Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket Rescue Tools PRT II - Glas Master

es Offline Gio_Luso

Pocket Rescue Tools PRT II - Glas Master
on: March 26, 2022, 12:41:54 PM
Hello!
Here is a good rescue tool by Eickhorn (Solingen (Germany): Pocket Rescue Tools PRT II - Glas Master

img237g.jpg
* img237g.jpg (Filesize: 117.72 KB)

img237f.jpg
* img237f.jpg (Filesize: 132.51 KB)

img237e.jpg
* img237e.jpg (Filesize: 93.7 KB)

Total (open): 206 mm.
Closed: 122 mm.
Blade: 84 x 2 mm.
Weight: 140 gr.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pocket Rescue Tools PRT II - Glas Master
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 03:23:51 PM
Heavy-duty workhorse!  Eickhorn used some of the best serrations in these, and they open rapidly, as well as being probably the best knife I own with gloves on. Definitely well thought out, despite being pretty obscure in the US.

I have the Skedco Warfighter Extreme Medic (bascially a PRT-IV plus oxygen tank key cutout in the blade). These were parts of some kits carried for MEDEVAC in some Blackhawk choppers and were being cleared out as like-new military surplus for as low as $30. Despite perfectly functional otherwise, I got the bright idea to take it apart to change the pieces of snap-off utility blade they used as a strap cutter (which had dulled from cutting a ton of baler twine and paracord), found that what they used was a non-standard size in the USA, and lost a couple of parts while in storage (I think a couple of screws and a spacer).

(Skedco's Photo)

The completely rounded blade on my model, however, is of limited utility. I bought it for emergency use, but found the knife itself great all-around.  Thinking about replacing it with a PRT II. The only Medic I found for the $35 I paid for mine was used; and that's a little high, as my knife was new; thus I'd be using the second one for parts.

es Offline Gio_Luso

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 04:55:17 PM
Heavy-duty workhorse!  Eickhorn used some of the best serrations in these, and they open rapidly, as well as being probably the best knife I own with gloves on. Definitely well thought out, despite being pretty obscure in the US.

I have the Skedco Warfighter Extreme Medic (bascially a PRT-IV plus oxygen tank key cutout in the blade). These were parts of some kits carried for MEDEVAC in some Blackhawk choppers and were being cleared out as like-new military surplus for as low as $30. Despite perfectly functional otherwise, I got the bright idea to take it apart to change the pieces of snap-off utility blade they used as a strap cutter (which had dulled from cutting a ton of baler twine and paracord), found that what they used was a non-standard size in the USA, and lost a couple of parts while in storage (I think a couple of screws and a spacer).

(Skedco's Photo)

(Image removed from quote.)

The completely rounded blade on my model, however, is of limited utility. I bought it for emergency use, but found the knife itself great all-around.  Thinking about replacing it with a PRT II. The only Medic I found for the $35 I paid for mine was used; and that's a little high, as my knife was new; thus I'd be using the second one for parts.

I agree, beautiful family of rescue knives. Very hard and pretty.
The aluminum of the comfortable handle.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 11:35:08 PM
The glass breakers look awkwardly placed.
- Steve

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 11:34:19 AM
Technically, that should not matter, it takes very little force to shatter tempered glass. Look at "Ninja Rocks" (plenty of videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrhyrjfOtA&ab_channel=TruckNerd
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 01:19:19 PM

+1

:think: :think:

Technically, that should not matter, it takes very little force to shatter tempered glass. Look at "Ninja Rocks" (plenty of videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrhyrjfOtA&ab_channel=TruckNerd

That is due to the material, I believe. I've seen videos where other things were thrown at the glass without damaging it.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 03:32:53 PM
That is due to the material, I believe. I've seen videos where other things were thrown at the glass without damaging it.
Laaate response :D

Yes, the material is important, but the ninja rocks (and other glass breaker videos) show that with the right material, not much force is needed, so the angle is not as relevant.

It also should be mentioned that the knife has Glas Master (an US based company that makes glass saws as seen in the logo) on it, and their trade-mark tool. So, this is either made for them by Eickhof for sale or as advertisement gift. Stands to reason that they have at least some idea about what is going on, possibly even tested the knife they put their brand on.  I mean giving a rescue tool (this knife) to a first-responder (the person most likely to actually use it in the field). That knife better works or he is never going to buy your tool.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I would take this as an endorsement of the knife.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 01:01:17 PM
The proper technique to use a glass breaker is to press it against a lower portion of the window, just above the door, with your weight behind it as much as possible while maintaining your balance, until the window shatters.  You are not meant to strike the center of the window forcefully with it.  If you strike with it at the center of the glass it may take several strikes to shatter the glass and it may also glance off the glass or get knocked out of your hand. :cheers:

es Offline Gio_Luso

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 07:32:23 PM
The proper technique to use a glass breaker is to press it against a lower portion of the window, just above the door, with your weight behind it as much as possible while maintaining your balance, until the window shatters.  You are not meant to strike the center of the window forcefully with it.  If you strike with it at the center of the glass it may take several strikes to shatter the glass and it may also glance off the glass or get knocked out of your hand. :cheers:

:tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 05:36:21 PM

Thanks for the tip. I haven't got one, but if/when I do, I'll try to go to a junkyard and test it on a real car glass window.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD