Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by chip on Today at 06:59:50 PM »
More Ebony.  A.Wright Ettrick.

That is beautiful, the ettrick intrigues me,
Who long is the blade? I am not sure if it is a smaller blade or just looks so due to the longer handle.
Gerber Tools / Re: Gerber CD Plier Head Material?
« Last post by IMR4198 on Today at 06:52:06 PM »
   Nice photos.  Best wishes Gary (IMR)
 :like:
Gerber Tools / Re: Gerber CD Plier Head Material?
« Last post by Kenobi1 on Today at 06:49:23 PM »
Hello and, welcome! IIRC, the steel used is 420, which is similar to the one used by SOG and Learherman's. It's probable that, as you said "it is just a smaller sample size leading to fewer pictures of broken units", particularly the CD. What little I know from browsing is that most fails/breaks are on the tips of the MP 400/600 series, being the most models sold from Gerber (but still a smaller number than Leatherman's or Vic's), probably from twisting (same as with leatherman's); I've seen an occasional full jaw fail at the cutters cutout. The other major fail of Gerber models are their replaceables cutters but, since they're not really integral to the tool, does not physically affect them (the company's and/or tool image is another story judging by the comments/reports on the web). I own MP 400, 600 and CD's and really like them for what they are and the ability to modify/customize them to my hearts content; my only broken tools in over 10 years of ownership had been a small flat driver from attempting to remove a seized derailleur screw (later converted to a mini awl) and a pair of the tungsten carbide cutters with a wheel spoke (replaced with HSS cutters and no more issues); one of the CD's have slightly crooked jaws but they do not limit or affect gripping performance at all, just aesthetically.

Thanks for the thoughtful and highly substantive response. I’m liking my CD the more I inspect and use it. I was initially skeptical about quality control due to my experience with other deeper products and components, mostly manufactured overseas, but the CD looks to be a completely different animal as far as the amount of care that is put into its manufacture. For example, even the plunge grind on the main blade is way more precise than I would expect on a product of this price. I’m very impressed how it compares to my other multitools. 
« Last post by LoopCutter on Today at 06:39:40 PM »

IMG_5943.jpg
* IMG_5943.jpg (Filesize: 137.8 KB)

Two Warncliff 6.5 Bone Stag

The Warncliff blades are more versatile for me with the standard clip point.

The Mini could see more duty for dress up occasions😉
Leatherman Tools / Re: Magnacut steel- how tough is it?
« Last post by catmandu on Today at 06:38:45 PM »
Gotta remember to use D2 next time…..
« Last post by David on Today at 06:34:15 PM »
More Ebony here also.
« Last post by David on Today at 06:32:47 PM »
More Ebony.  A.Wright Ettrick.

Sweeeeeet!    8).   :like:
Leatherman Tools / Leatherman Fuse Kydex belt sheath
« Last post by catmandu on Today at 06:30:04 PM »
New forum member, but have been carrying a multi tool for 30+ years.
I’m looking for a Kydex belt clip sheath for my Leatherman fuse. I’ve searched and none of the ads list As fitting a Fuse. Does another model have the same footprint?
Please share what you know and thanks in advance.

Paul
 :like: Lots of great ideas here.

Some of my thoughts

I like the idea of an obvious color code for the bladeless line - or maybe a change in shape of some sort - I read somewhere that the the entre Evo line is going by the way side... so they can use that size / shape platform for the bladeless tools.    Red has been the classic color supposedly because it is easily identified if dropped in the snow.  I would suggest the color Blurple (blue-purple), which has been very popular in modern folding knives lately.  That color would achieve the same benefit.

Including the package opener would be a great idea

It bugs me that the authorities will get to debate whether or not the awl counts as a weapon.  I use this tool quite a bit and would want on on a bladeless SAK.  And it they decide that an awl is a weapon, then so is a pencil. 

Now, on to what tools I would want - saw, scissors, magnifier lens, bottle opener and cap lifter

I would buy a bladeless SAK for sure.  I've been a Swiss Army Knight for years, and carried a multitool for some 23 years now.  But a few years ago, I started seeing the advantage of a separate blade - I had a Buck in my pocket on a camping trip (as I had discussed on a the outdoor forum years ago) and found it to be more comfortable to use than the SAK that I had in my other pocket.  Since then I have dabbled in folding knives, and would enjoy the flexibility of a SAK-Folder combo that suits the days activities.   I could have a bladeless SAK for the city,  A bladeless SAK and an Ontario RAT for camping, and a bladeless SAK and something else for the town  :think:
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Three Layer Thursday!
« Last post by SurgeUk on Today at 05:34:36 PM »
Took this of the Mechanic yesterday but fell asleep before posting (damn early shifts  ::))

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%