Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: See-through Sunday
« Last post by Jeffjeeptj on May 06, 2024, 07:10:21 PM »
Gary - Has anyone ever accused you of being a smart aleck?  OR, an instigator?

I’m still enjoying your posts.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Pioneer x defect or design?
« Last post by AzteCypher on May 06, 2024, 07:09:58 PM »
I haven't noticed that on my 2023 model.  Mine seems to be good so far.
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Rich_SD on May 06, 2024, 07:06:34 PM »
Day 6

The Evolution of my Pocket Tool

My first pocket tool was a Buck 505 that I purchased at the Base Exchange in the 80’s.  I worked in a large computer room, and I needed a knife to open countless paper boxes we used for all of our daily printouts. Back then, the Air Force was pretty strict about not carrying anything in your pockets that would make your uniform pockets bulge even the slightest bit (including your keys). That’s why I went with such a small knife, and it served me faithfully for many years.  I broke the tip off of the blade while working on my car one day, but I continued to use it with a broken tip for years. Note: in the pic, the blade looks new because I recently sent it in to Buck to get the blade replaced.

In the early 90’s, I retired my Buck and replaced it with a Victorinox Classic that I received as swag from a WordPerfect vendor at an industry conference.  Swag in those days was pretty nice! I was no longer opening boxes in a base-level computer room, so the much lighter and thinner blade of the Classic was fine.  I really fell in love with the scissors and nail file – trimming my nails was a primary job of that tool.  You can tell by the pic that I carried and used it for a long time.

In ’97, or maybe it was ’98 – I am horrible with dates, someone at work was passing out Leatherman Micras.  I didn’t think I needed it, but what the hell, it was free.  I started using it instead of my Classic, and I was blown away.  The scissors were much better than my Classic, and I loved the extra tools which were all much sturdier than the Classic.

I carried that Micra for about 20 years!  Honestly, it’s a miracle that I didn’t lose it.  It fell out of my pocket at the beach TWICE!  I remember running around the surf with my friends and spotting a half buried Micra in the sand… I picked it up, then realized that it was my Micra that had popped out of my pocket.  And because I don’t learn my lessons well, I dropped it in shallow water on another day... I quickly spotted it underwater due to the sun's reflection on the stainless steel before it was buried by the surf.  I even used the blade to perform “minor surgery” on myself to remove the mother-of-all splinters.  The blade is still stained from the flame I used to sterilize it.

I retired that original Micra in 2018.  Since then, I have been carrying the one I have been sharing in all of the other pics.  I have also purchased several other Micras, but none of those were daily carries.

General Tool Discussion / Re: What tool did you carry today?
« Last post by Antti Lammi on May 06, 2024, 07:05:57 PM »
A light and unusual carry for me today.
Nice carry customod

Only Tools Matters

General Tool Discussion / Re: Kansept Main Street Giveaway
« Last post by AzteCypher on May 06, 2024, 07:01:31 PM »
Wow!  Very cool of them indeed! 

My favorite EDC item is my Super Tinker.

General Tool Discussion / Re: What tool did you carry today?
« Last post by customod on May 06, 2024, 07:00:41 PM »
A light and unusual carry for me today.
Reviews / Gatco Ultimate Diamond Sharpening System
« Last post by David Bowen on May 06, 2024, 06:58:11 PM »
When looking for a good guided angle system there's lots of factors involved. Quality, warranty, support, and price are just a few of the things I look for. One such system that garners my attention, and meets this criteria is Gatco Ultimate Diamond Sharpener. You know I can't review a product without digging into company history, it wouldn't be one of my reviews right? The companies website claims they've been in business for over two decades, with the company being purchased by Bear and Sons Cutlery November 14, 2016. But that's not the whole truth, thanks to Sal Glesser from Spyderco I've learned some Gatco lore. The original system was invented by Mr. Ray Longbrake back in the late 70's. Called the "Loray" sharpener. Arthur "Lansky" Levine was a distributor of Loray's. Ray and Aruthur had a falling out and Arthur tooled up and created the "Lansky" version. John Anthon was the Sales manager for Lansky. John and Arthur had a falling out and John created GATCO and tooled up his version.

This style of system has been around since the late 1970's. It's a design that's been upgraded over the last decade, thanks in part to the popularity of modern powder steels. The hard vanadium carbides in many of these steels are harder than common abrasives like aluminum oxide, which makes sharpening more difficult. Diamonds aren't just a girl's best friend, making sharpening a reprofiling easier than traditional stones. Being around for roughly 45 years it was time for an upgrade.

Because this sharpener has a long name, I'm going to refer to it as the Gatco Ultimate. The system comes in a very nice storage case, that seems quite durable. The lock is a little hard to disengage, but I would rather that be the case than not wanting to stay shut. The blue color is eye catching and will potentially keep the system from being misplaced. Opening it up your greeted with a well organized case, each having a molded compartment to keep things from moving around. Included in the case is:

Clamp
Alumina ceramic hone
Specially formulated oil
Coarse diamond
Med diamond
Fine diamond

There's no grit ratings or anything so it's hard to say how big of a jump there is in grits. As for the oil, some diamond products claim they don't need any lubricant but oil or water does held float steel particles, and keeps the diamond plates from becoming clogged. I'm also using a Gatco Easy Grip Clamp Mount. This will allow me to hold the system on a table rather than holding it by the clamp only. It's a small detail but I felt would make the world a difference.

Putting your knife in the clamp is done by loosening the thumb screw closest to the end, enough so that the spine of the knife will fit. Tighten that thumb screw, then unscrew the other screw towards the rear of the clamp. This causes pressure to increase towards the jaws locking the knife in place. Like with any clamped system, make sure your edge is centered equally. The angle guide has markings for 11°-30°, which to me is quite odd . I would expect angles I'm used to like a 17 or a 20° angle. Instead the numbers feel out of place and challenge what I feel a guided sharpener should have. Of course I'm used to systems that have a range with infinite adjustments in between min and max angles. This makes dialing in your exact angle easy, and helps those who wish to maintain the factory angle. To use a system like the Gatco Ultimate, your going to have to choose an angle close to what's originally on the knife, and change the angle to a new one specified by the system. I'm chosing 22° because it's close to factory angle, and may make my edge a little more robust.

The diamond plates that comes with the Gatco Ultimate are far better than those on similar systems. The rods that guide abrasive plates are thicker than the competition preventing any unwanted flexing. Rather than being a part you attach to the abrasive holders they're built right in. They are even telescopic  making them longer than others, and they collapse for storage. This makes it a huge improvement and helps keep those angles true. The abrasive holders are super comfortable with an area molded to hold onto during use. The plates are fairly wide, which leads to better coverage, and shorter work of sharpening.

Like most diamond products these were super aggressive out the gate but mellowed out after some use. They made short work of reprofiling the edge, and setting my new angle. I have been using the honing oil for the plates as well as the ceramic hone to make cleaning the plates easier. Progressing through the grits the Gatco Ultimate did a good job at refining the scratch pattern on the blade. The Alumina Ceramic hone is a finishing stone, it didn't do a great job at polishing but did help smooth things out. The Easy Grip was super helpful in keeping the Gatco Ultimate steady. There is some wiggle in the Grip so I would have to use my thumb to keep things from moving. This moving does not interrupt the angle, it's just an inconvenience. The finished product is an edge that's sharp, and cleaned up to a near polished finish. The knife I did today is an old Schrade that I've had a hard time getting a good edge on. The Gatco Ultimate made short work of the task and delivered with exceptional results.

The Gatco Ultimate is a very good implementation of a design that's stood the test of time. The diamond plate make short work of your sharpening regardless of steel type. I found the abrasive holder easy to hold, and it's width really made a difference. When sharpening there's side to side movement due to the channel in which the rod angles are set. It doesn't mess with your angle but can be annoying. The clamp holds your knife well with no movement when locked down. Flipping the system into the Grip made it feel like a KME or similar without the extra features. Overall it's a great system, I recommend it, but for the price you could get a Work Sharp Precision Adjust with more functionally.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Gerber Tools / Re: MP Mondays!
« Last post by Barry Rowland on May 06, 2024, 06:46:38 PM »
 :like: :like: Holidays are always great days Surge!  I'm actually participating today... Mondays usually slip by me  :facepalm:
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by Gareth on May 06, 2024, 06:31:37 PM »
Cheers gents. :hatsoff: There are a few knives I regret bothering to buy, but this is definitely not one of them. 
Yup, today is Rosy’s first B-day!
Here’s a pic from back when we got her mid Oct and ones from today,,
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60