Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Executive?

Poncho65 · 309 · 36779

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Victorinox Executive?
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 12:28:46 AM
Owe yeah by the way >:(

Those are awesome :D :tu:

Offline Ben X

Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:54 AM
I have owned many Executives and I will give my $.02 worth. First of all, buying them new is overrated as they are definitely WAY expensive. I've gotten one on ebay for $8 rather than $30. They seem to be a really durable design (plus they are warrantied) so I really would not be afraid to go used if you can sharpen well.
Second, I had a minichamp that I beat the heck out of as a keychain carry and those blades are solid as screwdrivers etc. Whereas the Executive's orange peeler is a little nimble and prone to twisting. It's too long and thin to have any real strength unfortunately.
Third, it is hands down the best nail file Vic makes. And it's ultra thin so for formal dress it is there for all my weddings etc. with all the things a formal event would need: scissors, a file, a toothpick for fancy meals, tweezers, and a couple of knife blades.
Fourth, I am a much bigger fan of the rambler looking purely at function and ability to take a little rough use. The Executive is still my keychain knife, but when I get around to it I will be getting a Rambler. I just have a love affair with the Executive in the same way men fall for high maintenance women :P I love to look at it, and it just has something about it I can't resist.  :tool:
"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:29 AM
I have owned many Executives and I will give my $.02 worth. First of all, buying them new is overrated as they are definitely WAY expensive. I've gotten one on ebay for $8 rather than $30. They seem to be a really durable design (plus they are warrantied) so I really would not be afraid to go used if you can sharpen well.
Second, I had a minichamp that I beat the heck out of as a keychain carry and those blades are solid as screwdrivers etc. Whereas the Executive's orange peeler is a little nimble and prone to twisting. It's too long and thin to have any real strength unfortunately.
Third, it is hands down the best nail file Vic makes. And it's ultra thin so for formal dress it is there for all my weddings etc. with all the things a formal event would need: scissors, a file, a toothpick for fancy meals, tweezers, and a couple of knife blades.
Fourth, I am a much bigger fan of the rambler looking purely at function and ability to take a little rough use. The Executive is still my keychain knife, but when I get around to it I will be getting a Rambler. I just have a love affair with the Executive in the same way men fall for high maintenance women :P I love to look at it, and it just has something about it I can't resist.  :tool:

Great $.02  :tu: I will have to remember to watch out for the orange peeler thanks :cheers: It is a nice knife and I plan on carrying it some :) We will see how it goes  ;)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:04 PM
I have an BN Executive on the way! I am looking forward to using the orange peeler! It's my most used tool on my Mini Champ!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 02:22:58 AM
I have an BN Executive on the way! I am looking forward to using the orange peeler! It's my most used tool on my Mini Champ!

:cheers: I just got my 2nd one ::) in the mail today :D I really love the orange peeler on it and it's bigger size makes it easier to use ;)

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:11 AM
Why don't they make an Executive-sized MiniChamp?????
Take what's in the Executive,  and add the phillips/bottleopener
and the Wharncliffe blade (both scaled up to 74mm) as a 3rd layer.

R

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:34 PM
Damn fine post that :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 06:15:46 PM

That's a very good point Andy :tu: Wonder why they don't :think: Would make for an incredible SAK :o :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:59 AM

That would be a great SAK.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:44 AM
That would be a phenomenal SAK!  :D
B

Offline Ben X

Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:43 AM
Yeah I will never look at the Executive (and what it could be) the same again after Spork's mod. I agree completely about adding the bottle opener/phillips and the Wharncliff layer. Anyone know the pin size for the Executive? I am about to order brass rods from the UK and I'm getting 2.2mm and 2.5mm- will the 2.2mm work for the 74mm's? Also does anyone remember Spork saying whether or not he drilled out the bottle opener to make it work? I might be reluctant to mod a 74mm if the 58mm tools have to be drilled since I've heard vic blades are pretty hard.
"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:02 AM
Modern 74mm SAKs have 2mm pins.  Vintage ones have 1.5mm pins.  58mm SAKs have 1.5mm pins.  So you're most likely going to have to redrill the bottle opener. 

By far the best way of doing it is with carbide bits but only if you have a drill press as although they're very hard they're incredibly brittle.  Without a drill press it is still doable though.  You can heat the pivot end of the opener until just before it starts to glow to detemper it.  Once done you can widen the hole with normal HSS bits.  It does work, its how I did my first two 58mm openers.

Neil

* elbow.jpg (Filesize: 4.84 KB)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 05:41:14 AM
Well been a little over a year and I am still carrying the Executive everyday to work :tu: and great knife it has been :D I have used it over and over and it still just works :cheers: I have been carrying a slippie folder as well but I carry the Executive for the scissors and the file owe and the 2 extra blade the toothpick the tweezers and let's not forget the peeler ;) In other words I use everything this little knife has to offer ;) It does get some of the dirty work that I won't cut with my other knife ::) but it has been a good EDC and if not for the fact I just like to carry another knife :D this 1 would do me just fine :tu: Will continue to carry this knife for years to come :cheers:

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:33 PM
I recently bought two Alox executives. They are nice.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 06:43:18 PM
Alox Executives Are VERY nice!  I like Black ones.

Put the Executive in Stainless Steel scales and you have the Director.... which is Awesome as well.

So given the Director and the Alox Executives, the pain executive is down on my list a bit (I have a few black ones, and a coupel other colors though).

