Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge saws

J-sews · 197 · 31414

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Charge saws
Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 01:54:44 AM
I don't usually join in with Leatherman's giveaways, or anyone else's really.  I would hate for anyone to think any manufacturer was officially endorsing a bunch of yahoos like us, and you know how rumors get started....

Anyways, yes, we are working on them, and as soon as I have anything to report, I will report it.  Until then, I've not got a lot to say about it unfortunately.  We are at the same impasse we have been at for a while on them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:12 AM
I went an snipped that remark like a

Was a bad smurf, I edited out that thing and changed message slightly more to what I was referring to. I know, am in the doghouse for doing that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:37:24 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 02:18:22 AM
No problem- I just like to take the opportunity every now and then to remind everyone that we are an independent organization, and because of that I don't enter contests because you never know how the masses may interpret something, regardless of how above board it may be.  :D

As for re-posting our videos, pictures etc, well, they are out there on the Web, so by all means, use them wherever you like. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

End Damage?
Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 07:29:59 AM
Say, you experts over here making and using saw attachments, have to ask: Have you ever damaged the end of your Charge/Wave/Surge by using a saw blade there?

I'm staring at the metal and looks to me the blade metal would break way before damaging the Leatherman, and that bolt that holds the drivers in is solid - never seen nor heard of anyone breaking that.
There's some debate over on the Leatherman FB page that a few are thinking making an attachment there is going to damage the tool and void the warranty.
 :rofl:

Myself I would think extending the tabs just a bit longer would cause less wobble/slop, but that's just a minor observation.

Heard y'all say that Leatherman's developers were looking at them saw attachments. Did they ever comment anything about them, or anything negative?  Did Leatherman make any official post saying that by using the saws or any attachment there past their accessories woudl void the warranty?
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: November 17, 2010, 10:10:08 PM
Don't know about the warranty part :think: but my saw blade locks in very tight and allows for hardly any play at all so it doesn't seem to be affecting my Wave at all :tu:

Reply #125 on: November 18, 2010, 07:45:45 AM
Couple of us have noticed a lot more play in the pocket clip and lanyard attachment on the Surge. Would that also affect using saws on the Surge, if someone wanted to go that way to avoid blade exchanger issues?

Seems the blade exchanger is a bit too thick and people have had to cut the end of a t-base off to use as a shim in order to use that as a saw attachment. Unsure of the Super Tool 300 EOD has the same issue with its blade exchanger or not. Anyone have one yet?

Wonder if by extending the tabs down another half of an inch, would that provide better stability on Surge ends?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #126 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:00 AM
2nd try on a Charge saw. The 1st one wobbled too much and wasn't staying engaged. This second version was more tighter and held in better in use.

Extended the bottom tab in further which kept the blade from wobbling so much during use. Also, this design also works well with the Surge, barely any wobble up and down.
Anyone have a close-up shot of theirs to compare with?

Still need to shorten it to fit in the sheath for EDC.

&
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:56:47 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #127 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:38 AM
Now that is a SAW  8) 8) 8).

Top stuff X  :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Reply #128 on: December 12, 2010, 08:27:44 PM
Hoping it warms up just a tad more. Studied the thread in a more relaxed mode, and seems maybe keeping the saw blade the way J-Sews did is would be better in that the closed handle supports the saw blade from wobble.

Need to shorten this Sawsall blade anyhow (so it can fit in the sheath for EDC) and have enough Dremel sanding drums to work that shoulder curve.

Wished I could get a set, or a few, from J-Sews.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #129 on: December 12, 2010, 10:09:49 PM
Hoping it warms up just a tad more. Studied the thread in a more relaxed mode, and seems maybe keeping the saw blade the way J-Sews did is would be better in that the closed handle supports the saw blade from wobble.

Need to shorten this Sawsall blade anyhow (so it can fit in the sheath for EDC) and have enough Dremel sanding drums to work that shoulder curve.

Wished I could get a set, or a few, from J-Sews:D

The guy can be a real scrooge, but I'll talk to him and see what he says. ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #130 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:09 PM
J-sews may seem like a scrouge but on the inside he is a softy.:)

us Offline AncientMatingCalls

Reply #131 on: December 12, 2010, 11:18:12 PM
I'll have a charge coming this week and I can't wait. J, any chance of any more saws being produced? It seems like a tremendous addition to the tool.
The Five Ws

Water
Wood
Weather
Wildlife
Widow-makers

Reply #132 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:56 AM
The fiberglass wheel took a beating this morning and dern if I didn't muck it up. Now have a 3 incher sawsall, and it fit great - till I cleaned up the sharp edges. Slight amount of play, nothing major. Perhaps seeing someone else's work will give me a clue.

The very first one I did was the best, yet it was 2 inches too long. Should of just cut the other end off.  :cry:

Think the problem I'm having (besides adequate lighting) is the shoulder where the blade slides under the ruler edge, that L can't get square enough and that's the wobble.
Should of done like I did last week, left this tab longer - keeping it squared & uniform.
PC120005.JPG
* PC120005.JPG (Filesize: 75.05 KB)
PC120006.JPG
* PC120006.JPG (Filesize: 59.79 KB)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:38:35 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: December 13, 2010, 01:00:47 AM
I'll have a charge coming this week and I can't wait. J, any chance of any more saws being produced? It seems like a tremendous addition to the tool.

