Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt S4

Pacu · 31 · 3769

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Squirt S4
on: March 04, 2009, 05:41:14 PM
Just got my $7.99 Squirt S4 from Ebay. Here lately i've gotten the squirt-juice bug and been looking at all the different models.  I love how the scissors are almost exactly like the micra--a proven design. Feels like another quality Leatherman.

My next target is the KF4.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Squirt S4
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:56:18 PM
Just got my $7.99 Squirt S4 from Ebay. Here lately i've gotten the squirt-juice bug and been looking at all the different models.  I love how the scissors are almost exactly like the micra--a proven design. Feels like another quality Leatherman.

I have the juice s2 and quite like it.  I hate hefty tools.  If I can carry something small in a multi tool in a small sheath (love those juice sheaths) I will most of the time unless I am out working on something or hiking. 
I hesitate to call what companies call scissors, scissors.  I would more appropriately refer to them as "yarn snippers or thread cutters".  But, the juice line comes as close to scissors with their size.

sean

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:35:01 AM

They're more "snips" but I find them useful for all sorts of things.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:59:29 AM
That's a good price. :o I need to pick up an E4 sometime...

I like the sounds of that... And it would make a good pair with that S4. :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:07:00 AM
I bought a used Blue S4 a little while ago, that turned out to be red, so the seller gave me half my money back, and I had a duplicate S2 which I decided to EDC instead of the Micra that I usually carry.

I'd always been a bit reluctant to pocket carry a Squirt because I've seen so many on ebay and such where all the colour has worn of the handles, but I'm sorry I didn't switch earlier. I've recently started EDC'ing a Juice KF4 instead of my Charge TTi, so the scissors on the S4 are getting used a hell of a lot, and so far, I'm really pleased with it.

So Pacu - I reckon a KF4 / S4 combo will serve you well, it certainly is working for me, and for once in my life I'm UK legal
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:55:10 AM
I bought a used Blue S4 a little while ago, that turned out to be red, so the seller gave me half my money back, and I had a duplicate S2 which I decided to EDC instead of the Micra that I usually carry.

I'd always been a bit reluctant to pocket carry a Squirt because I've seen so many on ebay and such where all the colour has worn of the handles, but I'm sorry I didn't switch earlier. I've recently started EDC'ing a Juice KF4 instead of my Charge TTi, so the scissors on the S4 are getting used a hell of a lot, and so far, I'm really pleased with it.

So Pacu - I reckon a KF4 / S4 combo will serve you well, it certainly is working for me, and for once in my life I'm UK legal (Image removed from quote.)

The S4 is a great tool gotta love the scissor and like Luke (Neitherextreme) don't let me get started on the Kf4 one of the best pocket sized MTs out there period :o :D

Glad to hear you like the switch from Micra to S4 Dave :cheers: and hope the Kf4 meets all your needs as good as the TTi ;) :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:55:49 AM
Owe yeah nice to see your rolling UK legal now as well :pok: :o :D :D :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:48:10 PM

So Pacu - I reckon a KF4 / S4 combo will serve you well, it certainly is working for me, and for once in my life I'm UK legal (Image removed from quote.)

I like the sound of that combo.

I'll have to consider an S4.
I'm back!!

Offline landwomble

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:13:32 PM

I like the sound of that combo.

I'll have to consider an S4.

I think the Squirts are great.  I've been EDCing a P4 for years: I'm on my second after temporarily losing the first.  When it turned up (inside the washing machine, several cycles later!) I passed one on to my missus.  The best keyring multitool IMHO, and I've tried them all!  Sure, the colours get scratched up, but it kind of adds character.
I've always gone for the pliers as with a knife on there I just don't need scissors, and I've used the pliers loads.  In a pinch they work as tweezers, too.

Gripes?  Don't like the chisel edge blade, but it holds a decent edge. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:50 PM
I reprofiled mine and now it has a V grind :D Will nearly shave ya :o It just took a few minutes on some of those ceramic rabbit ear type sharpeners and another few minutes with the Sharpmaker and it was good to go :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 10:35:08 PM
I have to say, I feel a bit daft fo rnot using a Squirt sooner. The Micra is still a great keychain tool, but the Squirt has all the mod cons.

Problem is, I have less Squirts than Micras  :P

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:10 PM
 :think: Come to think of it I carried that combo for a while when I first got the S4 and the Kf4 they are both grey and matched so I liked the look of carrying both :D but then I got a few minimalist MT SideClip, Skeley and etc. and forgot about the combo ::) I may go with that combo again 4 a while on weekend carry :cheers:

and Dave that just means you need more Squirts :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:54 PM
 :pok: or you could just send all your surplus Micras to me :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:37 PM
Squirts are so expensive for what they are though - it's no mystery why I have so few....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:03 AM
Squirts are so expensive for what they are though - it's no mystery why I have so few....

:D I know Dave I was teasing that's the only reason I have 1 ;) and I got a great deal on it or I would just have a Micra ::) :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:35:31 AM
I think you have the best of the two poncho. I'm definitely preferring the Squirt these days.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:44 AM
Does anyone have, or can take, a pic of a Squirt next to a Micra please?
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:40 AM
Yeah I can do that. Any particular Squirt model?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:14 AM
Yeah I can do that. Any particular Squirt model?

The E4 would be great!  :cheers:

Thanks.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 01:31:12 AM
Here you go:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:34 AM
Those are great Dave, thanks.  :tu:

I always thought the Squirt was slightly larger for some reason,  :think:  somewhere between the Micra and a Juice.

I like the look of the E4.  :tu:  So damn expensive over here though.  :o
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 01:39:31 AM
Those are great Dave, thanks.  :tu:

I always thought the Squirt was slightly larger for some reason,  :think:  somewhere between the Micra and a Juice.

I like the look of the E4.  :tu:  So damn expensive over here though.  :o

Well, as you can see, they are actually substantially smaller than the Micra, but the tools are the same. In fact, the tools on the S4 seem to be exactly the same as the Micra, so it's a clever thing to have them externally opening. I also think the S4's scissors are an improvement on the Micra's too.

The price however is scary, and you only have 24hrs to pick up a used one from ebay!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:43:47 AM
One thing puzzles me about the Squirts.   The P4 and the S4 both have a flat Phillips.
The E4 has a far superior full Phillips in the same location.
Why don't the other Squirts use the E4-style Phillips?

R

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 10:52:43 AM
Does the Squirt have a "proper" grind on the blade?
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:20 AM
Perhaps there are legalities preventing the use of certain E4 exclusive implements on other models due to Radio Shack's involvement?  ???
[

Offline landwomble

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:42 PM
Perhaps there are legalities preventing the use of certain E4 exclusive implements on other models due to Radio Shack's involvement?  ???

eh?  I've not heard this, what's this about?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:26 PM
Nah - no conspiracy I don't think.

The "phillips" on the S4 and P4 are similar to the design on the micra - i.e. flat. This design does work well, and cosmetically, it fits flush and looks nice. I always look at the S4 as though it was supposed to replace the Micra one day, it is the only Squirt with the nail file / manicure tool, it has scissors, and "will do in a pinch" drivers. In fact, it has exactly the same tool selection as the Micra.

A theory I have in the E4's phillips is that Radioshack might have requested it, as it is a more "serious" tool, and more in keeping with the wire strippers etc. Remember that the electrician version was only made for Radioshack initially, before it was eventually included in Leatherman's sales literature and re-badged as the E4.

To be fair, whilst the E4 phillips is clearly better, the flat design really does work well. I have dismantled a laptop with one, and even put it back together!

Offline landwomble

Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 04:24:15 PM
I'd never noticed the E4 had a "real" philips driver.  You live and learn...

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 07:27:44 PM

Can't wait for my P4 to arrive now.  :drool:
W

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 09:58:18 PM
Does the Squirt have a "proper" grind on the blade?

Nope has a chisel grind but I reprofiled mine to a V grind and it is very sharp now :o wasn't hard at all once you got the V establish just a little time on the Sharpmaker and it sharpened up nicely :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%