Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger original SAK from 1928?

Offline bingofuel

Wenger original SAK from 1928?
on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:13 PM
I was looking for some vintage alox Vics and came across this instead:

All the store knows is that it's a Wenger.  The other side of the blade is stamped Wenger, Delemont.  Does the 28 mean it was made in 1928?  The price is $200 (Canadian) dollars, but the owner said he's willing to negotiate.  I'm very tempted to buy it just for the sake of history.  Any thoughts?  Should I blow my next paycheck on it?  Would I need to do much to restore it to a better condition?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger original SAK from 1928?
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:27:00 PM
That is an old one.  I'm very cautious in advising on pricing as values seem to have increased rapidly recently.  The oldest one I have is '32 and its not in great condition; it cost me around £25 a couple of years ago.

Would I pay $200 for it, no, noway near but it does look to be in good order for its age and if it makes you happy :D

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:48:30 PM
I own two of them, one was given to me and the other I am keeping for my cousin (which lives in another state). So she will never see it again. When she ask where her knife is I will reply "What knife."

I like them but I believe that $200.00 is STEEP. I can see if it was in mint condition. It is a nice looking knife and if you buy it remember if you restore it to do it gently.

I knew this gentlemen that ran a coin shop and he would have people bring in old coins that they "polished" up, sometimes that will destroy their value.

So whatever price you are comfortable with then that is the price.

Def says: Since certain respected members of SOSAK now blame me for their various discoveries of new areas of SAK collecting, I am now issuing a warning.  Under no circumstances should you consider purchasing your first old Soldier because I can tell you with absolute certainty that it will not be your last!

Here is the whole article:  http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=35

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:18 PM
The price seems a bit steep, but old Soldiers really are special :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:09:37 PM
Yes, the 28 does mean 1928. Personally I don't think it is worth anywhere near $200. but then, beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.
T

Offline bingofuel

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:08:22 AM
I think I've beat the impulse and will let this go.  As much as I'd like it, I can't really justify dropping that kind of change in this day and age.  I'll start small and build my collection gradually, and save this for my midlife crisis.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:36 AM
 His asking price would be about $155 US.I wonder how much negotiating room he's built into the asking price.
I

Offline bingofuel

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:43 AM
I can't remember exactly, but I think he mentioned $160 (about $130 US) over the phone.  I received a PM that it's been there for a year, but just never uploaded online.  It's at S&R Knives in Toronto in case anyone is interested, www.srknives.com

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:40:51 AM
That's just a plain rip off.

I wouldn't go over $80.

I do like the oldies.  I do know why you want them.  Here's a pic showing some of mine:

"

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:48:55 AM
SOME of yours?!?!?! Sheesh

Interesting that the '28 model has no bottle opener.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:01 AM
That's just a plain rip off.

I wouldn't go over $80.

I do like the oldies.  I do know why you want them.  Here's a pic showing some of mine:

(Image removed from quote.)

:drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 04:14:26 PM
I can't remember exactly, but I think he mentioned $160 (about $130 US) over the phone.  I received a PM that it's been there for a year, but just never uploaded online.  It's at S&R Knives in Toronto in case anyone is interested, www.srknives.com

Over the years, I think Def personally paid for these guys' kids to go to college.  :D

I haven't yet visited them, but I think Def said they are great people. Def?
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:55:33 PM
I don't know why Tim wouldn't mention it (other than trying not to tout for business, so I'll do it for him) but he has one listed on his site: 

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=321&category_id=4ba60bfadf1b79f080867b9eecbb2b84&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1 

It may not be as quite as old but it's still a beauty and much more realistically priced.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Magic Bus

Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:29 PM
I'd really, really, really like one from 1958. Maybe one day  :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:58:47 PM

Over the years, I think Def personally paid for these guys' kids to go to college.  :D

I haven't yet visited them, but I think Def said they are great people. Def?

Not to make excuses for them, but remember that S&R are a retail establishment, one with an actual physical store space in a mall, and as such, their prices are higher as they have to pay for it all somehow. 

That having been said, while I will always support those guys, I would not pay anywhere near $200 for it, and here's why.  About five years ago, you were looking at a good $150 for one in good shape, and close to $100 for one in sad shape.  However, since they started making money, some folks decided to go around and snap up all the old ones they could find in hopes of making a killing on eBay with them, and they flooded the market.  Soon, old Soldiers in good shape could be gotten easily for as little as $30.  Since then the prices have drifted back up a little more, but I still would not expect to pay more than $75-100 for an old Soldier in good shape.  I would suggest that if you are that interested in owning a piece of history that you check with Tim at fveap@sosakonline.com and see what he has in stock.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%