Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit owners club

Dunc · 2891 · 255802

Flash

Re: Spirit owners club
Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:07 PM
In other words, no.  TBH I think all this worrying has got a bit OTT.  I just carry it in sensible places and don't act like a prat when I do so.

And if you don't mind me saying so... about time too!

All this paranoia is contagious, to the point that I started leaving my Charge at home  :o I'm working on the assumption that only an unreasonable copper would confiscate it, and if I get stopped and searched by an unreasonable copper, then they'd probably find a dodgy tail-light or something anyway.

I know I might regret it at some point, but I'm prepared to take my chances.

At this point I must admit that there are NO unreasonable coppers (now where is that "tongue in cheek" smiley?)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 10:15:41 PM
All this positive talk has made me finally break down and order one. Amazon will be shipping me a spirit s, along with a spyderco sharpmaster.  I was contemplating a blast to rotate on with my wave and skeletool; the spirit shall fill that role instead.  :D

When you say Spyderco Sharpmaster did you mean sharpmaker ?  I have a Sharpmaker and it really brings out the best in the Spirits blade/s .As you have gone for the "S" model may I suggest you pair it with something like a Vic Climber or a Leatherman Micra so you have the option of Scissors .One last thing  ::)  Please come back and tell us what you think of the Spirit .

Dunc

us Offline django.cj

Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:40 PM
Yeah Sharpmaker. I've been keeping my blades sharp with a stone,  it some just don't get sharp that way. Most notably a Cold Steel folder. High end metal is great until it's no longer sharp and your stone doesn't help.

I usually have a huntsman or wenger lux cigar model on me, so scissors shouldn't be an issue. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:38 PM
Yeah Sharpmaker. I've been keeping my blades sharp with a stone,  it some just don't get sharp that way. Most notably a Cold Steel folder. High end metal is great until it's no longer sharp and your stone doesn't help.

I usually have a huntsman or wenger lux cigar model on me, so scissors shouldn't be an issue. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

The trouble with high end steel blades is because they tend to be alot harder .They take alot longer to sharpen and it becomes much harder to keep the angle when sharpening free hand >

Dunc

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: April 15, 2009, 05:37:11 AM
I know that a locking multi is a no no in the UK , at least in theory , good reason yadda yadda . Has anyone ever actually been prosecuted for carrying a multi ( assuming no pratt like actions ) ?

Chris

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #65 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:04 PM
I know that a locking multi is a no no in the UK , at least in theory , good reason yadda yadda . Has anyone ever actually been prosecuted for carrying a multi ( assuming no pratt like actions ) ?

Chris

Not to my knowledge.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: April 15, 2009, 07:54:22 PM
Problem is you'd never know.  It would be dealt with on a local level and most press it would get would be a few lines in the local paper.  I occasionally see this kind of thing for people caught with a locking blade in the local rag.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #67 on: April 15, 2009, 08:41:17 PM
I'm fairly sure I won't as I am issued with a fixed blade to wear at work at all times  :D

dunc

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:49 PM
Dunc just ends up in his local rag for entirely different reasons ;)

Neil

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #69 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:48 PM
Dunc just ends up in his local rag for entirely different reasons ;)

Neil

SSSsshhhhh Don't mention me having to sign the register  :o

dunc

us Offline django.cj

Reply #70 on: April 15, 2009, 10:19:23 PM
 :climber:
Well somehow I ordered my Spirit yesterday at 3PM, and it was delivered here today at 2:30PM...with Amazon's super saver free shipping.  Usually that shipping method means "we'll throw it on the truck when we get around to it and you'll get it in one week to a month".

I'm very impressed with the build quality.  The blades are sharp, and it feels great in my hand.  I'm used to Leatherman's interchangeable bits, so I'm hoping the phillips will prove versatile.  The sheath is fantastic, it reminds me of the kind Leatherman used to use.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #71 on: April 15, 2009, 10:20:20 PM
Glad your liking it mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #72 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:36 PM
The more you use it, the more you'll appreciate it  :multi:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline Springs420

Reply #73 on: April 16, 2009, 12:03:48 AM
I can't wait for my replacement Spirit to arrive. Endless amounts of LMs won't replace my sweet, departed Spirit.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #74 on: April 16, 2009, 12:57:51 AM
I love it BUT, I can't carry it hence why i'm moving it on  :cry: 
Still waiting for Vic to introduce a non locking Juice type MT.

I haven't tried this, but it looks like you could disable the locking mechanism by pulling out the spring that becomes accessible when all the tools are open.

R

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: April 16, 2009, 01:31:47 AM
That does work to a certain extent.

Unfortunately the spring on those tools isn't really designed to keep them in place like on a slip joint.  Its not awful but the spring  really would need to be a bit stronger for it to be a practical tool.

Now who knows someone with the right equipment to re-temper some springs :D

Neil

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #76 on: April 16, 2009, 11:34:25 AM
I'd like to know how Vic makes them springs , it must be a clever bit of kit .

Dunc

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: April 18, 2009, 03:36:38 AM
Two spirits currently - the original version and the S variant.  Soon to own "spear point instead of butter-blade" variant.  Like the look of that BO crimper model as well.

I just love the spirit.  As soon as I opened my first one I knew it was the tool for me.  It sits in my pocket more than any other tool I own. 

Super Sexy Stainless Steel Stallion of Sharpness - AKA Spirit.

