13 PM
one would think but all rods seemed to be under 2.5 meters and i didn't see any overly large reels.

to be fair, i also don't know what kinds of fish can be found in that area, so there might be something i'm missing

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 06, 2024, 06:51:38 PM
I figured YouTube might a good place to see some fishermen in action in locations. So I checked out some channels doing shore fishing in the sea with episodes from the area around here. None of the ones I found actually did shore fishing like we usually do around here which I found somewhat confusing and thus hard to recommend anything. (Key differences being that these Youtubers bring a lot more and heavier equipment. Locals typically go light or just go boat).

Still, there might be some good content on Youtube from you fishing area? I do think what would really help and quickly get you up to speed is following along on some actual fishing. Around here there are hunting and fishing clubs all over the place (although typically just one in any given area), and they do help new members getting started. Beside the issues of fishing technique and equipment there are local issues like locations and fish behaviour which would be hard to pick up elsewhere.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #35 on: June 07, 2024, 08:59:36 PM
well I'm also rewatching River monsters and Dark waters. once thing that is being hammered in constantly is knowledge of the locals

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2024, 05:18:33 PM
Yes, those are (were?) great series. Which also reminds me that there seems to be two lines of fishermen:

The process oriented fishermen who enjoy the thrill of searching for and catching that special big one. That would be those TV series, and for instance salmon and halibut fishers who patiently and systematically go about for the time that special big rush.

Then there are the fishermen who is more result oriented and just wants lots of fish even if they are not as spectacular. Typically sea fishing as those are generally bigger, and around here at lease that would be cod, saithe and other species which are relatively plentiful, fairly easy to get and thus less challenging.

If those TV series are your thing you might be in the first category. Be warned though, once you get your first big one you might get addicted. :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #37 on: June 09, 2024, 08:30:42 AM
i won't lie, catch something massive would be a thrill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%