Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tread Owners Club

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Tread Owners Club
on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:08 AM
Guess I'm the first?

Won this from Leatherman's Father's Day contest. Official release to be determined.

:viking: Had to battle UPS and faulty addresses, so went down to the local UPS hub and tracked it down and brought it home.  Tread does fit a 9 inch wrist via a standard band. Since I have a 9.5 inch wrist it was a tad snug (see photo). Added a slimmer link and there's working room now. :D
DSC06204.JPG
* DSC06204.JPG (Filesize: 184.65 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Tread Owners Club
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:18 AM
You might not be the first but it's still very cool that you won it.  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Wedding present from my new bride!

Out on a hike in Portland last week:

(Image removed from quote.)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:08 AM
I would love to see a thorough review of these, just to see what people here think of its capability.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:51:26 AM
I would love to see a thorough review of these, just to see what people here think of its capability.

I use all my tools at one point or another, so will give a run-down at some point. The watch version would be very interesting and probably would have less tools than the non-watch versions. Am guessing at some point Leatherman may sell the watches as accessories. Will be interesting to see what develops as far as accessory links. Am guessing star bits will be available some day?

One think I'd like to see is a 1/4 inch link that would have a security bit for the Charge/Wave and other tools if different sizes. Something like this, however, might have to be machined by someone from MTO or something.  >:D

Another recommendation would be for Leatherman to add a file like surface on the wrist-backing clasp to facilitate a match striker / nail file. As for the closer, not sure why Leatherman's developers did not put a spring ball on both sides for longevity. All the 1/4 inch sockets I've seen could accept a dual spring ball grasper.

So far I haven't pinched myself with it, nor pulled any arm hairs out.

Would like to find an 'on the spot' laser engraver to put in 'No Worries' on the solid glass breaker link.

Oh, and it's warm to wear in the summer. Would probably me more comfortable to wear in cooler climates.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:46:00 PM
That is cool looking.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline GreenCo

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:57 PM
I like that they are coming out with this but it's definitely not something I'd personally wear around.  That's not to say it isn't a cleaver idea and many may like it and find it useful.  I think where they are off on this one is the price, listed at $165 USD.   And that is without the watch.  You have to be kidding me.   

us Offline pauliedoggs

• What's brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!!
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:22:53 AM
I like that they are coming out with this but it's definitely not something I'd personally wear around.  That's not to say it isn't a cleaver idea and many may like it and find it useful.  I think where they are off on this one is the price, listed at $165 USD.   And that is without the watch.  You have to be kidding me.
I'm with you on this one.

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:43 AM
Can't wait! I have mine pre-ordered from KnifeCenter.

us Offline pauliedoggs

• What's brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!!
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 07:03:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I totally want one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 02:03:56 AM
Love mine, wear it just about every day.  It's pulled a few hairs here and there, but that's inevitable.  My only real gripe so far has been that when you're even a little sweaty, it definitely can get a little uncomfortable, but that's just my own tactile-sensations.  I really love it overall.  It gets tons of comments.  I'd really like to see them put out a link with spoke wrenches for cyclists.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:05:41 AM by Jand3rson86 »

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 04:22:03 AM
  Well.. technically there is a watch on the standard Tread. Just need a lil bit on ingenuity.. like a stick or something. Point your hand towards North, and walla!  :whistle:

Course a nifty lil' one like this in a link might be albeit sillier..  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:40 AM
I'm going to be getting a new G-Shock soon, and modifying my Tread to fit the face to it.  It's been about 8 years since my last one (only watch I ever buy, and I've owned 5 in my life), so I'm getting a nice one this time...

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:09 AM
  Was looking at one of them Casio solar titanium triple sensor watches, though not sure if the watch case is made of titanium or the usual resin materials. Will have to wait for when my income improves.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 09:13:33 AM
  Tread comes undone far too easily when working around objects. Even caught a cantaloupe in the field today that unlatched the Tread - though the boss threw that melon in hard. Earlier had my hands full and reached down to turn off a power strip - out flopped the Tread.

There should be dual ball-springs on each side, or something to make up for the slack in the latching mechanism. Sure glad I didn't buy this thing. It's cute, I like wearing it. Yet that latch is too loose. It's more flimsy than the Crunch's mechanism is. Not sure why no one else has brought it up.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 04:21:34 PM
I would love to be able to contribute to this thread, but my preorder from Knifecenter hasn't shipped yet...

us Offline Roche

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 03:17:17 PM
OK, here's a cool idea. 

Buy a couple Treads and link them together to create a memorable wedding garter belt.   :drool:

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 11:22:05 PM
The design guys actually did that and made a regular belt when they were still developing it, it actually looked pretty rad. 

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 03:50:30 AM
The general retail release date of this thing keeps slipping. First, leatherman.com said "August," then it said "September," now it says "this fall." Anyone have any more information as to exactly when it's coming, or what the holdup is?

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 08:40:56 AM
The general retail release date of this thing keeps slipping. First, leatherman.com said "August," then it said "September," now it says "this fall." Anyone have any more information as to exactly when it's coming, or what the holdup is?
My last information is it will come end of september / first week in october - in Germany.
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 09:06:53 PM
Interesting. Well, I suppose that makes it likely we'll see it here in the States ~1-2 weeks earlier than that, perhaps. I've wondered if the delay is due to them making any sort of last minute changes? For example, I know the cutting hook/SIM pick tools are significantly changed from the prototype, and according to early reviews, there are a few other parts that could use some improvement, such as the hollow pin in the buckle and the looseness of the clasp/socket driver. One can only hope, I suppose...

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 06:51:47 AM

Best birthday ever, first present is a spyderco. Then I open this, I guess everyone knows why I'm marrying her. In a camping weekend at that. I love it, tools are very easy use and feels comfortable. I was a doubter when I first saw them, slowly grew on me. Now that I own one, must have.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 12:07:13 AM
The black one:

Yeah, it's heavy and clumsy to use. But it's BLACK!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Offline TiCombat

Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 01:46:43 AM
Imagine a belt version

ca Offline rovot

Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:09:16 AM
Well, I have it for awhile now. Got lucky on craigslist and bought one for CAD 150.
Very slightly used but no box whatsoever.

Initial thoughts, I like it as a bracelet. The tools in it is a Plus, but it didn't replace the wave on my pocket. Never really used the TREAD on anything serious yet, except for the box cutter. I consider it as a accessory with benefits (more like in a situation when you don't have your wave with you.) Bottom line, at SRP, i will not buy it, but at a bargain price, why not.

I asked leatherman for a box and they sent me one for FREE. Talk about awesome customer service right there.

And, it was on TV just last sunday at the walking dead preview of the next half of season 6. with one of Negan's posse.

+1 to coolness  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:16:21 AM by rovot »

us Offline leathermon

Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 06:43:04 AM
I have actually used it as a bottle opener quite a bit. Used it on short screws, and definitely not as awkward as I initially thought. I would wear it to work more, but it sets off the metal detector and was a pain in the arse. Anyone have any problems with it on airplanes?

us Offline leathermon

Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 06:44:19 AM
Just had a great idea, if I can find what I did with them, I will try and make a Keychain tool out of the spare links.

ca Offline rovot

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 07:11:22 AM
Just had a great idea, if I can find what I did with them, I will try and make a Keychain tool out of the spare links.

Seems like a good idea :tu:. I have small wrist, so initially, i took off 2 1/2 of the links, but decided
to put back the 1/2 link cause i figured that's gonna be more useful in time. Got used to it hanging
a little loose on the wrist.

I'm planning to buy additional links (steel and some more black) to build another one. Leatherman told me to watch out for it this month. They're on pre-order now here in my area.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 02:04:30 PM
Oh man! The black ones look really sharp!
Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 03:53:53 PM

Nice idea, it'd be a more robust version of the Victorinox Quattro driver.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 12:53:55 PM
Transplanted my Core straps with the Tread.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24