Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

swisstool. good and bad..

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Re: swisstool. good and bad..
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 05:42:30 AM
hope the pictures help,

im pointing out defects on a perfectly functional decent quality tool that works well..
i can find  more things that are bad than good on this tool.

THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT A BAD TOOL
in fact it is a rather nice comfortable tool to use, and i do have some liking for it...
but that is what a review is for.. to  look at things and see what can be imporved.. and these are things ive found that need improving..

alas with the casting it is becasue the makers of multitools are not the makers of actuial tools , like hammers and pliers and such.. and so they are using what they have and what techniques they work with and know.... they are mostly knife producers........

the victorinox casting is by far the best quality  tool casting of the multitools , it is very cleanly cast and in some places on the black finished tool it has not even been machines because the detail of the cast was good enough it ididnt need it..
this dosnt make casting a good thing, but it means that the swiss or.. proably the euroepans ( dont think the head is swiss made.. but you never know) an do a good quality detailed casting , that proably has very few chances of flaws.. and a good structure..dosnt make it  ideal like a forging , but hey..

as to the price i payed a theives price for it..  and although the retail is steep, it is a decent tool and  if i had to ib be inclined to pay it.. or think about paying it
m

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 06:36:45 AM
I do agree with you about the plier head. I was surprised how loose it felt compared to my cheap pliers as well. I think the LM pliers have an even bigger gap than that though.

I don't know how much room there is to make the tools longer though. I looks like they would hit the back of the pliers if they were longer. Maybe with some redesign of the nail nicks?

Overall though, I think the SwissTool is easily one of the best tools out there. Other than the pliers, the other observations are more details rather than errors.

I find your observations very interesting though. And thanks for taking the time to explain everything with pictures!  :cheers:
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:22 AM
On your model you have its one of the later awls , the earlier ones were better . As for the sheath  :tu: If its a nylon one whitch snaps shut and not velcro then its made for the U.S market . In Europe we get the leather or nylon with velcro and they are much better .

Dunc

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 04:11:55 PM
On your model you have its one of the later awls , the earlier ones were better . As for the sheath  :tu: If its a nylon one whitch snaps shut and not velcro then its made for the U.S market . In Europe we get the leather or nylon with velcro and they are much better .

Dunc

Wonder why they changed the awl :think: Hey Dunc if you could would you post a pic of the 2 different awls :) I would like to know which 1 I have :tu:

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:35 PM
big empty spaces..  that could have been filled.....

Hi :)

I've filled them with a modded firesteel... my lanyard hole is round -an old model of swisstool- but it works.
It can work even better with shaped holes :)

I don't think longer tools would fit. They would become more fragile, and shorter handles would reduce leverage, isn't it?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:08:50 PM

Dunc

Wonder why they changed the awl :think: Hey Dunc if you could would you post a pic of the 2 different awls :) I would like to know which 1 I have :tu:

Here you go , early one in the front

Dunc

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:11 PM
 :tu: alright Dunc I thank you sir :salute:

will go check and see which 1 mine is :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 10:00:29 PM
I dont own a Swiss tool. I hear they rust easy :)
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 10:33:27 PM
It's good to read another review, thanks for taking the time to do one.

There were quite a few things I can't say I agreed with though, but hey, if we all agreed this would be a pretty dull place wouldn't it.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:13 AM
Many of the issues that ausjulius pointed out could be fixed relatively easily if Victorinox wanted to. I wonder why they haven't? I mean, they "improve" the plier head every few years, why not anything else? :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 12:54:21 AM
Many of the issues that ausjulius pointed out could be fixed relatively easily if Victorinox wanted to. I wonder why they haven't? I mean, they "improve" the plier head every few years, why not anything else? :think:
There's many joys AND drawbacks to being a privately held company as opposed to a publicly traded company.The biggest joy is that you really don't have to answer to stockholders that demand change,and going with trends and market forces.The biggest drawback is being slow to change,and resisting trends and market forces. Victorinox has a quality control that's just about second to none,but I have to say they are a tad behind the curve on things.
I

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 12:59:21 AM
That's probably because they are a _foundation_... I've never head of any progressive foundation so far... ::) :D

Offline ausjulius

Reply #42 on: March 13, 2009, 04:57:19 AM
thanks for the replies..
yes it is overall a good tool and im shure it has some use..

but id wish theyed make some changes to it that need to be done..
the tools are to short. aspecialy the knife and saw blades.. the could have put another 1cm of using area on them..

thanks for the awl pic i can see the older awl was better, but still the awl on my spatan SAK is better than both of the awls and longer..
it needs a pull through hole..

yes i know the maerican market sheath is marked made in mexico and is a poor sad thing, i like better than european made pouches ..

my biggest gripe is he rickety pliers and the gap in the head , this is a problem for me.. and one id like to see fixed...

the finish on the heads is good , but they are badly designed and  this is not hard to change. the change would cost only the price of a new mold.. about 2000-4000 euro  for a alloy mold  set for the wax forms for casting for a simple shape like a plier ma good deal less than 4000..

it is one of the better multitools out there...  but it needs improvements, there is no multitools that dont have these flaws or flaws like them.. alas..

it would be nice if they would do up a custom multitool from one o the makers for us lot on the forum :D..

one thing i like about the sog is how you can change the tools to how you wish with ease.. if the so had the vic quality and fit and  finish and mechnisim.. it would be neat..
apseicaly the the geared handles..
m

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:30 AM
The best awl ever is still on the Alox SAK's, thus  I carry an Electrician.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 03:12:11 AM
If I could have a private multitool fantasy it would be a Kline/Victorinox collaboration . The plierhead head being made by Kline with the 2000 series heatreat/alloys . While the head would require some basic maintenance , it would be a powerfull device ! Knipex of Germany would also be able to do a nice job .

All that said , the swisstool is among the best , if not the best existing multitool out there .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #45 on: March 14, 2009, 10:23:18 AM

All that said , the swisstool is among the best , if not the best existing multitool out there .

Chris
Here, here :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #46 on: March 14, 2009, 12:59:37 PM

Chris
Here, here :tu:

HERE HERE TWO  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #47 on: March 14, 2009, 01:12:39 PM
If I could have a private multitool fantasy it would be a Kline/Victorinox collaboration . The plierhead head being made by Kline with the 2000 series heatreat/alloys .
That would be pretty exciting indeed! :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #48 on: March 14, 2009, 01:21:50 PM
not the best existing multitool out there .

Chris

Spot on ;)
I used to come here a lot.

Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 04:18:05 PM

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 04:37:49 PM

Chris

Spot on ;)

so has there ever been a pole done among the members as to what the best multitool is out there?  There must
have been huh?

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 06:01:36 PM
so has there ever been a pole done among the members as to what the best multitool is out there?  There must
have been huh?

Well, every 2 weeks there is a new "What are your top 5 favourite MTs" thread...  :P
[

Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:02 PM
have been huh?

Well, every 2 weeks there is a new "What are your top 5 favourite MTs" thread...  :P
Yep, and all stared by Nikko ::) :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:34 PM

Chris

Spot on ;)

Dave are you lost ? Take hold of my arm mate and I'll guide you back to the Leatherman forum .   >:D

Dunc

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:10 PM
You can't throw me out! I'm leaving of my own accord.

Fascist.....

*legs it.
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 08:34:17 PM
You can't throw me out! I'm leaving of my own accord.

Fascist.....

*legs it.

Dave  :o   :P

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: March 15, 2009, 01:27:06 AM
Dennis

Offline ausjulius

Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 12:53:48 AM
ofcorse the victorinox multitool is the best quality multitool out there..... im just holding a sog powerlock,, and looking at it and the vic tool, and the sog,, is a defective bit of  of junk, with more flaws and than the empire state building,,.. that makes be want to hang the guy who designed it.. and quality like a chinese pogo stick..
so looking at the swiss tool....... you can see.. two very different items.... one has flaws that can be fixed, the other  has got a cronic illness that cannot be fixed and must die.......

what can i say.. :D
m

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 12:58:13 AM
Is your Sog a SOG USA or SOG SOG SOG SOG?
(

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 05, 2009, 01:50:11 AM
ofcorse the victorinox multitool is the best quality multitool out there..... im just holding a sog powerlock,, and looking at it and the vic tool, and the sog,, is a defective bit of  of junk, with more flaws and than the empire state building,,.. that makes be want to hang the guy who designed it.. and quality like a chinese pogo stick..
so looking at the swiss tool....... you can see.. two very different items.... one has flaws that can be fixed, the other  has got a cronic illness that cannot be fixed and must die.......

what can i say.. :D

Once again your stating stuff like its a fact when its just your opinion.    And not even a good one. IMO :multi:
Dennis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD