Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

02 and 05 swisstools

Dunc · 15 · 1886

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
02 and 05 swisstools
on: February 18, 2009, 07:48:56 PM
I've noticed that my Swisstools with later plier heads don't need the same force to close the handles as the earlier models . On my new 05 model one handle needs very little effort to get it started when closing , on the other hand I find they snap shut with more force then the earlier models  :think: Its not going to effect its use in any way but they just dont appear to be as smooth and consistent as say the 98 models . Any thoughts ?

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: 02 and 05 swisstools
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:54:44 PM
Not exactly on topic, but does the file slip on the newer models like it does on the 98 and catch the plier head?
I'm back!!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:23:40 PM
I have a 98 model and a 05 model. The former is harder to open and seems much snappier in general than the one with 05 head. The 05 one I have doese'nt behave the way yours does though, it's quite smooth just a lot easier to open than the earlier one. Just different I suppose.
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:32 PM
Not exactly on topic, but does the file slip on the newer models like it does on the 98 and catch the plier head?

Yes  :(  Some do some don't .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:39:54 PM
I have a 98 model and a 05 model. The former is harder to open and seems much snappier in general than the one with 05 head. The 05 one I have doese'nt behave the way yours does though, it's quite smooth just a lot easier to open than the earlier one. Just different I suppose.

The funny thing about swisstools is that no two behave exactly the same way and that includes the blades too.

Dunc

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:42 PM
It's not beside me right now but I believe I have an 02 plier head and I am quite pleased with the way it opens and closes :tu: I have not really ever held another SwissTool besides the one I own so I don't have another one to go by :( :D

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:41:12 PM
I have had at the 10 05 SwissTools go through my hands; and I have noticed a few things.. For the most part, the handles are easier to open and can be easily open one handed, the files on many of them bend outward (can be easily fixed by bending them the opposite way), the plier head pivot play is evident on almost all 05 SwissTool's I've handled (I have an 05 Standard that has NO plier head pivot play!  :o ), and lastly the button snaped Cordura sheaths are ALL different (in one way or another).. To my understanding there are three different variations. One of them has a horizontal carry option, the other says made in USA on the belt loop and sits LOW on belt, and the other rides higher on belt and feels more substanstial. All of these are the Cordura sheaths with the button snap..
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:53 PM
If there is any resistance at all when either opening or closing your SwissTools, they are very different from mine.

The pliers on both my previous '98 and my current brand new '05 are extremely loose. If you hold one handle, you can easily swing the pliers completely open and shut with a little shake. There is no snap when closing them, and no resistance when opening them.

My Spirit is almost the same, but there is a very, very slight amount of resistance. You can still swing the pliers open and shut with one hand though.

I don't really like the loose action of the plier pivots, but that is just a matter of preference.
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:02 AM
Nope, I haven't came across that TBH, I'd send them in! All's they do is replace the SwissTools, they don't repair them..
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:21:14 AM
But the '05 ST was sent to me by Vic's warranty department when I complained that my '98 was loose...  ???
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22:51 AM
So what, you paid for a quality product (all SwissTools are :) ) and you should be happy with what you have; so send them in! LOL
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:45 AM
I am confused now. When I first got my SwissTool and described the loose pliers, I thought you guys told me that all STs were like that. That's why I find this thread so confusing... :think:

I am sure I could send it back to Vic again, but I am not sure the replacement ST will be any different.

C'mon guys. Let me know once and for all whether SwissTools pliers are supposed to loose and floppy, or if they have a little resistance like LM pliers, etc.  :ahhh  :D
[

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 03:29:47 AM
FWIW , I have had three Swisstools and a Spirit , non e have been floppy , play has been minimal to nonexistent . Mine were 2002 and 2005 models .

Chris

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:45 AM
I am confused now. When I first got my SwissTool and described the loose pliers, I thought you guys told me that all STs were like that. That's why I find this thread so confusing... :think:

I am sure I could send it back to Vic again, but I am not sure the replacement ST will be any different.

C'mon guys. Let me know once and for all whether SwissTools pliers are supposed to loose and floppy, or if they have a little resistance like LM pliers, etc.  :ahhh  :D

Max I'm talking about the handles not the the plier pivot . The plier jaws swing open with no resistence and thats how they are ment to be , yours sound fine . I'm talking about the amount of pressure to start pivoting the handle closed .

Dunc

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 07:44:12 AM
Doh! I'll shut up now... :-[
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00