Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

The Break Room / Re: Who else is playing Wordle?
« Last post by LoopCutter on Today at 03:14:04 PM »
Wordle 1,067 3/6

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I thought I got it on the second attempt, then it took me a time to think about different / correct word!

I thought of you as well, then said no and chose another for 2nd pick.

World puzzle!
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by David on Today at 03:12:32 PM »
Michael May Lamb.

Looking good!   :like:
Edged Tools / Re: Micarta Monday !
« Last post by LoopCutter on Today at 03:11:09 PM »
 :iagree:  😎
Gerber Tools / Re: Gerber Mp600 owners club ;)
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 03:06:24 PM »
Great job Antti!
The Break Room / Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
« Last post by Vidar on Today at 03:00:29 PM »
My experience has been that for durability and ease of repair, manual and mechanical wipe the floor with automatic and electric/electronic every time.

We can certainly agree on that. And less gadgetry and less things to go wrong would also cause reliability to increase. On the flip side people often prefer and pay extra for comfort and automatics over long term reliability and ease of repair.

To the EVs credit there are fewer parts that can fail. Last time our car was at the biyearly checkup the feedback from the mechanic was that the car would live forever. Apart from wear parts that might be truish mechanically, but I fully do expect electronics to cause issues at some point in the future. I aim to get 10 good years out of the car, and so far it is looking good. Any good life after that I'll consider bonus.

So, even with having to transfer the hose between tanks, that process would take less than five minutes. Assuming I don't pick up a soda and Pilot pizza :drool: or make a head call, I'd be back on the road in about ten minutes, ready to drive another ~650 miles. (Of course, that assumes the good ol' 300 cubic-inch inline six was delivering the economy Ford claimed it would.) I'd also have the ability to carry a fuel can just in case I wouldn't have made it to a gas station.

Before we got the electric car range and recharge times were big concerns for us. It has turned out though that those factors are almost irrelevant for us. The range is more than enough for all our normal driving needs (say 98%), and extra range would for the most part only mean that we would charge once per 6 days instead of say once per every 8 day. We charge at home overnight so it makes no difference at all. (And compared to our old car we save time by not having to stop at petrol stations). When we do go far enough that we need to charge at charging stations we combine that with shopping, eating or sleeping. In short our experience is that range and charging speeds aren't really issues for us.

Of course others might have different driving needs and experiences. My personal gripe with media though is that when it comes to electric cars they are disproportionally focused on range, charging speeds and acceleration. In daily life I can't say any of those make any difference to me - the actual driving experience though puts a smile on my face.

There is another pitfall of EVs: seeing to it that their operators contribute to upkeep of public roadways. That's an easy enough thing to do with ICE vehicles.

Taxation would be different in different countries and there are so many different ways to do it. If it is one thing I trust though that it is that politicians will add taxes as needed and then some. I have no worry that EVs will not get to pay their share.  :D

One other thought: one of my favorite local news anchors recently gave a report about EVs causing a surge in demand for copper. Per that report, an electric Honda Accord used four or five times as much copper as a gasoline Accord. And the process of getting a copper mining permit approved is lengthy: 20 years.

Only four or five times? I would have guessed more. Either way I expect recycling will help so the resource isn't as much "used up" as "borrowed".  (I can confirm those 20 years to start a copper mine from a local project here).

I stand behind my previous assertion that electrification en masse is not the best option.

We can agree on that. People have different needs.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: A First For Me -- BYPX
« Last post by Brock O Lee on Today at 02:57:38 PM »
Faaantastic!   :hatsoff:

That edge needs a bit of tender loving care too if I am not mistaken? :think: :whistle:
« Last post by Frailer on Today at 02:56:56 PM »
Excellent!

IMG_0655.jpg
* IMG_0655.jpg (Filesize: 101.87 KB)
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by Gareth on Today at 02:42:33 PM »
Michael May Lamb.
« Last post by Myron on Today at 02:38:08 PM »
Thanks guys!   1965 isn't a particularly hard year to find (especially if you just want a user/carrier) and I have both red scaled and silver scaled specimens in mint condition, as well as both Wengers and Vx's all from 1965 in my permanent collection.  There wasn't anything particularly special about this knife and the price was right, so I decided to build my BYPX. 

@Jazz, I'm a March baby.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD