Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Rescue Tool do you use, and why?

donvito · 114 · 46693

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
What Rescue Tool do you use, and why?
on: March 12, 2009, 09:00:55 PM
I personally don't use any, my current line of work does not require it. I do own a Benchmade Rescue Hook which has a nice design IMHO. My friend a Paramedic with FDNY has a Vic Rescue Tool on his duty belt that I gave him as a gift. 

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: What Rescue Tool do you use, and why?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
I personally don't use any, my current line of work does not require it. I do own a Benchmade Rescue Hook which has a nice design IMHO. My friend a Paramedic with FDNY has a Vic Rescue Tool on his duty belt that I gave him as a gift. 

I have finally used the Malice clip that benchmade gave me!

The other day I attached the rescue hook 5 to my jumbo versipack so now I have it everywhere I go :tu:

I wouldn't mind a ResQme to try out, but haven't found anyone who sells it yet
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:46:26 PM
My dad has a resQme and I think its a POS Once I went to a junkyard to test out the glass breaker and it failed to break any windows. Also the blade(Xacto type) can't be replaced.
(

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:09 PM
My dad has a resQme and I think its a POS Once I went to a junkyard to test out the glass breaker and it failed to break any windows. Also the blade(Xacto type) can't be replaced.
               Could be it possible that your Dad got a dud? I've heard a couple reputable organizations recommend them for keeping in vehicles?
I

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:15:19 PM
Its possible.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:58 PM
I picked up a few ResQmes recently for the missus, her friend and myself. I haven't tried the glass breaker, maybe I should?
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:18 PM

I have finally used the Malice clip that benchmade gave me!

The other day I attached the rescue hook 5 to my jumbo versipack so now I have it everywhere I go :tu:

I wouldn't mind a ResQme to try out, but haven't found anyone who sells it yet

EDCDepot carries them and ships internationally.  Plus, Marc is a great guy to deal with!

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=82

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:33 PM
My friend replaced his windshield a few days ago and saved the old one, one of these days we'll be putting his Rescue Tool to the test. Pics and possibly a video to follow.  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:44:12 PM
I'll be replacing mine soon too- and I had the same idea!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:46:50 PM

I'm guessing that you either had a dud or was not trying to break windows by using the breaker near the edges of the glass as it was intended.  They would not be able to sell this product if the glass breaker wasn't functional.

I carry a ResQMe with me at all times and so does the wife.
I'm back!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:47:42 PM

Def

Fools seldome differ  :D I'll be using heavy duty gloves, and eye protection  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:56:38 PM
Interesting idea- I'd planned to use a video camera and our health care system!  :D

87% of all accidental injuries in North America in males between the ages of 18 and 46 is the phrase "hey, watch this!"

Def

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:33 PM
Vic Rescue tool or Fireman  in the car.
R

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:36:59 PM
A cheap, spring loaded center punch that breaks glass very well, Vic Farmer, and a SwissTool RS.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:12 AM

I'm guessing that you either had a dud or was not trying to break windows by using the breaker near the edges of the glass as it was intended.  They would not be able to sell this product if the glass breaker wasn't functional.

I tried it in the middle of a side window once and nothing happened.
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:09:19 AM

I tried it in the middle of a side window once and nothing happened.

That's because you are meant to use it near the edge.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 12:15:51 AM
Mine works...  :ahhh

Def

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 12:17:52 AM
James McGowan is a professional firefighter in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Due to his passion for the outdoors, he started making “hard working knives” and joined the Canadian Knifemakers’ Guild in 1998. Drawing from his extensive real-life fire and rescue experiences, he has designed the CRKT production M.A.K.-1™ and Extrik-8-R™ emergency rescue tools, based on the day-to-day needs of professional firefighters, rescue workers, EMTs, police Special Response Teams, and military operators.

The M.A.K.-1™ (Multiple Access Knife) is a rescue and rapid entry knife, made of tough 3Cr13 stainless steel. It has a blunt chisel pry-bar tip for opening doors and windows and a Razor-Sharp knife edge suitable for heavy cutting or hacking tasks. The heavily textured and grooved G10 scales offer an aggressive grip and allow control when wearing gloves. They can be removed for cleaning.

The M.A.K.-1 gives two window-breaking options. A twist breaker groove allows controlled breaking of automobile side windows, while a carbide tip butt breaker allows smashing of building windows or automotive back glass. An 8mm groove functions as a wrench for disconnecting GM-style side terminal batteries. A reflective orange paracord lanyard is included. The satin finish M.A.K.-1 2050 comes complete with a custom Cordura® sheath which will hold a shove knife and an Extrik-8-R™ tool.

