Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need Help : Al Mar 4x4

Offline serpentthegreen

Need Help : Al Mar 4x4
on: November 19, 2008, 05:53:52 PM

Could You help me to find out the year this Al Mar was produced ? I've failed.  :(
I've got no box or papers, just the case and the tool.
Hint : It has two Al Mar logos.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Need Help : Al Mar 4x4
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:59:47 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :)

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline serpentthegreen

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:16:26 PM
Thanks, I hope so.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:35:48 AM
Greetings serpentthegreen!

Your Al Mar is called he 4x4 Tool Mate. It was produced in the late 1980's/early 1990's. By the looks of the plier pivot pin (yours has a rivet instead of a screw) yours was one of the earlier made tools.

There is a bit more information here at the Multitool Encyclopedia: 

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=4x4+Tool+Mate
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:18:34 AM
Wow J-sews to the rescue. Welcome to the forum. Anything you can share on the Russian multitool industry?

Offline serpentthegreen

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:27:14 PM
Greetings serpentthegreen!

Your Al Mar is called he 4x4 Tool Mate. It was produced in the late 1980's/early 1990's. By the looks of the plier pivot pin (yours has a rivet instead of a screw) yours was one of the earlier made tools.

There is a bit more information here at the Multitool Encyclopedia: 

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=4x4+Tool+Mate

Thank You, but I've read it before asking =) I just hoped I could get more precise date.

Offline serpentthegreen

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:23 PM
Wow J-sews to the rescue. Welcome to the forum. Anything you can share on the Russian multitool industry?
There is no such thing like Russian multitool industry. Some make or made knives with additional tools, but nothing more i'm aware about. We've got Leatherman, Victorinox/Wenger and all kind of chineese "5-bucks-kind-of-multitool" .
Russian knife makers are very busy surviving to make new types of production.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:55:34 AM
Do you know of Noks knives company? They seem to have made a few multitools and multi-purpose knives. :)

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Noks

(There is a link to the Noks website on that page)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline serpentthegreen

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:48:48 PM
Do you know of Noks knives company? They seem to have made a few multitools and multi-purpose knives. :)
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Noks
(There is a link to the Noks website on that page)
Yes, I know. But i haven't seen them for a pretty long time. And i've never seen their knives or tools in decent knife/tool shop. Only in those who sell everything, including chineese knives, cheap souvenires etc. :D

Quality and ergonomics are pretty poor. None of my friends found their knives comfortable to use. And we have very different palms.  Blade is kind of 440C steel with poor heat-treatening.  Price is not very high, but it ain't worth even it. And they dont' take feedback. "We are pro, u're nothing".

And, BTW, there's nothing about "silent weapons". They make knives tools & equipment only.
They tell they sell it to the military, but noone knows how many of them were sold, or were they used, where or when they were used. My friends in Russian army never encountered them.  ;)

Resume : may be nice for collection, but not for usage.

Offline Connorw

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:24:01 PM
Looking at your pictures it looks like an AL MAR 8001 not to sure about the  4x4 Tool Mate name it may be connected. im new to all this do i may be wrong but you talking around 1987. This is what i found on it from a listing on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-MAR-8001-4X4-TOOL-MATE%2FKNIFE-LEATHER-POUCH-SEKIJAPAN_W0QQitemZ140304796561QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090302?IMSfp=TL090302202003r33471 'This Al Mar multi-tool came on the market in the late 1980's.  It is produced in Seki-Japan and it's so indicated on the knife blade. The 4x4 is a solid design with a fixed plier head.  A brown leather wrap is glued into place on the plier handle to help cushion the grip, when it's not in use it's held into place by a secure bail.  This has a pair of pliers, 3 blades, first is a hollow ground drop-point knife blade, 2nd is a serrated sheepsfoot blade and the third is a short flathead screwdriver blade, smooth one one side with a double-cut file pattern on the other side.  There is also a phillips screwdriver that pulls out.  None of the blades or tools lock.  It has a browth leather sheath stamped with the Al Mar logo. On the handle of the tool it is marked Pat. Pend.    The quality of construction is evident throughout.  This is a hard to find tool by Al Mar.  The box shows some evidence of wear but the tool and sheath are in mint condition and has the original paperwork that came in the box.  We welcome any questions regarding this tool.' cant be sure but the pictures look the same i dont think you will find a date unless their is a branding but this is unlikely as it seems to be a mass produced item.

Just to add it sold for $200  :gimme:
W

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:39:55 PM
They are undeniably gorgeous, just too bloody expensive :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:49 PM
There is a a bit of resemblance with the SOG Toolclip IMHO , both being made in Seki I wonder if the people that made the Al Mar were commissioned by SOG to make a cheap version  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44