Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Swisstool Spirit

Kurzon · 13 · 4516

Offline Kurzon

Modding a Swisstool Spirit
on: March 19, 2007, 11:08:31 PM
I want to modify my Swisstool spirit such that I can open the knife blade with one hand.  On this thread someone did so by adding a thumb stud near the base of the blade.  I'd like to do something similar, except I don't work in a machine shop.  Where should I ask around for someone who can do this sort of modification (I live in Brussels, if that helps)?  Knife shops?  Locksmiths?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Modding a Swisstool Spirit
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:32:30 PM
I would very likely go with a machine shop. I am sure you can get someone to drill a hole safely.(not ruining the heat treatment) for a six pack.It should only take 5 mins. Most likely take more time to set up the press and the knife jig to do it than to  drill,
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:37:21 PM
That's actually a photoshop job, and I am pretty certain that it could be done with a drill press and Dremel Tool if one was so inclined.

However, keep in mind that the placement of the blade on a Spirit means that you will probably only be able to open it left handed.  Either that or you will have to drill out the pins and re-arrange the tools, which would be a major pain in the bum.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:44:56 PM
Looking at the Juice I just got (thanks DEF) I just might try to do one this weekend. I guess I can order a thumbstud and drill it out to see if it will work. Then just mill out the side of the alum scale.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:54 PM
I am looking forward to hearing how that goes for you.  I was always going to do that with that one!  Now I am looking at some of the other Juice models I have...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:56:01 PM
Yah I just was looking at one sided studs and I do think I will drill this weekend, I will post picks and a drilling guide for it. I will most likely have to drill several holes in a old S2 so I can get the mechanics right on it. I dont think the stud will be too far forward.

I will also add how how to easily do it without killing temper. It will be a simple jig with a clay dam and Marvels mystery oil.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:06:33 AM
I'd be happy to see that too- that (and a healthy dose of laziness!) was the biggest reason why I didn't do it...

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 12:17:31 AM
http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm

This it the stud I will use. At the bottom.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:22:49 AM
Well, you have me beat- I just use the thumbstuds off cheap knives that I have gotten as part of packages on eBay, throw ins with trades etc.  They aren't really high quality or anything, but they are thumbstuds, and how high quality a thumbstud does one need? :P

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:26:16 AM
Y know you are right. I have the perfect doner knife here. I will have to play this weekend.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 12:28:11 AM
Glad I could help!

Def

Offline Kurzon

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:12 AM
Obviously I want a machine shop, but I don't know any in Brussels, let alone one where I could commission this job.  That's why I'm asking how and where I should conduct my inquiries.  Should I ask a locksmith about anyone who can mod knives?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:24:13 AM
I guess that really depends.  Like I said, if you are careful and reasonably well inclined you should be able to do it yourself.  A drill press would make the job easier and a dremel tool would make short work of the side plate.  That is if you are a lefty, or don't mind opening the blade left haned.

If you want to re-arrange the tools, I would suggest contacting someone with experience in disassembling SAKs and/or multis and commisioning them to do the job for you.  SwissBianco, who has a forum here, and Rotokid (www.rotokid.sosakonline.com) are two gentlemen who I could suggest talking to for help.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%