Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Executive?

Poncho65 · 309 · 36576

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Victorinox Executive?
Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:08 AM
It's a very nice general purpose pokey thing  :D The combo tool has a small flat driver rather than the little phillips you're so fond of ... but at least the bottle opener is there and with a little work the nail file could fill the phillips role  :) Another huge plus for me is the eyeglasses driver, which is very ergonomic and gives better control than the Vic corkscrew job (great little widget though it is).

If a 58mm is just too small, I'd say give it a try. If the 58 is WAY too small for you .... well, give it a try anyway  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:08 AM
It's a very nice general purpose pokey thing  :D The combo tool has a small flat driver rather than the little phillips you're so fond of ... but at least the bottle opener is there and with a little work the nail file could fill the phillips role  :) Another huge plus for me is the eyeglasses driver, which is very ergonomic and gives better control than the Vic corkscrew job (great little widget though it is).

If a 58mm is just too small, I'd say give it a try. If the 58 is WAY too small for you .... well, give it a try anyway  :D
Aren't those little Wengers larger than 58 mm?  I bought one of the Evo-grip 81's for my first aid kit, to have scissors and a sharp little blade, and it seemed bigger than 58 mm to me.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: July 03, 2012, 01:28:00 AM
65mm Paul  :tu:
Nestled nicely between the Rambler and the Executive  :D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:35 AM
65mm Paul  :tu:
Nestled nicely between the Rambler and the Executive  :D
Sounds great!  I'll definitely put on on my list!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:08 AM
The PTC is a SAK I have eyed for a while and have yet to get and it seems to be a nice size:tu:  The Director is also a SAK that I would like to get  :drool: (for a good price of course ;) :D ) I also use the end of the file on the Executive as a 2D Phillips and find that it works quite well on most screws as long as they aren't stuck to bad :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:35 AM
The PTC is a SAK I have eyed for a while and have yet to get and it seems to be a nice size:tu:  The Director is also a SAK that I would like to get  :drool: (for a good price of course ;) :D ) I also use the end of the file on the Executive as a 2D Phillips and find that it works quite well on most screws as long as they aren't stuck to bad :tu:

I got both the Director and stainless PTC from Felinevet's store ... worth keeping a look out as both pop up there from time to time  :tu:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: July 03, 2012, 08:16:37 PM
Well it has been 3 and a half years :ahhh and I am still carrying the same Vic Executive :o I have carried it almost everyone of those days as well :tu: I have used every tool in it numerous times and it has yet to let me down.  The scissors in it and the bigger (than the 58mm size) blade are both draws for me as I carry a multi that usually doesn't have scissors. Love the orange peeler it has peeled many a orange and other citrus fruits :D The file is great for fine detail work and I also use it as a finger nail file and it does a fine job (well for me at least) at that :cheers: It is a great knife and I would recommend it for anyone that is trying to decide on a SAK to carry  :tu:

Great Update!  Nice to get long term reports. 

Maybe with the relative success of the Mammoth Executive (would of been more had they quality control been better) with was a Vic USA idea, maybe Victorinox in Switzerland will come uo with something new for the 74mm range. 

These are great pocket SAKs I picked up a niceer vintage one last week or before off ebay for on $14.

One thing I noticed is that the nail cleaners on these vintage ones are the only SAK nailcleaner tips that work for me, the rest I consider junk, and I'm more likely to use any other tool on a SAK (other than the corkscrew) to clean my nails if needed.  But the old ones really have a proper cleaner on them.  They just don't make them like they use to when it comes to the nail cleaner tips.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: July 04, 2012, 05:19:57 AM
Well it has been 3 and a half years :ahhh and I am still carrying the same Vic Executive :o I have carried it almost everyone of those days as well :tu: I have used every tool in it numerous times and it has yet to let me down.  The scissors in it and the bigger (than the 58mm size) blade are both draws for me as I carry a multi that usually doesn't have scissors. Love the orange peeler it has peeled many a orange and other citrus fruits :D The file is great for fine detail work and I also use it as a finger nail file and it does a fine job (well for me at least) at that :cheers: It is a great knife and I would recommend it for anyone that is trying to decide on a SAK to carry  :tu:

Great Update!  Nice to get long term reports. 

Maybe with the relative success of the Mammoth Executive (would of been more had they quality control been better) with was a Vic USA idea, maybe Victorinox in Switzerland will come uo with something new for the 74mm range. 

These are great pocket SAKs I picked up a niceer vintage one last week or before off ebay for on $14.

One thing I noticed is that the nail cleaners on these vintage ones are the only SAK nailcleaner tips that work for me, the rest I consider junk, and I'm more likely to use any other tool on a SAK (other than the corkscrew) to clean my nails if needed.  But the old ones really have a proper cleaner on them.  They just don't make them like they use to when it comes to the nail cleaner tips.

I paid a very similar amount (as I recall) for mine as well :tu: Of the 3 that I have they are all the vintage ones and I did not think that the newer ones would be different :-\ So I had no idea that the file end was different thanks for that bit of info ICFT :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22:20 AM

I got both the Director and stainless PTC from Felinevet's store ... worth keeping a look out as both pop up there from time to time  :tu:

I definitely need 2 keep a look out for them there as Felinevet seems to be a standup guy and very responsive to PM IIRC :cheers:

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:37 PM

+1

I took a pic of the smooth tip.

And a few more. Not very good at taking pictures, but this little pocketknife is so sweet!
And very, very thin. Even more so then the stainless Director (my fav).

I still have to make a nice leather keyring pouch to protect the alox scales, so I can put it in my EDC rotation.  :)
foto2 (Large).JPG
* foto2 (Large).JPG (Filesize: 70.33 KB)
foto1 (Large).JPG
* foto1 (Large).JPG (Filesize: 90.31 KB)
foto3 (Large).JPG
* foto3 (Large).JPG (Filesize: 57.08 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 11:05:47 PM
 :drool: Love the pics Waterlander :cheers: If not for missing the toothpick and tweezers I would love to EDC 1 of those for sure and even without those it is a big temptation :D

england Offline macabee

Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:12 AM
I've managed to source a black executive :mail:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:16 PM
Tell us what u think of it when you have used it a bit :cheers:

Offline teacher58

Reply #73 on: July 15, 2012, 05:50:38 AM
Yes!  I saw my first executive in 1986 and bought it on the spot.  I had never seen a knife like.  I own three. A black one, a red one and one with stainless scales which is caled a director.  Wonderful little knives.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #74 on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:41 PM
Carried a Director a couple days - the steel is very slippery - abandoned my possession the first time I sat on the grass.
My EDC is a red Exec w/ pen sleeve.  Now to add a pin, or better a needle.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 02:06:26 PM
My EDC is a red Exec w/ pen sleeve.  Now to add a pin, or better a needle.

:tu:

Adding a needle I like to do as well. I'm a carpenter. It's very handy for removing splinters.
Did you have an idea where to put it? At the keyring-eyelet looks like a good spot?
And may I ask where did you put the pen?

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 06:36:41 PM
I hear you,  A blade gets to be a tad surgical when a splinter does not present its end above the surface of the skin, while a needle can pluck it out nicely.
I found that I could droop a smallish needle eye-first down the toothpick slot.  Too big a one will get stuck and require knocking out, or not allow the toothpick to go in with it. 
The pen sleeve is from the Modifications section of The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, which gives a life-size template.  It's made from a beer can.  The aluminum is so thin these days that you can cut it with SAK scissors.
pen exec.jpg
* pen exec.jpg (Filesize: 491.4 KB)
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:16 PM
Excellent, thanks for showing mate. I have to give this some more thought...
There's a small FAK with Swisscard in my wallet anyways. But it sure would be handy to have plus scales on an executive!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: November 10, 2013, 03:51:34 PM
Well here I am and in a few more months it will be 5 years :o yes that is right ppl I said 5 years with my Vic Executive :tu: Mind you though in the last year I did start using one of the newer shinier looking ones that I have and retired the other one ::) :D I carry the little booger to work everyday and alot on weekend and nightime carries :cheers: I do change it out more on weekends and of the night some for a different feel but I always go back to the Executive :sak: So my EDC is and has been since the Rebar came out. The Exec and a LM Rebar :multi: The 2 work very well together and I am happy with the combo, which is not different than the combo of my ST 300 and the Exec (just a whole lot lighter) ::) All in all I am very happy with the Exec. Owe and I do add occasionally a larger knife (SAK) with it if the MT I have doesn't have alot of tools as well, So almost 5 years and going strong :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: November 10, 2013, 03:54:57 PM
I did forget to put that the scissors are by far the most used tool on it with the file coming in at second :D Just love my Exec :D

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #80 on: November 10, 2013, 04:01:05 PM

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #81 on: November 10, 2013, 06:42:52 PM
I did forget to put that the scissors are by far the most used tool on it with the file coming in at second :D Just love my Exec :D

I love the file on the Executive. One of, if not the best nail file on any SAK. :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 01:42:34 AM

I love the file on the Executive. One of, if not the best nail file on any SAK. :cheers:

It also makes a very usable phillips head screwdriver on larger screw heads and even works great on smaller phillips head screws :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 01:59:51 AM
It also makes a very usable phillips head screwdriver on larger screw heads

And it has reach, which is woefully missing from the phillips even on many larger MTs like the Wave, Charge and Surge.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 02:30:43 AM
It also makes a very usable phillips head screwdriver on larger screw heads

And it has reach, which is woefully missing from the phillips even on many larger MTs like the Wave, Charge and Surge.
That is a very good point :tu: I had not thought of that but I do remember occasions where that has came in handy :cheers:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 02:42:56 AM
So many phillips screws, it seems, both large and small, are countersunk so deep that a stubby driver will not reach them.   Also screws like on door plates which are obstructed by a doorknob and require a reachy driver to get to them. 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 07:00:17 AM
You all are making me want to take my Executive off of the keychain and include it in my EDC lineup.  It was my first SAK.  Great scissors for whisker trimming, and a great nailfile.  I like the uniqueness of the orange peeler, and it's extra functionality with the little serrated blade and screwdriver.  It does seem a little knife heavy for such a small SAK though.  I don't really know what else could be included in place of the small blade, especially at that size. 
K-Tibbs

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 07:55:26 AM
... It does seem a little knife heavy for such a small SAK though.  I don't really know what else could be included in place of the small blade, especially at that size.

There are probably a few Minichamp tools that could be grafted into an Exec in place of the small blade.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #88 on: November 11, 2013, 06:22:20 PM
... It does seem a little knife heavy for such a small SAK though.  I don't really know what else could be included in place of the small blade, especially at that size.

There are probably a few Minichamp tools that could be grafted into an Exec in place of the small blade.

Oh that's a good point-I wonder what would work there?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:55 PM
I have two, but need another one.

One, someone here gave to me in need of help. I paid the $5 and sent it to Victorinox, they sent it to some guy to fix up. It came back looking good, but some idiot sharpened the scissors as if they were knife blades, so the scissors are ruined.

The other one has mammoth scales, but no T&T, and the one scale is cracked and kind of snags on things. I'm afraid it'll totally get cracked up if I use it.

They're $30 though, which is kind of expensive for what they are.

I think it's a good upgrade to a Classic if you don't have much use for the combo tool on the Rambler/Manager series. Two blades, bigger scissors, etc. A fun knife if you like to eat oranges. ;)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24