Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Tough Tool

DaveK · 34 · 4763

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Schrade Tough Tool
on: March 10, 2009, 12:58:42 AM
I just received this Tough Tool from American Lockpicker in a trade, and the best word I can think of to describe it is probably "weird".

I think it's possibly as practical as the Vic Autotool, but there's something about it that's really quite likeable and I'm chuffed to have it in my collection. If I'm honest however, I can't see it getting much use beyond the experimental, as I do not have the hands of a gorilla!

This is Funky, with a capital F.

Who has one and do you use it much?

I used to come here a lot.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Schrade Tough Tool
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:21 AM
Me. No.  :D :D :D

Very interesting though Dave.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:23 AM
I reckon this one would look nice in amongst your multitool freak-show actually Mat. It's really a very bizarre thing  :think: You know - so bad it's brilliant!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:05:13 AM
Is this Mat's next oddity?   :pok:

As much as it pains me, I'd have to say that the Tough Tool is at least marginally more useful than the AutoTool, unless you need a tire pressure gauge.  It's more general use oriented.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:41 AM
I reckon this one would look nice in amongst your multitool freak-show actually Mat. It's really a very bizarre thing  :think: You know - so bad it's brilliant!

To be fair it has some very good ideas , the total package just did not come together. Need a good team at development stage to recognize the good from the bad.
I think it's lock release is much better than the SuperTool's.
Now Dave you need to get one of those Taylor ToughTools & compare the made in USA one too the made in China one  :pok: :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:10:18 AM
Is this Mat's next oddity?   :pok:

As much as it pains me, I'd have to say that the Tough Tool is at least marginally more useful than the AutoTool, unless you need a tire pressure gauge.  It's more general use oriented.

Def
:pok: :pok: ::) :D :D :D :D :D
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8109.0.html

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:47 AM
haha, my reply on that thread of yours was :

Great review Matt. That looks like an interesting tool, in a Vic Autotool / Leatherman Flair kind of way. You know - weird!

Thanks for the thoughts and pics.

At least I'm consistent!

I remember the discussion about production being moved to China, but this one only has "USA" marked on it. No mention of the 'C' word anywhere. Are we sure it wasn't US made?

The noticeable differences between this one and yours Mat are the non-laminated plier head, and mine has a saw in place of the serrated blade.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:19:15 AM
Guess now you just need the Tough Chip then!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:28 AM
Me? Nah - I think I'll pass ;)

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:49 AM
At one time it was USA made but when Schrade closed Taylor brands bought it and shipped production overseas(China) and since then quality has been smurfe.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:25:42 AM
According to the Wiki, this is a Series 3 on the Bob scale! I.e. the latest US version.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:30:40 AM
DaveK, I have the Sears Craftsman version, blunt nosed with bit driver.  The pliers worked very well,  but the tools in the handle are difficult to use well because how the handles sit.  The blades are a little brittle, but the bit driver is quite good. 

Not an EDC candidate, however.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:33:27 AM
Guess now you just need the Tough Chip then!  :P

Def

Yes I do  ::) :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:41:05 AM
DaveK, I have the Sears Craftsman version, blunt nosed with bit driver.  The pliers worked very well,  but the tools in the handle are difficult to use well because how the handles sit.  The blades are a little brittle, but the bit driver is quite good. 

Not an EDC candidate, however.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts towards it too. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the bit driver though.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:45:22 AM
A couple pictures here.  If I get a chance, I'll take some pics of the bit driver sleeve and the little bits.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:26 AM
Cool - thanks :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:58 AM
I've seen a different bit for that tool. It was similar to the one klein uses in the 4in1 screwdriver except bigger. Also it wasn't rust resistant.
(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 02:20:54 AM
A nice one to have for the collection Dave, if only to illustrate how NOT to make a multitool! ;)

Actually though, when they first came out I know a lot of construction guys around here who carried them. The Schrade name had such a following then that I think folks bought the Tough Tool based strictly on the company's reputation.

It sure is a big ol' clunker though isn't it? :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:32 AM
That's a good word for it Bob.

When I look at it, I see this:

.. which is good thing, right?

It's just that it is, as you say, clunky, and impractical. That's a shame because I want it to work!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:24 AM
Can you imagine trying to actually use the knife for anything delicate? ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 02:42:13 AM
Well you got a USA version anyway Dave :D if it's like the Tough Chip then it is a bit odd to handle :D Tools come out kinda funny to  :think: I guess they were thinking what can we do so LM doesn't sue us ::) :D

Good find though for a collector :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 02:42:49 AM
Can you imagine trying to actually use the knife for anything delicate? ::)

Delicate :think: you mean like chopping fire wood delicate right :tu: :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:05 PM
I thought I had a new title holder in the ,World Champion Wide Arse MT category, in the Sportratchet . But NO the ST1 pips it by a couple of mm  :o

Offline Biru

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 04:12:24 PM
The odd thing is that I used to know a fellow who carried the Schradetool through Desert Storm and the rest of his stint in the US Army. This fellow would've married that tool if it would've agreed! After I got one for a Christmas present I began to wonder if the desert had gotten to him...

I like the strange screwdriver that has shallow wings, and especially the splitter. :o Still, if you were in camp that splitter might be handy. One thing I will say is that my Schradetool knife is sharp as a scalpel, and I have the scars to prove it.

The Schradetool reminds me of my Gerber Legend, a few good ideas, but unrealized potential.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 04:34:18 PM
My father wouldn't use any other tool than his Tough Tool for a long time, despite it being beaten and broken.  Much like your first car, I think your first tool, at least for the guy who really uses the tool, is the one tool you will compare all other tools to.  My father may have been able to tell six ways to Sunday that the Spirit I gave him was a much better tool, but it was the Schrade that was with him when he was knee deep in freezing water trying to unclog a water pipe or when he was twenty miles from home and had a problem with the ATV.  I knew it wasn't the ideal tool, and he could see the obvious superiority of the Spirit, but he still used the Schrade.

I think he carries the Spirit now, but it took a long time for him to consider retiring the old Tough Tool.

I often get phone calls from people who have found our site and want a quick answer to a multitool related question and don't want to join the forum to get an answer.  I would say that the vast majority of the calls I get are people asking about the Tough Tool- either they have lost theirs, or they have broken theirs and want warranty info, or they just straight up want to replace it with a new one as it's served them well over the years.  Unfortunately I have to tell them that as great as their TT was, I really don't suggest they get another because of what those smurfs at Taylor have done to it.  Everyone I say that to is terribly disappointed- you can hear it in their voice, almost as bad as if they just found out their old army buddy just died. 

Of course any tool they buy nowadays will be better in almost every way, but it'll never be the same for them, and despite having one handed opening tools, a better lock mechanism, smaller form factor, better machined components, it will never be as good.

It's amazing really... and the Tough Tool, which we all kind of look down on as an absurdity, has such a vast following.  If only it hadn't been sold out, Taylor could have a continuing legacy on their hands.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:11 PM
I know that at least 3 people on my road have and use Tough Tools.
(

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 05:54:27 AM
a lot of industial workers around here used to carry that. lowes sold them. I like the tool a lot th pliers handle twisting very well.

Offline tpolley

Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:26 PM
i carried a tough tool for about 9 years. the side access to the blades is nice. the knife was okay, i always carried a separate knife anyway. the philips bit was a joke but it was better than a sharp stick in the eye. i never saw the need for the saw blade. i used the heck out of the file. there was a few other blades that, to this day, can't figure out what the heck they are. oh, and when you wanted to fold out one blade, you got 3 or 4 other blades with it. the pliers and the wire cutters and the handle were it's best features. still the most comfortable handle i've ever seen. very easy to open and close one handed. yeah it's a bit wider than the leatherman surge but it's about half as thick and half the weight.
i almost cried when i found out schrade went out of business and the tough tool was no longer avalible. i deceided i'd retire it and put it away in the back of a dresser drawer. yeah it's probably brand loyalty. it's probably the fact that it was the first MT i've ever had. it's not perfect but it's by far my favorite MT. i'll probably be burried with that tool.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:41:38 PM by tpolley »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 11:36:28 PM
Cool - thanks tpolley. I didn't realise what sort of following these things had.

Funny that you liked the handles, I though they were about the most uncomfortable pliers I've ever tried! But then I have small, girly hands :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:36 AM
I talked to another guy today who still carries a Tough Tool. Man has he been rough on it! The saw blade is busted off. Everything else is still going strong though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $123.78
PayPal Fees: $6.94
Net Balance: $116.84
Below Goal: $183.16
Site Currency: USD
39%