Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue tools at the ready!

gb Offline Crunchie64

Rescue tools at the ready!
on: January 10, 2023, 07:06:23 PM
I’ve been carrying a Skeletool RX and a Raptor fairly regularly while I’m at work. As a bus driver and night shift lone worker, you never know when you’re going to be first on the scene of a traffic incident.

I was certainly first on the scene today when a van flew out in front of me at a crossroads (my right of way) and I tagged the rear end at about 25mph.

The van spun into another van, with both taking heavy damage.

Out of the bus with a glass breaker ready in each hand, only to find one driver already climbing out through the passenger side, and the other driver sitting tight, but his door undamaged and even the electric window still working.

Luckily no serious injuries, and no work for the Leathermans today.

Photo of the pair from a cold snap a couple of weeks ago.

no Offline aicolainen

Re: Rescue tools at the ready!
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 11:10:00 PM
There is nice to know that we have some kind, selfless and prepared humans scattered around amongst us.

I also have a pair of Raptors in my EDC backpack and another in my SAR kit, so I’m hardly ever without one.
They aren’t that expensive, so to me it’s a worthwhile trade off, if it could mean the difference between being able to assist or not.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 08:18:38 AM
To make it even more essential, we have ambulance and paramedic strikes in the UK today, so help will take even longer to arrive than usual in the rural areas.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 01:38:12 PM
Good on you Crunchie  :salute:

I couldn't agree more about having the ability to be more than just an observer should an accident happen.

I usually have something in my top box on the bike either work related (such as my Surge) or, if on a social outing my Vic' RT. That said, I'll be on public transport for a few weeks until both the bike and I are roadworthy again  ::)
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:10:52 AM
I’d given my manager an earful a week earlier about our shortage of trained first aiders. We’ve currently got one for two hundred people.
That’s either better than it sounds because we work shifts, so don’t have 200 on at a time, or worse, because the first aider works shifts too, and was on annual leave on Christmas Eve when a member of staff collapsed on site.
I’m now booked on a three day first aid course next month…

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 04:49:33 PM
Well done, sir. I am glad your manager gave in. It is such an inexpensive "insurance" for the day it inevitably is needed. One thing is the safety of your coworkers and passengers, but also for situations where the company could be liable. First aid training really should be mandatory. You never know when you need it, like you experienced earlier this month. Good luck with your course! :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%