Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

That's a really good price
Cheap and Cheerful (or otherwise!) / Re: Harbor Freight Wave clone video
« Last post by IMR4198 on Today at 08:28:42 PM »
Listed as in stock at my local HF.  $39.99.  I haven't gone to see.  Best wishes.  G
 :)
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by SteveC on Today at 08:26:47 PM »
Thanks Adam !   :cheers:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Explorer Challenge May 2024
« Last post by Antti Lammi on Today at 08:11:41 PM »
Day 26 of 30

Used scissors to remove tag from my daughters new shoes

Only Tools Matters

Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by MTSAK on Today at 08:04:26 PM »
Day 26 of 30:
Used the flat driver to scrape and pry old caulk so I can recaulk the bathtub
Nice.
The Break Room / Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
« Last post by Vidar on Today at 07:12:45 PM »
TL; DR version: we need to put a lot more focus on making drivers safer.

The bit with safer cars just rubs me the wrong way. A lot of the safety features mandated by the government can be annoying, and that's the least of the worries.

I don't think of it as an either this or that - we clearly need both safer cars and better drivers. Better drivers will help reduce accidents, but we will never actually have perfect drivers. Human errors will continue to happen. Even if we had perfect drivers who never did mistakes accidents would still happen for other reasons. So I agree better drivers are important, but I also think it is only part of the solution. The cars themselves can help with (sensible!) active systems to prevent accidents in the first place, and good protection if accidents do happen.

I think mandated safety measures like seat belt, airbags and crash tests have proven themselves. What I don't agree with are these new smart functions who actually don't always work. For instance in the EU new cars are now required to have a lane following feature which will try to steer you back if it thinks you are going the wrong way. This is the most horrible smurf thing ever in winter conditions - it mistakes ice edges, snow tracks and who knows what as lanes. And thus it might randomly decide to try and steer you left or right at its own sudden whim. If you have oncoming traffic or very slippery conditions the last thing you need is for the car to start steering off in odd directions. I'm quite certain this "safety" feature has caused accidents and will continue to do so - it probably works fine on well marked tarmac roads (near the legislators), but they made it a requirement everywhere..

You can turn if off, but it only stays off until you turn the car on again. Then it will be back on again. I believe all cars sold after 2021 or 2022 is required to have this madness.

Wanted to check this out when I went to HF for a few things yesterday, but they didn't have it. Kinda bummed now.

A little iffy on the switch to LM-style bits, I like that most of the other clones can take my "regular" bits.  If this means that we start getting cheaper/more available flat bits, I'll feel a lot better. It does also help keep the weight down and squeeze everything in. Appreciate the tab trick, and build quality/weight comparison, a lot of the other clones I've handled are substantially heavier and poorly finished.
I’ll echo Gary’s suggestion about usage. Action shots are great. I love seeing how different implements on different models are used. 

Some of us also keep a running tab of tools used in a single model challenge. I think some folks have kept track of different models used in a category challenge like this one. 

Last year there were a lot of neat older alox models some users and some safe queens we were excited to see.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Alox forever!
« Last post by zenostoic on Today at 06:43:00 PM »
Mine's a user/carrier as well!!

(Image removed from quote.)
Hi Myron, I'm curious how you find the Damast blade on the Vics.. are they sharper, or hold the edge longer and what about rust resistance and ease of sharpening?

PS: too many questions i guess, but I haven't come across anyone who has a Damast Victorinox and also uses it !!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%