Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Awareness

Guest · 31 · 3282

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Swiss Awareness
on: February 18, 2009, 09:55:37 PM
Just wondering how all you  Swiss fans here came to appreciate these great tools? For me my first SAK was a Spartan which I got four years ago or so. At first I thought it was a bit of a joke and then the appreciation slowly grew as I realised the implements were actually useful and the blades were really sharp! After that it dawned on me that this little trinket was very well put together. I still love that knife and while the scales have dulled a bit it's still good as new despite having seen plenty of use.
I became aware of the Swiss MT's when I found this forum and lurked for ages just reading posts. Now I have a few examples of these I love 'em too for all the above reasons. I suppose this means I might be turning Swiss  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Swiss Awareness
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:08:37 PM
Well my first proper knife was a Mauser Officers 108mm which my Mum and Dan bought me for my 17th birthday :), and I've been Swiss ever since :)

I have tried all the major brands, but I always come back to the Swiss duo, so much so, that I carry nothing else day to day, as for me they can' be beat :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline cgjones

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:47 PM
My parents bought me a Tinker from Campmor in 1988. Over the years I've carried many different models from many different companies, but I always seem to gravitate back to Victorinox. Heck, I've even visited the factory.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:19 PM
Mine's kind of funny: The local hardware store has a small knife display towards the front. When I was younger, I would always go with my dad to said store to look at all the knives there. They actually didn't have that bad of a selection: there were a couple of SOGs, some Gerbers, a few Kershaws... A lot of Bucks... But they also had a whole section for Swiss Army knives (Victorinox). My dad and I would always laugh at the huge knife there (a Swisschamp) and we probably laughed at it every time we went there for several months. As Christmas came around, I found the Swisschamp in my stocking as a joke. I started fiddling with it, and then got in the habit of carrying it... The rest is, as they say, history.  8) :climber:

As I side note, I also didn't buy anything except for SAKs for quite a while until I first saw a Leatherman. I really liked the new (to me) style. So I got a Swisstool  :D :multi: which was my first plier-based multi-tool. I don't remember when it was I finally got another brand of multitool. I think it was a Wave that I found at a gun/knife show.
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:50:07 PM
I noticed how tough and useful they were with the Classic on my keychain. This was back in high school. My main EDC knife was a Buck 501 but I wanted scissors so I picked one up. When I joined the military I carried the original Leatherman, a big Gerber lockblade and the Classic. After I got out I got tired of EDCing the Leatherman. I carried it in my pocket and it was tearing up my jeans. I still wanted a lot of utility so I got me a SAK and it's been downhill since. That was 1993
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:59:06 PM
I think it was a Wave that I found at a gun/knife show.

I don't want to sound like a creeper or anything, but on your BO Charge ALX vid you said that was the tool you bought at the gun show!  :D
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:56 AM
I think it was a Wave that I found at a gun/knife show.

I don't want to sound like a creeper or anything, but on your BO Charge ALX vid you said that was the tool you bought at the gun show!  :D

:o

Run Joey run!!!!  :ahhh
I'm back!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:10:21 AM
I remember the first SAK I had it was a used Wenger Esquire.
(

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:50 AM
mi first one was a chinese knock off, then i realize it was just that when a friend of my gift me a mechanic....im in love since then :drool:
A

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:22 AM
My first SAK was a Camper that was bought on a vacation trip to NYC! It was bought at a knife store, not at the Vic store in the Soho district.. (who knows if the Vic store was even around then- it was probably 20 years ago!)
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:59 AM
For me, it was genetic.  My people trace roots back to Canton Zug as early as 1260.  My grandfather was in the Swiss Calvary in WWI.  He came to the US in 1921, aspiring to be a successful dairy farmer.   He was one of the founding farms for the Tillamook Cheese factory.

Gotta have that SAK pride.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:56 AM
@ Mr Whippy....some of my ancestors are Swiss too,they came from Graubunden,the last canton to join the Swiss Confederation.

My first SAK was something like 25 years ago,a Wenger that was a premium for joining a military history book club.
I

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:09:46 AM
An acquaintance gave me a knockoff a few years ago that sat in a drawer because it was totally useless.

I never got my first proper SAK until November 2008, when I picked up a pair of Economy Recruits on sale.

Used them for various things and wondered why I had never bought any SAKs before, especially considering the amount of camping/outdoors stuff my wife and I used to do.

