Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge saws

J-sews · 197 · 31415

Offline ac5

Re: Charge saws
Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 02:53:53 AM
Thanks a lot J-sews!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:35 AM
No I used the T-shank wood blade for the Surge. I was just compairing the handling of the Surge to the Charge with your blade.  Believe it or not I ran out of metal things to cut around the house. It sure would be nice to have an extra long wood saw for my beloved charge though ;)

I see from the picture you posted elsewhere that you have one of the first batch of metal-saws I made, which were almost 4-1/2" long. Initial feedback I got said that the blades should be shorter, to fit in the sheath better. So, I made the second batch of blades 4" long.

How long do you think a wood-saw blade should be?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 02:39:39 AM
I think that the charge and wave already have good wood saw blades. I just thought it wood be cool to have a longer one for it also. But I see the practical reasons for making the blades short enough to fit in the sheaths.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 02:51:52 AM
Y'know, it seems like everything in life is a trade-off. I guess saw blades are no exception.

If you go back to the picture at the very beginning of this thread, you'll see a 4-1/2" long wood saw blade. It's the only one I've made so far. I sent it off to Def over a week ago, but I haven't heard that he's received it yet. (I hope it's not hung up in customs or something.  :-[)

Anyhow, let me know what you think about length and teeth-per-inch on a wood saw, and I'll whip one up next batch.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 03:14:49 AM
4-1/2 is may be long enough. Any longer may be overkill on a 4" long tool.
"

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:37 AM
Everything usually takes about a week to come from or go to the US from here.  Plus, my mail carrier likes to skip my small street on Fridays so she can go and get drunk sooner.  It was probably supposed to be here today, but I likely won't see it till Monday... assuming she doesn't skip my street again because she's hung over.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ice Tigre

Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 01:01:50 PM
OK, I promissed I'd come back and let ya know how it works; GREAT!

I got the blade yesturday, and it works! Locks in solidly, and stays put. I cut about an inch into 3/32" 1095 (non-hardened) blade steel with it with no problems with it moving in the tool.  :) :)

The lenth is good, although about an 1/8" storter might be better, as it has a tendancy of sticking me in the finger when I draw the tool. (With it in the "pocket" behind the tool in the nylon sheath.)  But it might be harder to get out, if it was shorter. So its something for personal preference, as I see it. 

The TPI is nice, and it works for steel, and I tried it on some brass too. But I generaly like more agressive, like, say 18 TPI. But I don't know how easy it would be to use in that short of a stroke. Again, something up to preference.

The important point is, that it works in the new Wave.

I picked up a 12" 18 TPI "bi-metal with cobalt"  blade...... I'm going to try cutting a couple from it, now that I have the one for a pattern. One of those carbie grit blades(Remgrit) might be nice to try too.

Thanks again for sending it! its a realy nice adition to my EDC.

Gary

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 02:50:08 PM
I'm glad it's working for you Ice Tigre. Let us know how the 18 tpi blade works, as I have not tried any of those yet.

Regarding the Rem-grit blade, I've only made one of those. (See picture at beginning of this thread.) I sent it off to Def for testing without trying it myself. I'm hoping his mail carrier recovers from her hangover on Monday morning and delivers it to the right address!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 07:42:49 PM
I do manage to get mail some Mondays... I wish I had the kind of job where I could only do what I feel like doing and have the union insist on regular and frequent pay raises...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ac5

Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 07:34:18 PM
Thanks J-sews just received the saw cant wait to try it.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #40 on: October 01, 2006, 04:33:14 AM
Just found this topic and those saw attachments look awesome.  I sent you a PM J-Sews seeking a blade or two..that is if I did it right :)  You are dealing with a newbie here on forums.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 01, 2006, 04:43:43 AM
Greetings Cacherx4, it's always good to hear from a fellow Michigander!   :)

(reply sent)

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 10:56:52 PM
I received my blade in the mail today and went right outside to try it out.  First impressions were good, it fit snuggly into the lanyard ring/belt clip receptacle with no wobble.  I tried to cut some metal fencing about 2" diameter but found it difficult due to the short blade size.  This really isn't an issue to me since this type of tool isn't meant to do that IMO!! Next I cut some rusty nails off the garden fence posts...worked GREAT, I also used it to cut some aluminum flashing that was hanging out of my side porch step, I found out on the front porch step it was easier to just score it with my knife and bend it apart than use a sawzall balde :-\   My mistake.  Then it was into the garage to cut a 60D galvanized nail in the vise just because I could ;D  went thru like a hot knife thru butter once again with no blade wobble.This is definetly a great add-on and I am glad J-Sews has so generously offered some to try out. Thanks alot!!!
Jim

* ChargeTi.jpg (Filesize: 89.37 KB)

* ChargeTi Cut.jpg (Filesize: 75.6 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 03:45:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jim!

