Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tools pair up with the main knife blade?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
What tools pair up with the main knife blade?
on: February 26, 2009, 02:30:48 PM
On a 91 mm Vic, besides the small blade, and combo tool, what other tools pair up with the main knife blade?  Cap lifter? Any of the back tools?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What tools pair up with the main knife blade?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:24:39 PM
Unfortunately none that I can think off.  The tool opposite the main blade has to be slimmer than any of the other tools so as to leave room for the tip of the main blade to sit along side, so thing like the can opener are to thick.  The only other tool the right thickness is the nail file from a 84mm but you would need to drill out the pivot hole and I suspect the nail nick would sit to low and be hidden by the liner.  Maybe one of the more experienced mods will know better though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
Hmmm....

84 mm combo tool is the same as the 91 correct?  Gotta hope for a compact or 84 in those TSA lots I got on ebay.  I have one Compact and one Timekeeper--obviously not gonna strip them down for through at my first mod...

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:42:07 PM
...84 mm combo tool is the same as the 91 correct?...

No, it is smaller and has a smaller diameter pivot hole.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:45:23 PM
Maybe one of the more experienced mods will know better though.

You're a lot more experienced and knowledgeable than most Gareth...I think you can officially stop saying that :twak: :D :D ...now if we can only do something about your Scissors fetish...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:51:48 PM by SporK »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:07 PM
Hmmm....

84 mm combo tool is the same as the 91 correct?  Gotta hope for a compact or 84 in those TSA lots I got on ebay.  I have one Compact and one Timekeeper--obviously not gonna strip them down for through at my first mod...

They are nearly the same but not quite.  Most importantly the hole for the pin will be to small on the 84mm so you would need to drill it out to a bigger size.  I haven't done that myself but NKB did a couple for me.  You need to use a Carbide drill bit to go through the hardened steel, you also need a pillar drill or a very steady hand as the carbide bits are very brittle and easy to break.  If you have access to a pillar drill it would make your life much easier.

Secondly the 84mm combo is fractionally smaller and so will sit a little lower on the scale.  See here;

The top knife is a Compact the bottom knife is a 91mm SAK with a 84mm combo on it.  You can see that it sits lower down and the nail nick is only just visible.  On the plus side there is no play and the tool is still nice and 'snappy'.  All in all you can make a 84mm work in a 91mm SAK but there is a bit of work and the result isn't perfect.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:39 PM
Maybe one of the more experienced mods will know better though.

You're a lot more experienced and knowledgeable that most Gareth...I think you can officially stop saying that :twak: :D :D ...now if we can only do something about your Scissors fetish...

Fair enough boss.  :D

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:50:53 PM
Actually we should probably put it to a Poll first... :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:21 PM

They are nearly the same but not quite. 

:ahhh

[quote author Gareth UK]All in all you can make a 84mm work in a 91mm SAK but there is a bit of work and the result isn't perfect.
[/quote]

:P

Thanks for the info.  Such fiddliness.  I guess I'll get started and see if I can get it together.  Silly me, I thought I'd just pick tools for the layers and peen the outer scales back on.  :twak:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:35 PM
Hang on! What scissor fetish?  I don't have a scissor fetish.  :think:

Oh yeah, so I do.  :-[  :P

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:42 PM
On a 91 mm Vic, besides the small blade, and combo tool, what other tools pair up with the main knife blade?  Cap lifter? Any of the back tools?
OK, I can think of quite a few actually. First off the "Pruner" blade as well as the "Electrician" blade has been mounted topside opposite the main blade on a 91mm. Also there are a few discontinued tools/blades that have appeared there as well. The small "Clip" pointed blade and the special "small flat screwdriver" have occupied a position across the street from the main blade in a Vic/Elinox 91mm knife. Here is a photo of my Elinox Ranger's small flat screwdriver.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:53:39 PM
Very true but I can't think of a current 91mm production knife other than the XLT that has the pruner or electricians blade, but there is every chance I'm missing something.  I admit I was only thinking of tools in production.  I can't remember seeing that small screwdriver before, nice SAK.  :drool:

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:41 PM
Very true but I can't think of a current 91mm production knife other than the XLT that has the pruner or electricians blade, but there is every chance I'm missing something.  I admit I was only thinking of tools in production.  I can't remember seeing that small screwdriver before, nice SAK.  :drool:
Don't forget the XAVT. It houses all the tools and if I remember right they even have the soldier version of the Reamer/Awl in there. I realize for Mod purposes it would probably be a little ridiculous to tear apart an XAVT just to mod something. Also the "Minathor" or the special watchmakers knife has a watch case remover blade opposite the main. I have a 91mm discontinued 1970's era "Outdoorsman". It has the fully serrated main blade and a pruner blade opposite it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:03:21 PM by stressmaster5000 »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
Don't forget the XAVT. It houses all the tools and if I remember right they even have the soldier version of the Reamer/Awl in there. I realize for Mod purposes it would probably be a little ridiculous to tear apart an XAVT just to mod something. Also the "Minathor" or the special watchmakers knife has a watch case remover blade opposite the main. I have a 91mm discontinued 1970's era "Outdoorsman". It has the fully serrated main blade and a pruner blade opposite it.

That's a Wenger model...

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 06:16:05 PM
That is correct. My mistake, however I know there are watch case remover blades on larger Vic knives like the XAVT and XXLT.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:22:47 PM
Yup.  On the XAVT, the watch case opener is paired with the combo tool  :think:.

But that's just pie in the sky.  I'm hoping for a combo in the TSA "donors".

Offline spaceconvoy

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 05:49:56 AM
Don't forget the short-lived Master Gardener and Master Electrician offered through Smokey Mountain Knife Works last year. The MGardener is much easier to find than the MElectrician, but both can be found on ebay and occasionally at Felinevet's.... in fact, he has a MGardener right now: http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=785&category_id=4ba60bfadf1b79f080867b9eecbb2b84&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:29 AM
Don't forget the short-lived Master Gardener and Master Electrician offered through Smokey Mountain Knife Works last year. The MGardener is much easier to find than the MElectrician, but both can be found on ebay and occasionally at Felinevet's.... in fact, he has a MGardener right now: http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=785&category_id=4ba60bfadf1b79f080867b9eecbb2b84&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

You know I had thought of that but I couldn't find it on Tims site.  Well done.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%