Overall I really like this knife in SS or Alox and think it is far superior to the Classic and 58mm knives in general.  However... for some reason I still collect MiniChamps. I don't really need any other 74mm knives other than the Director and Alox Executive, but I have a few.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 05:44:58 AM
 :o Alox I like :drool: I just don't believe I would carry it over the celidor for lack of the toothpick though :-\ Probably won't stop me getting 1 though :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:20 AM
Well it has been 3 and a half years :ahhh and I am still carrying the same Vic Executive :o I have carried it almost everyone of those days as well :tu: I have used every tool in it numerous times and it has yet to let me down.  The scissors in it and the bigger (than the 58mm size) blade are both draws for me as I carry a multi that usually doesn't have scissors. Love the orange peeler it has peeled many a orange and other citrus fruits :D The file is great for fine detail work and I also use it as a finger nail file and it does a fine job (well for me at least) at that :cheers: It is a great knife and I would recommend it for anyone that is trying to decide on a SAK to carry  :tu:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:08 AM
Good to hear it's still serving you well Poncho. :cheers:  I did get myself an Executive a year or two ago but I have to admit I never did warm to it as much as my Ambassador.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:21 PM
Welcome back mate :tu:

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 02:51:31 PM
It is definitely one of my favorites and it spends lots of time in my pocket.

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
Welcome back mate :tu:

Thanks Mike :cheers: I actually never left just haven't posted much at all in the last several months :D Tried to check in about everyday and see what was going on just didn't have as much to post about :tu:  Dug up this old thread that I have been thinking about for a while now and after reading it thought I should update :cheers: Just wished they would make more tools for this size SAK or make a 74mm minichamp :drool:

Victorinox Executive?
Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 04:18:57 PM
It is a pretty ignored size isn't it :(

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:36 PM
I think the Executive is great.  I always have mine on me, it lives on my keys.  The nail file is the best I've used on any keychain tool.  A lot of times the Exec is the only pair of scissors I'm carrying, and they see a lot of use.  The orange peeler has actually never peeled an orange, but gets used as a clamshell opener, or as a small serrated blade.  Great tool in a size they made more of!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 06:05:33 PM
It is indeed.  I wish Vic would stop mucking around with 58mm electronics and do something with the 74mm range. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 02:41:16 AM
It is indeed.  I wish Vic would stop mucking around with 58mm electronics and do something with the 74mm range.

Yeah it is a very usable size and I don't know how I would have gotten along without it these past 3 and a half years :ahhh  Would be great to see what Vic could do with this range as they are no stranger to making a smaller knife more capable (MiniChamp) :pok: :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:40:05 AM by Poncho65 »

england Offline macabee

Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:19 AM
Reverted back to my executive for my keyring EDC :pok:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 07:50:25 PM
My Exec is my most carried SAK, and my second favorite after my Work Champ.  (My Compact is a very close runner up though!)

I actually do use the orange peeler from time to time, but I'd gladly sacrifice it for a 74 mm version of the combo tool from the 58 mm models... If they did that, I'd prefer to see the end of the file squared off for flathead screws though.  I also don't see the point of the smaller blade on the Exec either, but I can't think of what would take its place.  Still, with just those two little changes, the combo tool and the flattened end of the file, it'd be darn close to the perfect small SAK in my book.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 09:13:25 PM
Love love LOVE the Executive. It's one of those SAKs that packs a redonkulous amount of utility into a very small package; it's small enough for a keychain, yet big enough to handle real knife tasks*. It's the one knife I always have on me, or within arm's reach.

A black cellidor one lives on my keychain; it replaced a green cellidor one that got a crack in the scale, which lives in my desk at work. Somewhere I've got a black alox one, which is incredibly thin, but I miss the tweezers and toothpick.

My favorite one, although I don't carry it anymore, is a smooth silver alox one I grabbed off fleaBay. I carried that one on my keys for two years, until a SAK collector told me just how rare that silly thing was! I'd thought I'd lost it twice, but it always turned up, but third time's the charm... Soooo, that one sits in the Toy Box, safe.

(*I regularly use my office Exec to cut up an apple in the afternoon. Try halving a big, round Royal Gala or Honeycrisp with a 58mm sometime!)

Like Heinz says, it's the best nail file on any Vic, mostly since it's double-cut rather than stippled, AND the teeth go all the way to the edge. And that orange peeler is perfect for cutting wrapping tape when opening boxes, and the notch is excellent for slicing open those @#$%^& clam-packs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:36 PM
I have a Director ... same thing with Stainless scales. I like it, but as a desk knife. It's just not quite "enough" to put it in my pocket and carry it as a stand alone SAK, yet an Executive would be too big for keys IMO.

Although smaller, I personally find Wenger's Pocket Tool Chest to be a better mini SAK for pocket carry. Paired up with a Gerber Dime and AA torch, it works a treat.

The Director may see more use though over the long term though, as the PTC is a great carry option, whereas the Director will be on the desk all the time  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 02, 2012, 11:45:51 PM
I have a Director ... same thing with Stainless scales. I like it, but as a desk knife. It's just not quite "enough" to put it in my pocket and carry it as a stand alone SAK, yet an Executive would be too big for keys IMO.

Although smaller, I personally find Wenger's Pocket Tool Chest to be a better mini SAK for pocket carry. Paired up with a Gerber Dime and AA torch, it works a treat.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Director may see more use though over the long term though, as the PTC is a great carry option, whereas the Director will be on the desk all the time  :)
I gotta say, I've been eyeing one of those little Wengers... they look like very nicely designed tools.  The bottle opener combo tool is the big draw for me... I also like that they have the little reamer / awl in them too...  Not that I do a lot of sewing with such things, but having a sharp, slender tool for probing and scraping would be a very nice tool to have.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%