UPDATE:
So far I've sent blades out to 12 different members, with good results. It appears clear now that the saws work well in New Wave models, so I guess I should have titled this thread "Wave/Charge Saws." The first ones sent out measured from 4-1/4" to 4-1/2" long, but feedback I got suggested a shorter length to keep the blade ends from sticking out of the sheath while carried. Second batch of blades onward have been 4" long. All of the blades sent out before this week have been fine-cut 24 teeth-per-inch. Cacherx4 got a medium-cut 18 tpi, which sounds like it worked well for him. Contact me if you'd like to try one of these.

In addition to those sent to MT.org members, I sent one sample blade to Leatherman Tool Group per their request. It was received last week, and is "being evaluated by their design engineers." I'll keep you folks advised when I hear more.

~Bob

Offline ac5

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2006, 12:54:38 AM
J-sews finally got a chance to put it on my Charge. A miniscule wobble side to side due to the thickness of the saw, however; up and down is perfectly solid, an excellent design on your part. It's part of my animal rescue gear now I'm not going to waste it on ordinary chores so I'll let you know how it performs on the next rescue I need it. Thanks again.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: November 11, 2006, 01:32:57 AM
Thanks to CacherX4, I've got a couple more of these to give away. They are the Piranha 18 tpi blades that were pictured a bit earlier in this thread. Thanks Jim!

Anybody interested?

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #46 on: November 11, 2006, 01:39:26 AM
Oh, Oh, can I get one :)  LOL  No problem, thank YOU!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: May 19, 2007, 01:02:17 PM
I made up another batch of these yesterday. Lenox brand, 18 teeth per inch. Anybody want one that missed out earlier?
saws 004.JPG
* saws 004.JPG (Filesize: 51.67 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: May 19, 2007, 01:19:20 PM
Those are pretty cool!  One of these days I am going to have to get a Charge to try them out!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: May 19, 2007, 03:25:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Flash!

Always nice to have a Blue Liner here!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #50 on: May 19, 2007, 03:55:43 PM
What a cool idea!

to bad i,ll have to get a charge first!

more money ::) :grin:

could you do something similar for any of the swisstools?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: May 19, 2007, 04:12:04 PM
The reason why this can be done so relatively easily for the LM charge is that the tool has a slot to fit in the removable lanyard, pocket clip. Bob has altered the saw ends to be able to clip into that slot.

Very clever, and very useful indeed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:32:29 PM by Raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: May 19, 2007, 06:33:40 PM
PM sent Flash, check your messages.

...and welcome!  :)

Offline bingobadgo

• New User
Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 08:10:14 AM
Hello all, its my first post so i just want to say what a great forum, looks like i will learn a lot here. I got linked to this thread by j-sews on knife forums after i posted about having seen this mod somewhere but not being able to find it. Are you still able to make these mate? If so i would like several, i can paypal or bank transfer you the costs and postage.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: October 08, 2007, 04:45:21 PM
I don't know if he's still making them or not- it was kind of a fun thing to see if it worked as far as I remembered.  I believe Leatherman was looking at these for possible production, but we haven't heard anything lately about that.

If he can't help you, let me know and I'll send you one that he sent me for evaluation initially.

Welcome to Multitool.org!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: October 10, 2007, 03:38:01 AM
Howdy bingobadgo, glad to see you made it here!

I've got a few folks waiting for the next batch, which should be complete in the next day or two. Send me a Private Message with your address, and I'll send you a blade for testing.

Bob

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: October 10, 2007, 05:43:10 AM
Will this work on Wave? Thank you.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: October 10, 2007, 12:33:12 PM
They work in the new Wave, but not the old ones.

Def

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 03:18:02 PM
Anybody else wanna try one of these? I've got a few extra of the Milwaukee blades. (white blade in the picture, metal-cutting blade, 24 teeth per inch)

I have absolutely no interest in selling these. But, I can make them pretty easy, and most people can't. So if you're a Multitool.org member, I'll send you one for free. Only condition is, you come back here and tell us what you cut through. And tell us (good or bad) how well it worked.

~Bob

hey are these still availeable?id be very intrested to try one if its possible anymore.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:10 PM
Will they work on the "25th Anniversary" Wave?

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD