Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Rescue Tool do you use, and why?

donvito · 114 · 46618

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Re: What Rescue Tool do you use, and why?
Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 05:33:36 PM
ResQMe on my car key.
Raker Ring Tool on my house keys

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:55 PM
noithing for me which is worrying as the number of near misses ive had in cars lately is shocking! spend too much time being driven around
I

us Offline MrCoffee

• Coffee and Multitools - Proof there is a God.
Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:05 PM
Victorinox Fireman in Combo with my Leatherman SuperTool (or blast or wave or... well you know).
S

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 08:23:39 PM
Will get a resQme for the car keys. They are very cheap (10 Euro approx $7) so a good gift for a friend/family member too.
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

nl Offline Leathermodder

Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 05:35:06 PM
Resqme on the keychain, Houdini pro in the car along with a life hammer.

Couldn't find an introductionthread......sorry :oops:

Found it, should learn to use my eyes before I use my mouth.....
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,27107.0.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:47:11 PM by Leathermodder »

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 05:58:11 PM
In 30 years in the fire service and EMS I have never had to punch a window or cut a seatbelt. Most "rescue tools" are marketing gimmicks that are too bulky to carry and usually end up at the bottom of your bunker pockets gathering rust. Besides, when you show up to a call you bring a big truck full of toys anyway!
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #66 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:10 AM
last year a older women blew a red into on coming trafic she was hit in the drivers dore by a car going around 50mph i was at a red light 5 cars back and the only to stop i blocked off 2 lanes with my truck and me and my buddy jumped out to checked on the car that hit the older women because there was 2 younger children they were ok next i ran to the other car the womens car was totaled and her leg was pined in the dore her leg was broken and she was being choked my her belt so i used my spyderco persistans to cut the belt by this time my buddy started to squar off with some smurfty people taking pictures on there sell phones ems was on its way and we stayed with her untill they arived it took 30 minuts with the jaws of life to get her out of the care it was a life changing exsperyens i know carry a knife and or multi 24/7 and drive much safer i tryed to fined out were this poor women was taken but was unabloe to contact here and i have no clue how and if she recoverd

stay prapared

-taylor-
watch your step

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 06:35:47 AM
I've decided to buy my wife a Spyderco 93mm Assist for her minivan.  I'll make sure she clips it to her sun visor so it will always be easily accessible. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline 320

• New User
Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:26 AM
the jackmate for my hi-lift

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 02:34:43 AM
I haven't seen those before.  They look handy, I may have to try and find one. 

Welcome to the forum!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 05:15:53 AM
We've got a yellow ResQMe on our car keys.

I'm not sure if a one-hand Trekker counts as a rescue tool.

us Offline wildcatmo

Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:44 PM
Spyderco rescue Jr.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #72 on: May 30, 2013, 06:32:41 PM
In 30 years in the fire service and EMS I have never had to punch a window or cut a seatbelt. Most "rescue tools" are marketing gimmicks that are too bulky to carry and usually end up at the bottom of your bunker pockets gathering rust. Besides, when you show up to a call you bring a big truck full of toys anyway!
                                    sorry had to dig this post out

Agreed! Only once the need for a seatbelt to be cut was needed. All I had was Klein side cutters on my bunker pants. That was years ago. The need for a blade never came up again. The years at the department the only vehicle windows ever smashed were at training exercises. Even when the car doors were unlocked.

The Vic rescue tool is a little bit gimmicky. The main blade operates great in extraction gloves, but a little harder to fold back in with the small tab on the liner lock. I hope I'll never have to use it but it will serve well in the bunker coat.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 02:03:30 PM
I bought a resqme key chain after loosing my auto centre punch. I always seem to forget to use it even when its with me. I have a Wave on my belt at work everyday. I had left it at home for some time, until after some guys at work got trapped in their vehicle after a crash. I figure I could use the tip of the pliers to break the glass. I cut straps with it and got myself through some doors when poeple needed help in a hurry, plus its got all those other cool tools. I thought about getting a SAK Rescue tool recently, but really thats all it is. All the reviewers seem to say its great but no good for EDC.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

Offline cdv1962

Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 06:35:58 AM
I drive a passenger bus for a living, er I am semi retired and when my funds get short I dust off the old Commercial Drivers License with the passenger endorsement.

What I am trying to say is I am responsible for the safety of bus passengers, or my passengers are the loved ones of many other people, so I must be CAREFUL.  As such, I need to evacuate the bus, cut seat belts, and exit through windows, doors and ceiling vents when needed.  Most school districts have evacuation policies, and rules that must be followed.

And most students are very helpful during  fire and emergency drills.  School children are the most treasured cargo on American roads.  So, I have looked at rescue knives for functionality.  I like a couple.   

1) The Gerber Hinderer Rescue knife, for its blunted tip sharp belly serrations for cutting belts, window breaker extended away from the handle, and bulk and heftiness for disengaging wheel chair restraints. 

2) The Skedco Extreme Medicine  Rescue Knife.  This knife is great design that will cut a passenger's clothes without cutting the passenger.  The knife is hefty enough for must emergency tasks.

Both of these knives will perform well.  Buy them second hand to save some $$$$s.
Hinderer.JPG
* Hinderer.JPG (Filesize: 204.79 KB)
Skedco Extreme Medicine.jpg
* Skedco Extreme Medicine.jpg (Filesize: 6.77 KB)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:47:43 AM by cdv1962 »

Offline cdv1962

Reply #75 on: August 15, 2013, 06:43:37 AM
Pictures of the Gerber Hinderer, and Skedco Extreme Medicine®/Rescue Knife
Hinderer.JPG
* Hinderer.JPG (Filesize: 204.79 KB)
Skedco Extreme Medicine.jpg
* Skedco Extreme Medicine.jpg (Filesize: 6.77 KB)

Offline Daddeek

Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 10:03:37 PM
I keep a Benchmade Houdini in the car. I have yet to use the glassbreaker, which is spring-loaded, just like the ResQ Me, but I use the knife for all kinds of things, like cutting wristbands after a trip to the state fair.

I keep a Colonial Tat Cutter on my during waking hours. It's on a length of paracord, fastened with a breakaway connector. Right next to it is a brass washer, into which I have stamped my blood type, my emergency phone number, and "NKA."

--Al

us Offline afi1

Reply #77 on: November 27, 2013, 01:59:31 AM
I carry a Houdini Pro on my belt at work.  I've carried it for a year, and used both the cutter and glass breaker.  I did not cut a seat belt, though, but a shirt off of a shooting victim. The glass breaker was not used in a rescue either, but in the extraction of a suspect from a locked vehicle.  Both functions work as advertised. 

Offline komalsharma

Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:22 PM
Master Cutlery tool that i had is Hi-Vis Yellow Rescue Knife that i was used as cutting tool .

us Offline Mango808

Reply #79 on: January 04, 2014, 03:30:13 PM
I carry a Kershaw Blur Rescue on me most of the time. Has a round tip for safety and prying, half serrated blade and a carbide tip in the bottom of the knife for glass breaking.

In my truck door pocket I have a Gerber Hinderer Rescue Knife and Gerber Gut Hook.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:49:09 PM by Mango808 »

us Offline dipti

Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 06:51:34 AM
I personally love Police Rescue knife as they are compact and easy to use. These are folding knives actually which can be used in hunting or for cooking purposes. A great asset for rescue knives!!!!
POLICE-RESCUE-KNIFE-1_1024x1024.jpg
* POLICE-RESCUE-KNIFE-1_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 472.06 KB)
My never ending love for tomahawks

00 Offline cedricada

Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 10:41:19 AM
Just ordered a LM Zrex for my work gear, I'll see how it goes I guess. I like how it looks, thougg

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 11:03:35 PM
i carry vic rescue tool since i bought it, also medical shears of course. on long term field operations i always carry a pliers based multitool like lm st200 for mechanical works, generators, o2 tanks etc.

i like vic rescue tool, it is a dedicated folding knife for rescue, can be used easily with thick work gloves. most used tool for me is seat-belt-cutter blade, safe cutter for fabric, ropes etc. glass breaker is useful, have no situation to try the disc saw. has a good sheath for wide belts.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 04, 2014, 11:44:37 PM
Ronald McDonald called and he wants his sheath back.LOL.

Ronald.jpg
* Ronald.jpg (Filesize: 211.05 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:52 PM
My wife and I both carry a ResQme on our car keys. I tested both of them and both glass breakers and seatbelt cutters work fine. Im thinking about giving some away as Christmas presents this year.

I love the look of those Vic Rescue Tools! Might have to get one!
darren

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 07:24:57 AM
Ronald McDonald called and he wants his sheath back.LOL.

FUNNY!  :rofl:

Probably the number one reason why I have not bought one is because of that sheath. The glowing scales is a great idea. Bur I don't know a single self respecting Paramedic who would wear a blight red sheath. I might get one some time if I can get a yellow one with a black sheath.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

Offline flipe8

Reply #86 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:19 PM
I've got one of those ResQme tools in my car and carry a Wilson Tactical CopTool in my bunkers at work that was a gift from True North Knives. I've used it for years now and find it very useful as a pry tool to create a purchase point for larger tools, but not the greatest at cutting.

us Offline David

Reply #87 on: December 06, 2014, 09:16:31 PM
Just got this On Duty 4 in 1 Emergency Tool. Its light, has some handy features, didnt cost much. I like it. It'll go into the pack or truck. It reminds me of the old Diamond All-Purpose Tool. Also a pic with the County Comm CERT Bar.
on duty 008.JPG
* on duty 008.JPG (Filesize: 82.23 KB)
on duty 012.JPG
* on duty 012.JPG (Filesize: 81.89 KB)
on duty 018.JPG
* on duty 018.JPG (Filesize: 81.79 KB)
on duty 020.JPG
* on duty 020.JPG (Filesize: 80.71 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #88 on: December 07, 2014, 03:35:26 PM
I just gave one of those 4-in-1 tools to a friend for her birthday. She just finished her CERT training and had it on her wish list.

us Offline David

Reply #89 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:27 PM
I just gave one of those 4-in-1 tools to a friend for her birthday. She just finished her CERT training and had it on her wish list.

8)     :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD