Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

General Tool Discussion / Re: Kansept Main Street Giveaway
« Last post by PitCarver on Today at 12:53:49 AM »
I'll play along too.

My favorite EDC item has to be my Victorinox Alox MiniChamp.
Reviews / Kansept Fenrir
« Last post by David Bowen on Today at 12:50:54 AM »
Kansept collaborates with numerous designers, some of whom are well-known and others who are gaining recognition. One designer who has just retired from the US Coast Guard is Greg Schob, who is getting back into knife making. Greg Schob is a metal fabricator by trade, and he began making knives about 6 years ago. He enjoys making knives, leather, and anything EDC related. Greg collaborated with Kansept to make the Fenrir model.

The Fenrir has grabbed me just about more than any other knife lately. I review a lot of knives, but there's some that make you truly appreciate the design. Kansept has many different flavors of the knife, but the one that stood out for me was the blend of shredded carbon fiber and damascus. The knife has an overall length of 7.89", a blade of 3.48", and has a weight of 4.37oz. The bold lines combined with high end materials make this knife stand out in a crowd.

A well designed handle will mould to your hand, effectively becoming one with the knife. There's no hard corners anywhere, making it feel like a river stone. Whether I hold the knife with my index in the finger guard or choke up on the choil, the grip feels absolutely perfect. The shredded carbon fiber is used as a front bolster, and accented with a gold anodized pivot. All the hardware is gold but the touch of color on the carbon just pops. The shredded carbon fiber dances in the light similar to precious stones, really eye catching. The lock on the Fenrir is called a bolster lock. Kansept calls it a liner lock but that's oversimplifying what it really is. A bolster lock is a frame lock, usually made of titanium with a bolster covering the lock bar making it act like a liner lock. This isn't my first bolster lock but they're growing on me, it's having the look of a liner but the strength of a frame lock.

I don't take enough about pocket clips, I often just say how good or bad one is. But there really is something that can be said about a well designed clip. Everything from angle, to tension, and shape make a major difference in how one performs. A lot of titanium clips I've encountered can be fairly stiff. The clip on the Fenrir, like many other Kansept clips is dialed in perfectly. Tension is on the money, goes in and out of the pocket smoothly, and doesn't bite into my palm when gripping the handle.

If everything else didn't say class the blade certainly does. The drop point shape with full flat grind makes it a heck of a slicer. With a blade this beautiful you almost don't want to cut anything.  Kansept does a great job with their damascus, this particular flavor being a raindrop pattern. Raindrop is usually seen on custom knives and high end production models. I've never seen it before on something in the price range, breathtaking! I've mentioned before in the Shikari review about the composition of the damascus. The damascus is the compound of 9CR and 440C. It's not that cheap damascus, or one that's lazer etched. It's the same thing as a stainless damascus like Damasteel, but not that name brand. The great thing about stainless damascus is it doesn't have to be looked after like carbon steel damascus. The only downside to me is it won't have edge retention like something S30.

The Fenrir is beautiful, and is perfect all around. The whole thing runs like a finely tuned machine. The damascus feels like it belongs on something more expensive, and it's hard to believe the wizard at Kansept pull this off. When it comes to edge retention the company makes the same model in S35VN. But I'll choose this one every time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SOG Tool Forum / Re: What SOG are you carrying now?
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 12:50:18 AM »
Powerlock saw to the rescue!  Had to cut the stump off at ground level from a dead tree in our yard. 
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Bijou confusion
« Last post by QGofLake on Today at 12:49:47 AM »
This is an awesome threat! A member directed me to this towards shedding light on a 623 aCr+ I have. Thought I'd add some pics of it.
The Outdoor and Survival Forum / Re: Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Belt.
« Last post by Chako on Today at 12:49:40 AM »
I agree. Anyhow, Fiskar saw fit to have a photo removed from the Facebook Multitool.org page.
Now that's a blade sir!!
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Trying to identify two 58mm SAKs
« Last post by QGofLake on Today at 12:46:28 AM »
^^^ @ QGofLake - Welcome to the forum.

We have a wealth of information here on the forum - in the various boards and threads - Have fun surfing and digging around   :tu:
Also folk here can probably answer any question that you might have   ???

You should also check out SAKWiki - If you have not found it yet
As I always say ..... "The answer is always in the Wiki !! "      :D     :climber:

In this case:
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Bijou
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=MiniChamp

BTW - Those SAKs you have are in amazing condition for very old models
Especially the Bijou ...... It must be 60+ years old  .....  :cheers:

Thank you for your help and the welcome  :cheers: I love the Wiki! No doubt these two are in fine fine shape. SAKs are some of my favorite knives. When I was a teen, I had a 58mm on my key chain. I don't recall exactly which one but it sure was a trusty and useful knife.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Delemont challenge September 2024!
« Last post by AzteCypher on Today at 12:44:21 AM »
I'm in.

1. Farmer X
2. Echotech
3. SurgeUK
4.  LoopCutter
5.  Barry Rowland
6.  BPRoberts
7.  MTSAK
8. AzteCypher
The Break Room / Re: 1111 posts and a palindromic song v2
« Last post by zoidberg on Today at 12:43:19 AM »