I now have 7 SAKs and always looking for more.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:07 AM
Aside from the knockoff SAK I had as a kid, my first Victorinox knife was a Sportsman II I bought for $8 at a Walgreens.  I EDCed it for a while but soon after got into plier based tools.

I still EDC that Sportsman when I get home and "pack light" around the house.
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:57 AM
My first sak was the Swiss Tool X, then came a true sak for me a Vic Soldier and everything went down hill from there. I did have a knock off china made sak look alike, for which like others I found no use.
There was a time when I saw a friend of mine use tiny sak pliers (swisschamp) and almost laughed, my ST X seemed vastly superior to a tiny sak, but things have changed a bit (or a lot).  :cheers:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:18 PM
In 1980, I was 8 years old and had just joined the Cub Scouts.

Thumbing throught the JC Penny Christmas 1980 catalog, they had Victorinox SAK's for sale.  I still remember it as:
Champion, Huntsman, Spartan, Classic for sale....I think they had maybe 2 more, don't remember.  I, of course, wanted the biggest one, the Champion.  I showed it to my parents: "This is what I want".  Instead, I got a cheap knock-off with a cheap leather sheath.  Sheath fell apart in one day.  My dad made me a pouch sheath for it.

1986, I am 14 years old.  I got a GI pocket knife made by Queen I think (Blade is marked Q-1986).  Same tools as the Soldier.  Best friend got one, too.  I then had a neighbor who had an original Spartan (no toothpic or tweezers, cross emblem same as on the Soldier).  One scale was broken off.  I bought it for $10.  I sent it to Victorinox, they repaired it and sent it back (but, no toothpic or tweezers).  I gave it away later that year as a gift.

FINALLY, December 1986.  A classmate of mine that is 2 years older than me (he in 11th grade, me in 9th grade at the time) was selling knives to make some money.  He had the Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog.  He got me a Champion, and I paid $28.50, NIB, for it.  I FINALLY had the biggest one..........for one month.

January 1987, I spied the Swiss Champ in Soldier of Fortune magazine in a Cutlery Shop ad.  I was NOT happy!!!!  I got one of those in 1988, SOS pouch a year later (both Christmas gifts).  Rest is history!!

That DEC 1986 Champion I got?  Stolen in Alaska in DEC 1995.....BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  I was P/O'ed!!!  I found one and replaced the Champion with a used one at a Gunshow a few months later....at $45, USED!!!  Didn't matter.  I had it back.  USed it up to when I went to Iraq in 2003 with 3ID.  Retired it as it is now a war rellic.  Not to worry, I have another one I bought used in Korea for $30 at a pawn shop last year, and a NIB pre-1987 Champion Victorinox sent instead of my wife's Deluxe Tinker I sent in for scale replacement (she melted, then broke a large chunk out of a scale).  I got her an EVO-16 Wenger for replacement.

Don't even ask how many SAK's I have....Lots at home, and have purchased NLT 15 for myself here in Korea at that Vic shop in the market or from SMKW.

My best scores are the rare ones:

- pre-1987 Craftsman (see 1985 catalog) bought in Alaska in 1996 as a replacement for the lost Champion....I put it away when I found another Champion as discussed above.  However: 1. has hole in awl  2. has bottle opener that locks halfway  Both of these are post 1987 options.....Interesting.

- Deluxe Angler I found here in Korea.  Same as Angler (regular tools, plus pliers and corkscrew) but with scissors

- Swiss Flame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  need I say more?!?!?!?!?!

Of course, the BIGGEST score is the Korean Vic store, see pics in the other threads.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:06:07 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 02:47:24 PM
My Dad was always keen that my Brother and I had a pocket knife form about the age of 6-7.  I got a SAK-a-like when I joined the Scouts aged 11.  I'm sure it wasn't a real SAK but it wasn't bad either (or else my Dad wouldn't have got it for me). 
Many years went by that I didn't carry a knife until I got given a Supertool as a leaving present, I started carrying that thing all the time.  A few years back I  became more aware of UK knife laws, as I had also been carrying a lock knife along with the Supertool it seemed like a good idea to get a slippie. 
I was in a camping shop buying something else when I looked over at the Vic display cabinet.  I thought "why not" and picked up the cheapest one they had, a Waiter.  So much easier to look after and less scary than the Spyderco Delica I had been carrying.  I had that for a little while and though I'd like something a little bigger and got a Climber, then I fancied one with a saw so I got a Huntsman.  A bit over a year ago I had picked up a Pioneer and then later an older Compact, then I found SOSAK and it's all gone down hill from there.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:50:32 PM
So...

From this, I guess we can conclude that Leatherman's are the Gateway drug to SAK addiction.

:D

us Offline bren10man

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:59:02 PM
So...

From this, I guess we can conclude that Leatherman's are the Gateway drug to SAK addiction.

:D

Not for me.

I saw too many broken Leathermans in my time to want one.  I have 1 original Gerbaer multitool (has punch in lieu of scissors, so the 2nd version from 1992-93), haven't used it in years (replaced by SOG powerplier). 

I owned SAK's LONG before multipliers became fashionable in the early 1990's.

Now, I have a SwissTool I bought at the PX for $30 new in clamshell.  I still use the SOG Powerplier EOD tool I carried in Iraq.
MOLON LABE!

Offline tanker

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:13:11 PM
first vic, I thought Huntsman but it was actually a Fisherman (man I know nothing about vics) saw a pic in the catalog with the fish stamped and remembered that was the one I carried first. I don´t remember why I bought that one because I´ve never went to fishing :think: then I got it stolen.

2nd vic ecoCamper, birthday present.

3rd vic and all the rest after I discovered MT.org: Huntsman lite :tu:, blue CyberTool 34, Soldier, GAK..........
T

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:53 PM
I got my first SAK in 1988, it was a Vic Swisschampion with expedition set. Since then, i've got (and lost) so many SAK's, that i can't remember all of them.

Carlos
(

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 04:59:43 PM
Bren10man. I LOVE your avatar. I served in the 3rd Infantry Division in Germany in 1991-1992.

ROCK OF THE MARNE!!!!!!! HOOAH!!!!!
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

us Offline bren10man

Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 05:18:28 PM
Bren10man. I LOVE your avatar. I served in the 3rd Infantry Division in Germany in 1991-1992.

ROCK OF THE MARNE!!!!!!! HOOAH!!!!!

It is now the Rock of the Marne...Tigris and Euphrates.

I personallly contributed to the latest addition!!!  I had a blast....literally and figuratively.  Nothing, not even marriage and the birth of two kids (and the 2nd one 10 days ago) will compare to the time I spent from 21 MAR to 17 JUN 03 while in Iraq.  Nothing.

The Dog Face Soldier Song (yes, THIS is from memory!!):

I wouldn't give a bean, to be a fancy pants Marine..
I would rather be a dog face soldier like I am.
I wouldn't trade my old O.D.'s for all the Navy's dungarees..
For I'm the walking pride of Uncle Sam.
On Army posters that I read it says: "Be all that you can.."
So they're tearing me down to build me over again.
I'm just a dog face soldier, with a rifle on my shoulder.
I eat raw meat for breakfast ev'ry day.
So feed me ammunition, keep me 3rd Division..
Your dog face soldier is a-oh-kay!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:23:16 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:53 PM
I was in during the 1st Gulf War. 1/2 of my unit went and the other half(which I was a part of) were literally sitting around in combat gear waiting for the call. Thankfully it was over quick so we didn't have to go. Although they sent us to Hohenfels Germany during one of the coldest winters since the Battle of the Bulge.

The guys that went to the Gulf never saw much while we were freezing our butts off. We had a higher casualty rating than they did because of frostbite and injuries. LOL I shattered my ankle while there and that eventually caused me to be medically discharged.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 11:32:47 PM
I had a knock-off SAK when I was eight or nine that I got from a newspaper advert because I was impressed with the number of blades - it wasn't althat bad. I went on to get the genuine article years later and for a long time I was perfectly happy with just the one Spartan. Then I found this place! :D :D

Prone to daydreaming.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 03:33:43 AM
I got a Ranger in Switzerland back about 1964 . SAK's have always been part of my toolkit since then , more prominent now than before . The value/performance/versatility/ price ratio speaks for itself .

Chris

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 03:49:22 AM
When I was growing up in Ukraine, my grandfather owned what I think was a Champion. I was only allowed near it under strict supervision. So, when I emigrated to Canada, I had to get a SAK of my own, so one of my first purchases in the country was a Vic. Mechanic, for which I paid a full MSRP at some gift/enngraving place at the mall.
-------
Alexei

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 04:06:14 AM
My first SAK was actually a Wenger  :-[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:22 AM
My first SAK was actually a Wenger  :-[

What's wrong with that?  :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 07:24:04 AM
What's wrong with that?

It's like your first time being a robust woman with a hint of lip hair.

Sure you love her at the time, but down the track you wish she was something worth bragging about.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%