Yup, I'll be making more soon  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #134 on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:45 AM

Yup, I'll be making more soon  :)

!! YIPEE !!
/grovels before the Master
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:04:53 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline AncientMatingCalls

Reply #135 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:10 AM
Now I'm even more excited to get my Charge.

You sir, are a very generous man J.
The Five Ws

Water
Wood
Weather
Wildlife
Widow-makers

Reply #136 on: December 19, 2010, 06:34:49 AM
BOB! WOW!! Just got your saw in today and it fits like a glove. I bow to your skill superiority!
jsews_csaw.jpg
* jsews_csaw.jpg (Filesize: 100.16 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #137 on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:56 AM
I made the one in my avatar a few days ago.  $2 saw blade + dremel + cutting wheel + chainsaw sharpener = cheap and cheerful fun.  Works pretty well, too.  The solid side panels on the Charge might be sturdier in the long run than my Wave, though.

How did you use the Chainsaw Sharpener to cut yours, SlackOne?
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: December 19, 2010, 05:12:35 PM
BOB! WOW!! Just got your saw in today and it fits like a glove. I bow to your skill superiority! (Image removed from quote.)

Glad it arrived safely James! :)

Now go try it out on something! :pok: :D

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #139 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:56 PM
Can't believe I didn't find this thread ealier... going to have to dig out the dremel.

bg Offline kiak

Reply #140 on: December 24, 2010, 03:52:30 AM
J-sews, how can I get one of these saws, to give it a try on a Wave?
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #141 on: December 24, 2010, 03:58:14 AM
J-sews, how can I get one of these saws, to give it a try on a Wave?

I've none left right now, but I'll be making some more of them soon. :)

bg Offline kiak

Reply #142 on: December 24, 2010, 06:30:54 AM
I'll pationlly wait.  :tu:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #143 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:36 AM
I made the one in my avatar a few days ago.  $2 saw blade + dremel + cutting wheel + chainsaw sharpener = cheap and cheerful fun.  Works pretty well, too.  The solid side panels on the Charge might be sturdier in the long run than my Wave, though.

The chainsaw sharpener was one of the Dremel grinding bits I had on hand...long and thin to get into the teeth of chainsaw blades.  It just happened to also be an elegant shape to do clean up on the cuts I did with the cutting wheel.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

gb Offline samo400

Reply #144 on: December 26, 2010, 06:04:50 PM
Getting a Surge in the new year would be happy to test it out for you :)
am always dithering about with knives cutting away unwanted things.

Leatherman Surge Black Tactical
Leatherman Wave
Swiss Army Cadet

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #145 on: December 27, 2010, 08:07:42 AM
Bad news:
The saw blade idea will NOT work in my Surge.  :( It has a little cast rounded D-shape component at the end of the handle, which is only held in place with the one screw. During sawing motion, the Sawzall blade overpowers this one screw and flops around uncontrollably.

I beg to differ. I am working on a solution for the moving clip for the Surge and I will send you the particulars soon. I believe it can be done. If I am wrong I will admit in this forum.

Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

Reply #146 on: December 31, 2010, 06:30:16 AM
J-Sews

The blade works GREAT! Used it to cut a few knobs of metal, and even some wood. Marred up the paint so stripped it off, polished it up, and now EDCing it in the leather Charge sheath. Soon as I get over this bug am going to get some carbon sawsall and keyhole blades to hopefully whittle out to fit.

Soon as I got time to do something I got held hostage by an alien virus. Knew I should of gotten that flu shot this year...  :cry:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #147 on: December 31, 2010, 06:35:11 AM

The chainsaw sharpener was one of the Dremel grinding bits I had on hand...long and thin to get into the teeth of chainsaw blades.  It just happened to also be an elegant shape to do clean up on the cuts I did with the cutting wheel.

Seen a tungsten carbide one for $14, almost got it. Need to get some more fiberglass cut-off wheels too.

<3 your blue blade. Wonder if I can find one in red?   >:D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #148 on: December 31, 2010, 01:45:14 PM
J-Sews

The blade works GREAT! Used it to cut a few knobs of metal, and even some wood. Marred up the paint so stripped it off, polished it up, and now EDCing it in the leather Charge sheath. Soon as I get over this bug am going to get some carbon sawsall and keyhole blades to hopefully whittle out to fit.

Soon as I got time to do something I got held hostage by an alien virus. Knew I should of gotten that flu shot this year...  :cry:

Good to hear its working out for you! :)  (hope you're feeling better soon too) :-\

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: January 01, 2011, 01:49:50 AM
Love this thread!  Way to go Bob!

The original idea for this seems truely inspired, but it's nice to read how it came about from just a regular multitool user's needs. 

Something like this could make one buy the tool just to test this great idea and to see how many more 'attachments' one could make.  With the saw blade being so thin and fitting in the pouch, they are a true classic.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%