Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crossbreeding?

us Offline Splat

Crossbreeding?
on: March 20, 2007, 06:09:26 PM
Anyone ever try switching tools from one brand multi to another? I love a few of my Core's tools and was just looking at SOG's Power Assist. I wonder if a grinder and some patience could obtain a Frankenstein multi. Anyone?
Splat

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Crossbreeding?
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:17:01 PM
I have a black oxide SOG PowerLock plier head with integrated crimper that I was just looking at and wondering what to do with...

But this should also be in the Mod Forum, so I'll move it down there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:56:02 PM
Def, I forgot about the Mods forum, sorry.

I hate to say it but with a welder and a few stainless multis I can't see why you couldn't take differing brands and get a nice Franken-multi.   :)  I know, I know, not everyone does welding here but for those of us that do I'm surprised it's not been discussed before. Oh boy.... maybe I'm treading down a dangerous path.  >:D
Splat

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:15:17 AM
I have tried cross-breeding many different types of multitools.  Is it possible without "major surgery"...oh sure.  A little filing here, a little bend there...it can work.  But unfortunately, the result is rarely as good as the end product was in my mind.  The major problem I have had is that there is no standardization between manufacturers...so the implements and other parts are different thicknesses, lengths, use vastly different locking mechanisms, etc ad nauseum.   Within the same brand, i.e. LM to LM or Gerber to Gerber...a lot of tool swapping is very possible with very little effort.   You would have to do some pretty fancy welding and you'd have to be VERY careful not to ruin the  temper of the hardened parts, lest they become "soft" later.   Just my experience, YMMV.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%