Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WOW!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
WOW!
on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:43 AM
Today, I went to the White Mountain area in NH with my Fiance. We went to a few camping hiking stores and I couldn't believe how pricey the LM's were!  :o I was completely shocked.. There is this store called Lahout's and their LM prices were crazy! They wanted like $160 for a TTi, $145 for an ALX, $110 for a SURGE, $95 for a Wave, $85 for a Blast, $110 for a Juice XE6, Skeletool for $75, and a few others for ridiculous prices! I thought that I was in the UK for a bit!  :D It's really mind boggling how much cheaper it is to buy multis online! LOL

Another thing they had that was extremely expensive was their Ultimate Survival Strike Force firesteel it was $35 bucks!  :o
B

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: WOW!
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:20 AM
Today, I went to the White Mountain area in NH with my Fiance. We went to a few camping hiking stores and I couldn't believe how pricey the LM's were!  :o I was completely shocked.. There is this store called Lahout's and their LM prices were crazy! They wanted like $160 for a TTi, $145 for an ALX, $110 for a SURGE, $95 for a Wave, $85 for a Blast, $110 for a Juice XE6, Skeletool for $75, and a few others for ridiculous prices! I thought that I was in the UK for a bit!  :D It's really mind boggling how much cheaper it is to buy multis online! LOL

Another thing they had that was extremely expensive was their Ultimate Survival Strike Force firesteel it was $35 bucks!  :o

Woah pricey

Makes me respect online shopping a lot more :)
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:50:36 AM
I notice some stores are out of their minds with stuff like that...they don't even try to be competitive ::)

[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:53:33 AM
LOL! What was even more funny was when I went to another hiking/outdoor store and I asked the owner if he sold any North Face items... He responded by saying I don't sell high priced junk.. Then he went on rambling for no less than 5 minutes talking about how North Face doesn't make anything and how it's owned by a feminine magazine (Vanity Fair).. Anyways, his tool prices were the same terrible pricing.. His SAKs were extremely high too!  :-\
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:55:44 AM by Leatherman123 »
B

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:54:54 AM
Yeah I got a shock as well at one of our local fishing outlets and they were $185 for a Charge.  Crazy!  But one good thing came out of it and I spied a Brand New Sog Toolclip and snapped it up.  

sean

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:59:46 AM
For technical gear, nobody buys TNF anymore (at least in the climbing/mountaineering world).  Their 4 season tents are tough but extremely heavy by today's standards.

Marmot, Patagonia, Wild Things, Feathered Friends, etc are far more advanced in outer gear.

Most outdoor stores are used to making $$ off rich city folk and generally list stuff at full MSRP until a new model comes out to replace the old.

Just a different business model.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:32 AM
I wear a lot of outdoor oriented clothing and I find that Mountain Hardwear clothing is pretty overlooked as well.. I have a few shells from them and they are superb!
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:11:30 AM
Yup.  Mountain Hardware is another excellent company.  I haven't found any on sale, so I don't have much, but my daughter has some awesome MH gear including a polar fleece softshell jacket and excellent gaiters.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:06:40 AM
Ebay is the way to go if you have the patience to out bid the previous person.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:32:48 AM
I find TNF items a lot cheaper sold through other outdoor stores like EMS and REI (MEC in Canada I belive), and the store brand items are usually of very high quality at half the cost at times (especially on clearance).  :cheers:

p.s. TNF packs are very high quality, at least it was this way when I bought mine.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 04:34:18 AM
I like TNF jackets the most.. I have 5 of them, LOL
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:43:03 AM
I find TNF items a lot cheaper sold through other outdoor stores like EMS and REI (MEC in Canada I belive), and the store brand items are usually of very high quality at half the cost at times (especially on clearance).  :cheers:

p.s. TNF packs are very high quality, at least it was this way when I bought mine.

TNF packs were fine 15-20 years ago.  Still nicely made, but design has changed dramatically.  Pack weights are down, and suspension systems have markedly changed.

Wild Things, Cold Cold World packs, some Gregory packs,  Mystery Ranch (Dana of Dana Designs new company), and small companies like Cilogear are making unbelieveable lightweight, tough, easy to carry packs.

TNF sold out to college fashion tastes a while back.  I have heard they're bringing out a "professional series" to compete with cutting edge equipment.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:59:49 AM
I noticed Les Stroud wears Columbia stuff...what's the general consensus on that brand?

I'm a Hanes pocket t shirt and jeans kind of guy, so I'm not up on all this "gear" :D
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:13:38 AM
I noticed Les Stroud wears Columbia stuff...what's the general consensus on that brand?

I'm a Hanes pocket t shirt and jeans kind of guy, so I'm not up on all this "gear" :D

He used to wear a lot of MEC gear, in the past at least.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:16:20 AM
Columbia's every bit as good IMO.. I own more Columbia stuff than anything, mainly because everythig is so cheap at Columbia outlets. Their Titanium series line is excellent!
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 07:50:31 PM
I use a pair of Columbia waterproof pants for ice climbing now.  Dumped my old TNF.  I have hated those TNF pants since day one--the zipper pockets jam all the F'n time.  The TNF will become barn pants now.

The Columbia pants are fantastic.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 08:01:23 PM

That's still cheaper than Norway.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 04:07:13 AM

That's still cheaper than Norway.

:ahhh Man that's just too expensive :o

How do you afford anything over there Medic ???

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 07:45:35 PM
It's sadly the same here.
I'm back!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:56 PM
Tell you what:

You guys plan on vacationing here in the Maryland area, and you can crash here at the farm.  We'll go shoot handguns in the back field and you can buy cheap multitools.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 10:34:42 PM
And it's even worse down here...  >:(  Plus, you'd better not have any warranty claims with the local reps, or else...  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%