Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

luxeon star LEDs

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
luxeon star LEDs
on: March 21, 2007, 11:53:52 AM
When i bought my one and only flashlight (a 3watt luxeon star torch off some hong kong dealer on ebay (has MXDL 3W written on it)) I researched a bit and got the impression that the best LEDs were luxeon star.

I am wondering if that is true or have better LEDs been introduced? Are luxeon star LED torches anything special?

I'm thinking of buying a new flashlight now.

Offline zackhugh

Re: luxeon star LEDs
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:44:39 PM
The Luxeon 3 watt LEDs are old news and have been around for some time now.  There are more advanced LEDs now--brighter and more efficient.  The Cree XR-E and Seoul Semiconductor P4 are two examples.  The lumen output on them is amazing.

I suggest you look around at the various flashlight forums because there will be tons of information there.  Be warned, it may be a costly addiction if you're not careful.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59:54 PM
Great stuff, glad to see improvements and developments being made.

So taking the LEDS you mentioned as examples, what kind of price ranges are we talking about for small torches that use them? Anyone here own any and maybe shed some light on how they perform?

Offline zackhugh

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 01:02:22 AM
A quick search revealed that you can pick up a light with a Cree (Fenix) or Seoul P4 (Lumapower) for $40 to $50.  Have you seen the lumen ratings?  Wow, they are some bright LEDs.  I think the quality of these brands tends to the vary at this pricepoint so while I've been mulling over buying a Fenix 2AA Cree, I might just wait to see as Surefire brings out products with the newer LEDs.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:56 PM
Definitely check out the Cree XR-E lights.  A Fenix L2D-CE will output ~120 lumens(!!) on 2AA.  The XR-Es are nearly 100% more efficient than Luxeons, so you get about the same runtime at 120 lumens that a luxeon will produce at ~60 lumens.

I have a Rexlight 2.0 Cree XR-E light coming (for the $30 introductory price) and hope to due a comparison review with a luxeon when it arrives, with beamshots.

Oh, and BTW, I would not hesitate to buy a Fenix.  I own about 6 Fenix lights of various models, and none of them have had any issues whatsoever.  Fenix is one of the few Chinese companies that cares about the quality of their products, listens to its customers and constantly improves.  www.fenix-store.com is an excellent Fenix dealer, and the service is top-notch. 

Currently there are no US (large production) flashlight manufacturers offering Cree lights, but it won't be long.  Surefire is bringing out Cree models, but it could be quite some time before they're available.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:50:37 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44