The M.A.K.-1 Tactical 2050K is a special model in non-reflective black Teflon® finish with a black lanyard and a custom multi-function Kydex® sheath.

The Extrik-8-R™ is a lightweight seat belt cutter and multi-tool. It has finger holes and grip grooves allowing use even with the heaviest gloves. It also has a rectangular relief which is sized to be an oxygen bottle wrench. James has added a simple blade screwdriver tip to one end, and Phillips screwdriver tip to the other end. The Extrik-8-R also has a hand-tied reflective orange paracord fob. It is available in satin and non-reflective black Teflon® finishes. A fitted Kydex® sheath is included which allows easy carry on belts or webbing.

The M.A.K.-1™ System includes the M.A.K.-1 2050 tool, Cordura Sheath, and a satin finish Extrik-8-R™. It makes the perfect rescue combination for anyone responding to an emergency scene.

Designed for military and police use, the M.A.K.-1™ Tactical System includes the black M.A.K.-1 2050K tool, Kydex Sheath, and a black Extrik-8-R™.

This is my personal choice to carry in my truck. It's multi purpose, built like a tank and can be used as a weapon in a tight situation.

With an overall length of 10" and 10 ounces in weight it can do work that other tools that are carried in a pocket or small belt pouch can't do.
In most rescue situations bigger is better.
I get to use / play with a number of rescue tools in my profession and this is one of the best to carry in a vehicle or in your turnout / bunker gear if you are a firefighter.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:26:01 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:54 AM

Def

Fools seldome differ  :D I'll be using heavy duty gloves, and eye protection  :cheers:

Buy a can of 3M spray adhesive and spray it on the outside of the glass ( any auto glass ) and it will prevent the glass from breaking into thousands of small pieces. Makes cleanup easier and safer ( super fast drying adhesive).

3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:24:37 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 12:27:37 AM
Many years ago when I started out in EMS and the fire service,the plethora of dedicated knives and tools were just about non-existant.Many firefighters,and EMTs carried with them a simple linoleun knife,the type that's hawkbilled shape.It was great for prying the chrome trim around windshields,and slitting the butyl rubber gasket that keeps windshields in place,
I

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:27:55 AM
Windshield are laminated and wouldn't break into little pieces and fly off, go ahead and document with video cam.  :)

I'm not a fan of those spring loaded thingy thou, I'd rather have a carbide tip on back of my knife handle, bet I can smack it a lot harder than the spring can. Too bad I've yet to come across a knife I like with it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:45 AM
I have the MAK-1 as well and I like it, but I think Ontario's SPAX is a better fit for my Jeep, as the axe could also be used in the woods.  Of course, if I had my way, I'd have both in it at all times!

Def

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 12:33:31 AM
Windshield are laminated and wouldn't break into little pieces and fly off, go ahead and document with video cam.  :)

I'm not a fan of those spring loaded thingy thou, I'd rather have a carbide tip on back of my knife handle, bet I can smack it a lot harder than the spring can. Too bad I've yet to come across a knife I like with it.

Vic disk (glass) saw works on a pull stoke and can send small bits of glass flying.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:26 AM
Heh I keep a pry bar between driver's seat and door on the floor, anyone asks it's for fixing stuff.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:35 AM
Thick aluminum shafted snow brush.... I'm sure the scraper blade can be used to distract someone in that situation...

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 07:18:19 AM
A Vic rescue knife for the car and a Swisstool or Spirit as my EDC . When on lifeboat duties its an Spyderco Atlantic Salt ( now carried on the boat ) and a Swisstool RS .I used to have a Spyderco Assist , great knife but I think the Vic Rescuetool offers more .

Dunc

us Offline David

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 05:07:05 PM
I`ve got a ResQME that I keep on a key ring and a EKI WWR in the pack. I plan to get a Vic Rescue Tool before long and give it a go. Looks like a great tool.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:47 PM
Heh I keep a pry bar between driver's seat and door on the floor, anyone asks it's for fixing stuff.  :D

You can fix alot of problems with a pry bar.   :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:36 PM
A Vic rescue knife for the car and a Swisstool or Spirit as my EDC . When on lifeboat duties its an Spyderco Atlantic Salt ( now carried on the boat ) and a Swisstool RS .I used to have a Spyderco Assist , great knife but I think the Vic Rescuetool offers more .

Dunc

Pics of my Vic RescueTool in its natural habitat in the car

Over the weekend I will take some pics of the Spyderco in the lifeboat .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 07:53:21 PM
I'd love to do that, but I just know I'd get stopped and searched.  :(
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24