Rich.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #78 on: April 18, 2009, 06:45:00 AM
"Super Sexy Stainless Steel Stallion of Sharpness" I like that.Can I use it for a sigline soon? :tu: You can tell that there's a lot of love going on for the Spirit,tactical butter knife or not.My only gripe with the Spirit is that it's just finelt built,I almost hate using it out of fear of marring it.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #79 on: April 18, 2009, 07:41:39 AM
Two spirits currently - the original version and the S variant.  Soon to own "spear point instead of butter-blade" variant.  Like the look of that BO crimper model as well.

I just love the spirit.  As soon as I opened my first one I knew it was the tool for me.  It sits in my pocket more than any other tool I own. 

Super Sexy Stainless Steel Stallion of Sharpness - AKA Spirit.

Rich.
Jammy sod :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: April 18, 2009, 04:08:05 PM
"Super Sexy Stainless Steel Stallion of Sharpness" I like that.Can I use it for a sigline soon? :tu: You can tell that there's a lot of love going on for the Spirit,tactical butter knife or not.My only gripe with the Spirit is that it's just finelt built,I almost hate using it out of fear of marring it.

Feel free to use it all you want :D  You could add the word 'Swiss' in there for more alliteration-based goodness.  I'm a big fan of the Spirit's leather sheath as well.  Far better than alot of the sheath designs out there.

I'd like to see a needle-nose pliers variant, though I like the current plier head alot.

:tu:  Thats the spirit!

....Get it?   

....Sorry :-[

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #81 on: April 18, 2009, 04:33:44 PM

Feel free to use it all you want :D  You could add the word 'Swiss' in there for more alliteration-based goodness.  I'm a big fan of the Spirit's leather sheath as well.  Far better than alot of the sheath designs out there.

I'd like to see a needle-nose pliers variant, though I like the current plier head alot.

:tu:  Thats the spirit!

....Get it?   

....Sorry :-[

agree :tu:
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: April 18, 2009, 04:39:38 PM
A few pics I took of my Spirit yesterday.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice pics Buzzbait. It looks like they were taken over at Neil's house. :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:17 PM
It pees on every other multi in it's class , from a great height ! Best there is !

Chris

Offline ephraim

Reply #84 on: April 19, 2009, 02:20:07 AM
Nice shots.

My biggest complaint about the Spirit is actually the SHAPE of the sheath.  It is quite square and box-like which means it catches on everything.  It became such a bother, that I don't EDC it much.  I gotta find a better sheath for me.
I too have the S model and I like a lot of you do not like the sheath. What I find is that compared to many folders the Spirit is not much bigger, so I just drop it in a front pocket and go on about my daily task. I never notice any discomfort or even notice that its there until it is needed. So I vote forget the sheath and just pocket carry.

Offline ephraim

Reply #85 on: April 19, 2009, 02:29:29 AM

Hmm, I must be the few who actually like the spirit sheath, takes up the minimum amount of space as possible, and no features that I'll never use (i.e. hold tool in plier open position, which is what made gerber flik's sheath horrible IMO).
The sheath is great, like the old Leatherman style (shame on you Leatherman  >:().
I cannot believe that most of you cannot have so called good reason to carry a spirit because it locks. If you do any heavy cutting, wharehouse, construction, public works, EMS, police, military, farmer all need safe tools as they often work by themselves and a deep cut because a blade closed on your hand in a time of isolation or time of helping someone else leads to law suits and or bad consequences for the self. If you are cutting even the hard plastic that packages are rapped in like cell phones a blade closeing on your hand opening one of them could lead to a very high ER bill. Locks are a safety mechanism that is all. I could understand if you were trying to lock a 5,6,7 inch blade but anything 4 inches and under should be considered a tool not a weapon. Heck for minimilist sake I would even adjust for a 3 inch blade.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #86 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:27 AM

Hmm, I must be the few who actually like the spirit sheath, takes up the minimum amount of space as possible, and no features that I'll never use (i.e. hold tool in plier open position, which is what made gerber flik's sheath horrible IMO).
The sheath is great, like the old Leatherman style (shame on you Leatherman  >:().
I cannot believe that most of you cannot have so called good reason to carry a spirit because it locks. If you do any heavy cutting, wharehouse, construction, public works, EMS, police, military, farmer all need safe tools as they often work by themselves and a deep cut because a blade closed on your hand in a time of isolation or time of helping someone else leads to law suits and or bad consequences for the self. If you are cutting even the hard plastic that packages are rapped in like cell phones a blade closeing on your hand opening one of them could lead to a very high ER bill. Locks are a safety mechanism that is all. I could understand if you were trying to lock a 5,6,7 inch blade but anything 4 inches and under should be considered a tool not a weapon. Heck for minimilist sake I would even adjust for a 3 inch blade.

If you need it for work then thats fine , the trouble starts when carrying it out of work if you don't have a reason . " Just in case " is not a reason. It also depends on your age , where you live and how you dress that increases your chances of being searched .

Dunc

us Offline django.cj

Reply #87 on: April 19, 2009, 04:01:47 PM
I can't believe how some places write laws against you carrying tools. I'm waiting for that nonsense to get traction over here.  >:(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:04 AM
Well. I'm in this Spirit owners' club now. So that means I'm allowed to post on this thread now, yeah?
I used to come here a lot.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 03:44:23 AM
Well. I'm in this Spirit owners' club now. So that means I'm allowed to post on this thread now, yeah?

Yup.

So....

what do you think of the sheath?  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24